07 Yaris

regfootball

"Reasonably pleasant to drive and relatively roomy, but unimpressive fuel economy for the small size and poorly equipped unless you spend extra." "Yaris seems to fall short of Toyota's promise of a premium vehicle at a bargain price." "$12,000 to start is a fair guess, and for that price you won't get a radio, possibly not a tachometer, definitely not anti-lock brakes."

Toyota expects Yaris buyers to be 35 to 45 years old

I bet it'll be older than that...I see more 45-60 year olds in Scions than I do college age kids. Actually, I'm a little surprised...I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here it seems like older people are trading in their Buicks and Oldsmobiles for Hyundais and cheaper Toyotas like the Corolla. It's probably just a regional thing since we have fewer import buyers here, but I've been noticing it more and more over the last couple years.

c'mon people, the only reason the Yaris exists in North America is because the Echo is like Canada's favorite car. If the Echo wasn't so DAMN popular in Tim Hortonville, it would even be here for sale in the US. Well, that, and the need for toyota to press its corporate testicles against the windshields of the Kia Rios and Hyundai accents of the world. Aveos too now, apparently. Take Echos away from those Canucks and they would probably revolt...... sad thing, the Yaris, Fit and Versa are nothing more than publicity machines (like the Prius), made to lead the charge of the Japanese brigade, saving the universe and ridding the world of oil consumption. Or at least that's what all the press releases will imply. all while making megaprofits off new gas sucking Tundras, Armadas, Land Cruisers, Ridgelines and Pilots. Toyota and Nissan and Honda don't care if they sell any of these super small compacts. its just a need for them to prove they are superior to the koreans and to bichslap the US makers in the PR wars........07 Yaris vs. 07 Suburban, which one is more responsible to our world today? is what they will say. And the press will be all over it like stink on sh1t. Edited by regfootball

Quirks. The gauges aren't all illuminated with the same color. Some gauges are digital readouts while others are conventional analog designs. Seems a visually messy hodgepodge.

This is one of the few articles that points out this trait amongst Toyota products. Say what you want about 10 round air vents and big, gray buttons, the instrument lights of a Pontiac all match each other. Worse yet, Toyota slaps admittedly nice-looking Optitron gauge clusters in every car yet uses the same 1988 pea-green backlighting for the HVAC/radio display. Awful and second only to Hyundai/Kia's laugable inclusion of old Panasonic VCR digital clocks in every...single...car, even 'luxury' poseurs like the Azera and Amanti.

MPG not as good as the Corolla? Talk about a deal-breaker as there is now literally no reason to buy this car unless you desperately want a three-door hatchback.

Where can I buy a hunting license to shoot these things with G2G missles? Unoccupied of course.

Funny because the new Aveo gets even worse gas mileage.

[post="68782"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, its not great, and its not that much greater than other GM models, yet its sure to cost far less than the Yaris. Plus, it doesn't look as woeful.

The Yaris gets 34/40 with the manual and 34/39 with the automatic. The Corolla gets 32/41 with the manual and 30/38 with the automatic. I don't why know why Healey said that the Corolla gets better gas mileage. Except for highway mileage with the manual, the Yaris is more efficient than the Corolla.

The Echo was fugly; the Yaris merely ugly. But the Yaris is bigger inside which makes it more competitive with the Aveo - the Echo had a woefully small back seat! Toyota wouldn't get away with this crap if Renault, Citreon, etc. sold some of their cute little cars here. North America is WAY behind the times with what is available overseas for fun to drive little cars. The Aveo with a stick is a fun little car to drive. The non-GM automatic, however, is a piece of crap: noticeable shifts and horrid gas mileage.

this is poor mileage for a toyota and only shows that the aveo desperately needs a tiny ECOTEC engine!

[post="69090"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

all they need is a 2.0 version of the ecotec, with vvt, and a six speed manual....putting out about 130/130 and economized for fuel economy and put it in the Aveo. Mpg is affected more by car weight than anything. Such a car would need to be below 2400 pounds or so.

again, this car only exists in the US because its so popular in Canada.

[post="69066"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know, they brought the Echo Hatch here, and it passed the test, now they're testing it in the US, my prediction, that it wont do as good as here, because Americans are not fond of small cars as we are up here.

Guest gmrebirth

The Yaris gets 34/40 with the manual and 34/39 with the automatic.  The Corolla gets 32/41 with the manual and 30/38 with the automatic.  I don't why know why Healey said that the Corolla gets better gas mileage.  Except for highway mileage with the manual, the Yaris is more efficient than the Corolla.

[post="69121"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, I'd like to know why he pulled those "facts" out of his ass, since there is no factual basis to back him up. Yet another USA Today article dismissing a new Toyota product; what else is new?

Update on Yaris pricing:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108765

"The 2007 Yaris Liftback will start at $11,530, including a $580 destination charge.

The Yaris sedan with a manual transmission will start at $12,405, including destination."

11.5K for the hatch really isn't that bad. And neither is 12.4K for the sedan. Keep in mind the sedan has almost as much room as a Corolla.

The end of the article was missing the "Why is it?" section! Ugh, I wish that we did have the small Citroens and Peugeots. They're at leas (to me) better looking and probably more fun to drive. Better yet, they are not a Toyota (except for that one little one that's badge-engineered across all three). I wish the Aveo had a small ECOTEC, whether 1.8 or 2.0 litres, and with a good five- or six-speed manual too. Aveos really aren't too bad to drive.

"Reasonably pleasant to drive and relatively roomy, but unimpressive fuel economy for the small size and poorly equipped unless you spend extra."

"Yaris seems to fall short of Toyota's promise of a premium vehicle at a bargain price."

"$12,000 to start is a fair guess, and for that price you won't get a radio, possibly not a tachometer, definitely not anti-lock brakes."

[post="68510"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I get the feeling the Aveo could make a killing on the Yaris...if-the Aveo offers
more for the money...

People in this price range want value...