Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Top 10 cars named by Detroit news

sooner1

>>"Overweight?"<<
Every car out there could be lighter, every single one. But when I read overweight charges against the 4500-lb mercedes roadster, I'll conceed to an overweight charge against the Solstice. As it is, 350 lbs vs. the mazda is nothing, especially when it comes with more confident handling.

>>"No Trunkspace?"<<
meh- minor, but OK. Silly ideal in this class any way you look at it.

>>"Somewhat chintzy interior bits?"<<
Nah- not 'obvious' and too subjective.

>>"Limited production=ADM standard"<<
Limited production only adds appeal to an aspirational vehicle. Undoubtedly it will creep upwards if demand remains strong. Unlimited production didn't seem to do the miata's appeal & resale much good over time.

>>"Overweight?"<<
Every car out there could be lighter, every single one. But when I read overweight charges against the 4500-lb mercedes roadster, I'll conceed to an overweight charge against the Solstice. As it is, 350 lbs vs. the mazda is nothing, especially when it comes with more confident handling.

[post="62724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

November '02 issue of C/D:

THE VERDICT
Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG
Highs: Prodigious thrust, execujet style, execujet comfort.
Lows: Full-size-SUV curb weight.

But as we strapped on a new SL55 to head home, the nagging question persisted: What's up with all this avoirdupois? The standard SL500 we tested last April was certainly no wraith. When the readouts on the C/D scales finally settled, the tally for that one stood at a resounding 4172 pounds. That's SUV territory, but even so, the AMG version is heftier: 4411 pounds. What's the deal? Weight is the enemy. These guys must know that.

The Porsche and BMW roadsters must also be overweight, because they are heavier than the Miata also. The BMW is actually heavier than the Solstice. So if it needs to be mentioned for the Solstice, it should also be mentioned for the BMW and Porsche as well.

[post="62775"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Solstice is great, no doubt, and hopefully a harbinger of what's to come from GM's Lutzified lineup...

However, It's porky for a 4 cylinder Miata competitor. Comparing it to an SL55 (SL's have been pigs for 3 generations), a Z4 or Boxster isn't going to change that.

And, say what you will, having a car of any stripe that doesn't have enough storage for an overnight bag for 2 with the top down (why else would u buy one of these?) is an enormous oversight and a design flaw.

It's not a high dollar sport car where the owner has 4 other cars. It's one of those cars that the average guy could aspire to...you'd think making it a reasonable weekend companion would have been prioritized somewhat.

I'll give you that the interior items are subjective. I think they could/should be better. If the counterargument is the price would have been higher, I'd say an additional $250 in parts would have enhanced the look and feel greatly, so people would have gladly paid $20,250 as a base price. (In a 60 month loan, thats about $5 month, right?). Remember, this is a car that Brings People back to GM, so why not give the interior a sense of occasion and a great, rather than passable, first impression?

ADM sucks. I don't care what anyone says. I work for a large dealer group and it's always an insult. Paying for air leaves the customer feeling like they got shafted. (

I didn't mean to start anything by it- but come one, admit it- the Solstice is an incredibly impractical vehicle. It's just awesome looking- I'm not denying that, and nobody else is... but I do hold for what the Lucerne OFFERS over the Solstice, the Solstice lacks in almost everything but size and weight. The Solstice is a very vain vehicle- strictly eyecandy. I'm not saying that's the downfall of the car- all cars should have such appeal. But the Lucerne is terribly practical and elegant, especially for the price it's at is all... I mean the Lucerne looks good but everybody looks in awe at the Solstice so the Lucerne could fly and get 2000 miles per gallon on top of it, I still think people would choose the Solstice is all I'm saying.

I understand Cananopies point about the Lucerne being over shawdowed due to the sex appeal of the roadster. At the same time a roadster is much more than eye candy.

Ill have to agree with enzl if the lugage area is as bad as it sounds. To design an entire chassis which lacks a few sq ft. was very foolish. My 64 Alpine weighed 2333 and was considered heavy against it competition, yet it had enough room behind the seats and in the huge trunk to go camping in. Thats not progress and once again proves "today" is not all that.

Ill also agree about any cheapness in interior or any materials. Thing is it would not cost 250 extra, in production volumn, better grade materials or improved designs would amount to a few dollars per unit.

Maybe GM needs to take a better look at their suppliers.

In house is always cheaper, always unless you have slacking idiots in charge and not doing their job, which is making sure everyone else is doing their job.

Behead the penny pinchers, their cheapness does not justify their paychecks. Save money on foolish payroll such as bean counters and afternoon golfers and apply it to materials and design.

>>"Overweight?"<<

>>"No Trunkspace?"<<
meh- minor, but OK. Silly ideal in this class any way you look at it.

>>"Somewhat chintzy interior bits?"<<
Nah- not 'obvious' and too subjective.

[post="62724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Disagree with you balthazar in a MAJOR way.

The lack of trunk space is a total deal-killer for me.

The reason I LIKE my C6 convertible (and why I'd pick a Miata over a Solstice) is because, even with the top down, there is still plenty of trunk space for two roller bags and a bit more stuff.

One of the pleasures of owning a convertible is the ability to take short trips....driving with the top stowed. With Solstice, you can't take ANY luggage with you (I believe it's 1 cu. ft. or LESS with the top down) if you are going to drive with the top down.

SO, therefore, if you want to go on a trip in your Solistice, and have to take ANY luggage with you, you have to go on your trip driving with the top UP. That, to me, totally negates any reason for buying a convertible.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in SoCal, it's a rare event that I drive my C6 with the top UP. If I had a Solstice, I'd never be able to go anywhere.....go golfing....take luggage on a trip....even run errands and go shopping...! UNLESS I threw everything in the passenger seat instead....and THAT negates taking anyone along with you.

As far as the interior quality....I've ranted on that already....it's a great-LOOKING interior that's way let down by shoddy plastics and fit-and-finish. Miata is quite superior in this regard.

Disagree with you balthazar in a MAJOR way.

The lack of trunk space is a total deal-killer for me.

The reason I LIKE my C6 convertible (and why I'd pick a Miata over a Solstice) is because, even with the top down, there is still plenty of trunk space for two roller bags and a bit more stuff.

One of the pleasures of owning a convertible is the ability to take short trips....driving with the top stowed.  With Solstice, you can't take ANY luggage with you (I believe it's 1 cu. ft. or LESS with the top down) if you are going to drive with the top down.

SO, therefore, if you want to go on a trip in your Solistice, and have to take ANY luggage with you, you have to go on your trip driving with the top UP.  That, to me, totally negates any reason for buying a convertible.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in SoCal, it's a rare event that I drive my C6 with the top UP.  If I had a Solstice, I'd never be able to go anywhere.....go golfing....take luggage on a trip....even run errands and go shopping...!  UNLESS I threw everything in the passenger seat instead....and THAT negates taking anyone along with you.

As far as the interior quality....I've ranted on that already....it's a great-LOOKING interior that's way let down by shoddy plastics and fit-and-finish.  Miata is quite superior in this regard.

[post="63083"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Cant you just get all your clothes vaccuum packed? If they can fit t-shirts in a shot glass, I'm sure you could fit everything you need in 1 cu. ft. :P

But seriously, I do see the need for some trunk space, at least enough to fit clothes for a weekend. Although it wouldnt be an issue for me because the only time I open the trunk on my Grand Prix is to change CDs.

Good to hear because I just bought one!

[post="62347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Congratulations, Buickguy!! Tell us all about it; model, color, engine, options, etc..

I test drove a white CXL with the V8 and all available options, and I was very impressed. I'm usually a big Chevy guy and was thinking about a new Impala SS, but may spend a few extra bucks and go for the larger car with the nicer ride....

Anyway, hope you like your new ride, would love to hear all about it...

It's sharkskin csx v-8 with everything. It is so fast and handles better than the Mercedes did. The color glimmers in the sun and gets lots of looks from people on the highway. I'm waiting for some nasty weather so I can blast away the frost on the windshield. I recommend this car to anyone.

It's sharkskin csx v-8 with everything. It is so fast and handles better than the Mercedes did. The color glimmers in the sun and gets lots of looks from people on the highway. I'm waiting for some nasty weather so I can blast away the frost on the windshield. I recommend this car to anyone.

[post="65221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

hehe you sound like a kid in a candy shop :P

Cant you just get all your clothes vaccuum packed? If they can fit t-shirts in a shot glass, I'm sure you could fit everything you need in 1 cu. ft. :P

But seriously, I do see the need for some trunk space, at least enough to fit clothes for a weekend. Although it wouldnt be an issue for me because the only time I open the trunk on my Grand Prix is to change CDs.

[post="63167"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's a serious issue this thing about trunk space.......I believe it's what ultimately killed the latest MR2....and according to my Cadillac dealer here, it's the main reason they can't make more inroads with XLR against the SL, etc. I haven't seen the XLR trunk in person, but apparently, according to him, you lose most of your trunk space with the folding hard-top down.....this is in comparison to the C6 with the softtop....which has PLENTY of trunk space even with the softop folded down.

Somehow, apparently, the SL manages the trunk space better with their folding hardtop.