Behold the egg!

Posted Image

Hey all, my name's Ross, and this fine machine you see here is my 1996 Buick Riviera, also affectionately called The Egg by my family and friends.

Posted Image

I was lucky enough to purchase this beautiful car in September of 2004 with just under 115,000 ticks on the clock for $2000 from a lady whose husband had passed away in May of that year. As a result of this loss, she wasn't financially able to keep two cars on the road any longer and opted to keep her husband's vehicle for obvious reasons. It's got a pretty strange choice of options when compared to other Rivieras of this generation. It's non-supercharged, sunroof-delete, and has no memory or heated seats or mirrors, yet somebody felt the need to spring for a homelink system, Bright White Diamond Metallic paint (extra $750) and, the strangest and rarest option of all, chrome turbine wheels. I have yet to see another set of these wheels on any other last generation Riviera in person, online, or otherwise. I've never seen them mentioned or shown in any sales literature for the car, and the Riviera Owners Association does not even list them as an option on any of their pages about these cars; the only chrome wheels they list for the 1995-1996 Rivieras (before they went to the seven spoke chrome wheels for 1997-1999) are the ones with the offset spokes, which in and of themselves are quite a rare option, but those I have seen once in person and in a few photos here and there. I have been told by a few local Buick dealers that these wheels were cast in a very limited number and then abruptly cancelled and changed to a satin silver finish (I own a set for winter wheels) without superceding the part numbers for anything. They said the reason this was done was because they realized that the wheels would not make it to warranty due to the fact that the chrome cracked around the sharp edges of the back of the spokes (chrome does not adhere well to sharp edges).

Posted Image

Yuck. Looks like that part of the story checks out. This is how these wheels appeared when I bought the car. You can see the chrome flaking away from the inside of the wheel outwards in large pieces quite clearly. Believe it or not this was the best wheel on the car!

Posted Image

And here's what they look like after I spent a pretty penny having them reconditioned and rechromed because I loved them so much. Tires are Michelin Symmetrys with a six millimeter whitewall (The same tire you see many new Lincoln Town Cars and Mercury Grand Marquis's leaving the factory with) which I think really pop with the chrome wheels and Bright White Diamond paint. As you can see they still retain the center caps in original condition; if anybody out there has a set of these they are worth their weight in gold to me. As I said before, I was told that when the finish was changed the part numbers were not superceded. So could a set of these be sitting new in boxes somewhere on a warehouse shelf? Perhaps, but who is going to take the time to open every box to see if they're chrome or satin silver? People who know these cars ask me if I've had a set of satin silver wheels chromed; thankfully this car came with a full-size spare in the trunk courtesy of one of its previous owners that I have left alone, in all of its flaking rusted glory, so that I can show them what one of the originals looks like.

As a result of this strange wheel issue, my question to you guys is this: can any of you out there help me to either confirm or deny what i was told by the dealers about these being an extremely limited production factory option? It seems plausible, and the part numbers are indeed not superceded (when trying to order a new set of wheels and hubcaps by taking the numbers right off of them and giving them to the parts manager, I was greeted with a new set of satin silver wheels and center caps a week later).

Thanks in advance for any comments I receive in regards to this or otherwise; you seem like a pretty cool bunch :lol:

I've seen those turbine wheels on one Riv in this area a long time ago. Stuck in my mind because of their unusual design. Nice car. Always liked the last Rivs - even with their pinched-rear proportions - especially the gauges and the excellent G-body underpinnings, no doubt the best FWD platform in the world. Sucks that its a bit decontented, though.

Hmmm.....

Nice Riv, XP!

A cousin of mine has an '85 Riviera....grey in color ... gorgeous car!

As for the last generation Rivs...I've always wanted one....just haven't found one to my liking yet...he he he.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I wonder if it's too late" ... Nickelback ... 'Photograph'

Hey Ross, I can investigate for you. I need you to copy down your option codes and send them to me. Look for the option label, it is probably underneath the spare tire cover in the trunk. If it's not there, let me know, I can track that label down for you. The factory wheel code is on that label. You have me curious now.

Welcome to the boards.

Doesn't Sixty8 have a red CdV like that?

[post="64653"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's MY red Coupe Deville that Sixty8's been gracious enough to hook me up with storage with since I bought it a while ago. There was talk of him buying it for a while but for some reason I just couldn't let the old girl go so easily, even if it was to a good home that I could visit any time day or night!

But for the record, the group photo you see in my sig WAS taken in Sixty8's side yard :)

hmmm... "storage", eh?

How come he stuck a wreath on it and has pictures of his daughter on it if it's just being "stored"?

:)

[post="64660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This thread explains the origins of the wreath and whose idea it was. As for his daughter sitting on it for the photograph, well, why not take that if you had one of those sitting out in your yard? :)

I can't believe you even question me, knowing that Sixty8's a DATSUN man now :P

Yeah me and him both have put some mileage on the old girl since it's taken up residence at his house. But I'm on winter break from school now and won't be back until January 26th, so it's time for the work to begin!

What needs to be done?

[post="64671"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm pretty sure if I sat here and listed everything the admins would ban me for spamming, but basically it consists of a good bit of tuneup and cosmetic work under the hood (Who knows, maybe even a complete top end rebuild if I completely lose my mind.), bodywork including a new set of rear fender and bumper fillers and new paint (body's very solid, just needs to be freshened up), new quarter roof, some interior work (headliner, front seat reupholstered, door panels, touched up, etc.) So I guess the best answer would be a little bit of everything. Given the relative value of the car you may think I'm a bit stupid, but I just REALLY like this thing. And at $300 I felt that it was an excellent price per pound purchase. Cheaper than bananas!

Hey cool you decided to show off the EGG. :D I'll have to post some photos of the old Cutlass since I stil have all of them on my Hard drive & digital camera. Y.D. Yup... like I mentioned a while back Ross and I have been going back and forth about who's going to keep the car but about a month ago he decided it was too cool for a life of Panther burnouts and Eddie Bauer baby-seats. :rolleyes:

Hah, Eddie Bauer baby seats. That's classic. If you're posting pictures of my Cutlass I'll be mighty disappointed if its burnout video doesn't mosey its way onto the board as well (with full story attached for extra hilarity of course) :lol: Edited by XP715

You know it will Sucka!

Hey Ross, I can investigate for you.  I need you to copy down your option codes and send them to me.  Look for the option label, it is probably underneath the spare tire cover in the trunk.  If it's not there, let me know, I can track that label down for you.  The factory wheel code is on that label.  You have me curious now.

[post="64611"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You got a PM from me dude, thanks!

Told you OCNBLU was the Man! That's why I drove out all the way to Amish country to meet up with him even though we could only hang out for like 2 hours.

The wood dash kit and your chrome wheels were aftermarket. Buick never offered a wood option other than the standard console trim and radio bezel. Those two pieces are actually real wood. The wheels on your car were chromed by an aftermarket company...most likely in California. They never did do a good job, and to this day wheel repair companies don't recommend doing it. The chrome wheels that Buick did offer on the Riv, and later Park Ave, were actually the old Reatta wheels. Also, the sunroof was not standard. They are really good cars that last a long time. My parents have a '97 pearl white/burgandy Riv that now has almost 170,000 trouble-free miles. The only thing ever replaced was some kind of fuel pressure thingy.

The wood dash kit and your chrome wheels were aftermarket.  Buick never offered a wood option other than the standard console trim and radio bezel.  Those two pieces are actually real wood.  The wheels on your car were chromed by an aftermarket company...most likely in California.  They never did do a good job, and to this day wheel repair companies don't recommend doing it.  The chrome wheels that Buick did offer on the Riv, and later Park Ave, were actually the old Reatta wheels.  Also, the sunroof was not standard.  They are really good cars that last a long time.  My parents have a '97 pearl white/burgandy Riv that now has almost 170,000 trouble-free miles.  The only thing ever replaced was some kind of fuel pressure thingy.

[post="65667"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So like, where are you getting this information anyways? First of all I've seen prestige packages offered for these cars that includes the wood dash kit. Second of all, though I can't speak definitively for the radio/climate control bezel, I've had the shifter bezel off and in my hands and it's plastic, sure as shit, not wood, and I'd be willing to bet the same for the other piece. And as far as the wheels go, which is the only thing I'm finding believable, did the company buy the satin silver wheels and blast the paint off and chrome them? Same for the hubcaps and they ordered and applied new hub emblems for all of them? And yes, the seven-spoke chrome wheels offered from 1997-1999 on these cars were derived from the Reatta's wheels, but my style as well as the ones with the offest spokes were not. My style is a variant of a LeSabre/Park Avenue wheel. The question I'm asking is why do the offset spokes in chrome appear as an option in Buick sales literature but mine do not; is it a dealer special that some old man got taken for a ride on? Not likely, since the car started its life out as a lease car in Michigan. I'd like to know how this car was ordered, and I'm also trying to get to the bottom of what the salesmen and parts managers told me about the limited castings and whether it's true or not.

Basically what I'm asking is if this car is just a weird one that got out the door, which isn't much of a stretch considering it's a General Motors product. Lease cars don't exactly get special ordered as specifically as this one was; they show up. I think it may just be a strange one that I ended up with, whose options got sent down the pipe at the factory in some strange order; Wouldn't be the first time I've owned something by GM out of the ordinary. See that '77 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme in my signature? That car was built so early in the run (9/76) that its VIN number is not completely consistent to either 1976 OR 1977; it's a 1977 VIN number that carries the 1976 body designation for a Cutlass Supreme. Ultra low options (manual door locks, manual windows, AM radio, vinyl headliner, steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps, no frills whatsoever), yet it had a Rocket 350. But as far as the egg goes, we'll see what Ocnblu's able to turn up in terms of facts and figures on the options.

Sorry for the delay, Martini and Rossi, it's end of month/end of year at work... LOTS of paper work to catch up on... I gotta go in today, in fact. I am curious to find out about your car though, and I'll letcha know as soon as I can. :)

So like, where are you getting this information anyways? First of all I've seen prestige packages offered for these cars that includes the wood dash kit. Second of all, though I can't speak definitively for the radio/climate control bezel, I've had the shifter bezel off and in my hands and it's plastic, sure as shit, not wood, and I'd be willing to bet the same for the other piece. And as far as the wheels go, which is the only thing I'm finding believable, did the company buy the satin silver wheels and blast the paint off and chrome them? Same for the hubcaps and they ordered and applied new hub emblems for all of them? And yes, the seven-spoke chrome wheels offered from 1997-1999 on these cars were derived from the Reatta's wheels, but my style as well as the ones with the offest spokes were not. My style is a variant of a LeSabre/Park Avenue wheel. The question I'm asking is why do the offset spokes in chrome appear as an option in Buick sales literature but mine do not; is it a dealer special that some old man got taken for a ride on? Not likely, since the car started its life out as a lease car in Michigan. I'd like to know how this car was ordered, and I'm also trying to get to the bottom of what the salesmen and parts managers told me about the limited castings and whether it's true or not.

[post="65678"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've been in the body shop business for ten years. I've worked at a Buick dealer for a few years right when these new Rivieras came out in 1995. These cars were the shit when they first came out...very radical! The "prestige package" never included the aftermarket wood kit--it was added by the dealer. The same for the chrome wheels on your car. The standard wood IS real buddy! Take a saw and cut it open. :o It's probably coated in so much clear that it looks fake when removed. The wheels on your car are in fact very rare, but that's because 80 percent of all Rivieras were supercharged. As I'm sure you know, the supercharged Rivs had their own wheel design. The wheels on the s/c model were never offered as chrome either, but I have seen several done by a company in California. When my parents bought their '97 Riv, I looked into getting theirs chrome plated. They guy that did all of our alloy wheel repairs said he remembered chrome plating Riviera wheels, but they had alot of problems with them and didn't recommend doing it. He advised just getting the factory Riv/Park Ave chromes. And yes, they do start with a regular alloy wheel and chrome it. I'm not sure though if they strip the paint off. They probably just sand it down.

Take a saw and cut it open?!?!? NEVER!! Actually my radio/climate control bezel DOES have a teeny tiny split up in the corner; perhaps if I ever get a new one I'll slice & dice the old one just because I've had the shifter bezel off in my hand and still swear the effing thing is plastic! :P Is that common for wood accents in cars to be more clearcoat than wood or something? I have a friend with a '94 Jaguar XJ6 and they swear that shit's real wood too but to me it doesn't even look close since it feels so plasticy and it's that typical overpriced luxury car dark burl walnut finish. Mine at least LOOKS like real wood. You know what else is weird since we're on the whole wood thing? My car also left the factory with the light wood radio/climate control bezel and dark wood shifter bezel; what the hell?! I have actually seen this on one other Riviera that was on eBayMotors about a year ago though, but still. Who the hell ordered this damn car and what on Earth could they have been drinking when they did it; I want some too! :lol:

Take a saw and cut it open?!?!? NEVER!! Actually my radio/climate control bezel DOES have a teeny tiny split up in the corner; perhaps if I ever get a new one I'll slice & dice the old one just because I've had the shifter bezel off in my hand and still swear the effing thing is plastic!  :P Is that common for wood accents in cars to be more clearcoat than wood or something? I have a friend with a '94 Jaguar XJ6 and they swear that shit's real wood too but to me it doesn't even look close since it feels so plasticy and it's that typical overpriced luxury car dark burl walnut finish. Mine at least LOOKS like real wood. You know what else is weird since we're on the whole wood thing? My car also left the factory with the light wood radio/climate control bezel and dark wood shifter bezel; what the hell?! I have actually seen this on one other Riviera that was on eBayMotors about a year ago though, but still. Who the hell ordered this damn car and what on Earth could they have been drinking when they did it; I want some too!  :lol:

[post="65907"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The difference in color is also proof that it's real wood. I think it's the same way on my parents Riv. Perhaps they put more clear on the console piece to handle more abuse from keys, coins, and all the other crap that'll get tossed on there. I've actually used rubbing compound to remove scratches in real wood trim, so the heavy clear is a good thing.

Well Ross, I wasn't able to do what I set out to do. I was going to run your VIN on DCS (Dealer Communication Services, an internal GM website), but, alas, the car is too old. If the car were new enough, I could run a complete build sheet and a warranty history on your VIN.

PYO is your wheel code, so I called our parts counter. The guy gave me some part numbers. Your wheel had a first and second design, both of which are discontinued. The first design had a part # change.

First: 12536285
Second: 9592762
First after # change: 25557916

He found some dealers showing stock. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Sorry to butt it but since I've riden shotgun in Ross's Riviera about a hundred times: The two different colors of wood in the car are about 7 shades off... it's weird. One looks like mohogany and the other like walnut. Not even close if you're colorblind.

• 3 weeks later...
I've always liked those year Rivs, I've done some work on them before, mostly the supercharged models and the supercharger belt tensioner going out over time, but it happens. A friend of mine that works at Budwieser has me do all his work for him on it and its been a great car for him and for me to work on. It looks really good and I hope that you are able to keep it in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I like it :AH-HA_wink: One of those was always on "my list", but it would have had to have been an "odd duck" like yours, since I wouldn't want the Supercharged engine (call me odd...), and virtually all of them were built with it. But for $2 grand--WOW!

Thanks! That means a lot coming from a guy who has two Fleetwoods and a Roadmaster in his driveway; that is too cool! The next Riv I'm looking for is a supercharged '97-'99 with all the toys in the very rare Light Jadestone Metallic. Then I'll get my '71 GS boattail and be done with Rivieras forever! (lie) It really is one of the greatest nameplates ever, from one of the greatest marques ever. Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to get another one...

Thanks! That means a lot coming from a guy who has two Fleetwoods and a Roadmaster in his driveway; that is too cool! The next Riv I'm looking for is a supercharged '97-'99 with all the toys in the very rare Light Jadestone Metallic. Then I'll get my '71 GS boattail and be done with Rivieras forever! (lie)
It really is one of the greatest nameplates ever, from one of the greatest marques ever. Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to get another one...

[post="84934"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, that'd be awesome if one day the legend was reincarnated, but I doubt the chances of a coupe ever being released again.

A supercharged Light Jadestone Metallic one would also be awesome! I LOVE cars that are rare, by way of their color and option combination--just a really, really cool thing to have. Sorta like my one '93 Fleetwood that's white (common) with Garnet Red leather (very, very rare). Makes an already rare car even more unique :AH-HA_wink:

Just like Fly's 1 of only 23,717 Aurora. :P If and when a next-gen. Riviera graces a Buick showroom it damn well better be a Hardtop! he last gen car would have worked great wiht a B-piller delete. The Riviera name stood for Hardtop so it's insulting for all those 70s-90s Rivs to have a fixed B-pillar. Still it is a great marque.

I agree that the last generation Riviera is one of the very few American cars in recent memory that could have actually worked as a true hardtop, but least they gave the doors trimless glass and only put a very thin strip of black between the door and rear quarter windows; it's not like they made it big and body color to make it a point to remind you it isn't one. If I ever get crazy rich, though, I will make one of these cars a true hardtop and drive around with all four windows down every chance I get! I'd be so thrilled with how great the car looks that I'd be beeping the horn and waving at people I don't even like! :lol:

After seeing your car I was reminded of when they came out and how I always wanted one, I love the interiors on these cars...well needless to say, after seeing yours I've decided to buy one....and the one I'm looking at myself is white too :P although I did find a beautiful black one....I don't know what to do :lol: quick question what is the little door on the passenger side of the center console? Edited by Delta Force79

If I ever get crazy rich, though, I will make one of these cars a true hardtop and drive around with all four windows down every chance I get! I'd be so thrilled with how great the car looks that I'd be beeping the horn and waving at people I don't even like! :lol:

[post="87280"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This is pretty much the same thing I'd do wiht my 4dr Park Ave Ultra Hardtop custom I'm always yakin' about. Id' make a brace from the floor to the stubby-posts and reinforce the floor just in case of a T-bone.

quick question what is the little door on the passenger side of the center console?

[post="87645"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's an extra 12-volt outlet so you can charge your cell phone and still be able to light a cigarette if the mood should strike you (no clue if you smoke or not :P )

It's an extra 12-volt outlet so you can charge your cell phone and still be able to light a cigarette if the mood should strike you (no clue if you smoke or not  :P )

[post="87735"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do happen to smoke, so :P

thanks..well it seems I am going to have to wait about a month or so to get a Riv

That's fine; it's worth the wait! Just make sure you don't ditch the Delta when you get one of these fine machines for yourself; I recently realized the value of having a second car when the egg had to suddenly be put on ice for a month and I was forced to put my 1979 Cadillac Coupe DeVille on the road. The old barges really come in handy sometimes!

To answer an opening question- I had a '72 Riv for a short while. It had gotten slammed in the rear quarter hard. Tho I primarily bought it to liberate it's 455/TH400 for my '59, I did start to grow pretty fond of the car- even tho '70s vehicles as collectible/special interest vehicles are 'too new' for me. I sold a bunch of parts off it, got the motor/trans ad still sold the hulk for nearly what I spent. I would not be against picking up a clean on in the future...

A '71-'72 GS boattail with a center console and buckets has been near the top of my list of cars I'd like to own for a looooong time now. I'd only take a '73 if it were a GS Stage 1 as it was the only year they offered it in a Riviera. Sucks to hear that a '72 got parted out, but if it was really stuffed as bad as you say it is then it's probably for the best. I think it's cool that if it had to give its life for anything it ended up being a heart donor for your '59. Good to see you're keeping it all Buick!

Yes, Balthazar is da Man.... if I win the Powerball though I'll give him a run for his money on the WQ59B claim. :wink:

• 1 month later...

A'ight! Rek-o-nize yo.

Posted Image