Grand Prix Makeover?

Any plans in the works for a refreshed or completely remodeled Grand Prix? I'm not super fond of the current model. Sometimes I like it, but others its just so-so for me. I'll be in the market for my next car in about another 1.5-2 years and will be needing a 4-dr, but want to retain some sportiness and power. Grand Prix and Impala is about all I got in the right price range and size. Neither really screams to me, but maybe a new style would. I really miss the Bonneville now that I've paid more attention to the GXP(?) models of 2005. I keep hearing 'G8' getting thrown around, will this be the Grand Prix replacement or a step up the ladder(Ala Bonneville replacement)?

Any insight would be appreciated...pics maybe?

That's true, but then why would I pay more for a CTS with little amenities, when I can have so much more for less money? That's seems to be the conundrum I am having right now.

As for the original question for this topic...is there any new Grand Prix/G8 in the works? If so when are we thinking it will be arriving in showrooms?

I did read in Motor Trend, I think, that the 07 Grand Prix and LaCrosse were getting the 3900 V6 for 07 in place of the 3800. I'll believe this when I see it. Don't know whats going to take the place of the 3800 S/C. I would imagine the GXP will be retained as is. No mention of any radical styling or interior changes for 07. 08 is supposed to usher in a replacement for the dead 05 Bonneville and 07 Grand Prix called unbelievably G8, but this is old news now which may have been changed for all I know. Don't expect the new 6speed auto to show up in the GXP because it's torque rating is quite a bit lower than the 5.3 puts out.

That's true, but then why would I pay more for a CTS with little amenities, when I can have so much more for less money?  That's seems to be the conundrum I am having right now. 

As for the original question for this topic...is there any new Grand Prix/G8 in the works?  If so when are we thinking it will be arriving in showrooms?

Because with the CTS, you get Cadillac build quality and RWD. Something the Grand Prix doesn't have.

Having FWD and all that horsepower creates Torque-steer.. which is when the car can't handle the speed and starts to drift.

Edited by Cadillacfan

I drove the GXP for a week and it was a perfect compliment for getting out of my Z28. The torque steer is managed by the traction control. YOu have to nail it HARD to get the wheel to jerk, and even then it's not really startling if your looking for it. Since the GXP price has dropped, I have it priced out at $30, 500 - That's with leather/heated seats, sunroof and XM.

If you are into the "old school" cars, loud exhaust, V-8 power (even though it's FWD, it is fast) and not looking for a car to go to SCCA events with, but a very comfortable, quick and fun car, the GXP is great.

I've only driven the CTS-V (2005 for a week) so I can't say how the 3.6 compares, the I found the CTS a little cramped (expecially for a stick) and would rather have the GXP over a base CTS (the CTS-V was a brute) because you can have a loaded hot rod for a little over $30,000. If you want a more refined drive and can live with less power and less trinkets, then maybe the CTS.

If you hold off for a GP replacement, you'll be waiting for a while. I don't expect GM to put too much more investment in the W-Body as far as updates are concerned.

I did read in Motor Trend, I think, that the 07 Grand Prix and LaCrosse were getting the 3900 V6 for 07 in place of the 3800. I'll believe this when I see it.

Please don't tell me that's true! I think that they have to make enough 3800s for more cars than just Lucerne, so I think it will be around a little longer.

I, too, am in the same situation as the author of the thread. I really like the GP... save the Smokey and the Bandit front end and the too high beltine at the rear passenger window.

So, are we talking at least 2008 before a change, right? Please confirm, someone!

Edited by trinacriabob

Please don't tell me that's true!  I think that they have to make enough 3800s for more cars than just Lucerne, so I think it will be around a little longer.

Who says the 3800 is going to remain in the Lucerne for 2007?

I just don't understand how they can put the 3900 in the LaCrosse as the base engine when the output is actually better than the "high feature" 3.6L

I mean, in the Impala, the hp/torque ratings are 242/242 and the 3.6 in the LaCrosse has 240/225.

It'd be a step back. The 3.6L would have to put out more, or it almost completely defeats the purpose of the CXS trim level.

Who says the 3800 is going to remain in the Lucerne for 2007?

I just don't understand how they can put the 3900 in the LaCrosse as the base engine when the output is actually better than the "high feature" 3.6L

I mean, in the Impala, the hp/torque ratings are 242/242 and the 3.6 in the LaCrosse has 240/225.

It'd be a step back.  The 3.6L would have to put out more, or it almost completely defeats the purpose of the CXS trim level.

Try the 3900 on for size. I had it for 1 day in a 2006 Impala rental. Not very refined (downright crude), not that economical and not enough of a track record.

There's that guy who comes on the site every now and then, very smart (FS87LT, or something like that) who thinks 3800 will be around a little longer.

Why make all this fuss over 195 or 200 or 211 hp? You rarely need it. If I see that 3800 is going away soon, I will purchase either this car or LaX at end of M.Y.

Try the 3900 on for size.  I had it for 1 day in a 2006 Impala rental.  Not very refined (downright crude), not that economical and not enough of a track record.

There's that guy who comes on the site every now and then, very smart (FS87LT, or something like that) who thinks 3800 will be around a little longer.

Why make all this fuss over 195 or 200 or 211 hp?  You rarely need it.  If I see that 3800 is going away soon, I will purchase either this car or LaX at end of M.Y.

Well, it's been a while since I've heard it, but I kept hearing 2006 was the last production year for the 3800. I'll have to look around and see if I can find any confirmation of that.

It's really upsetting to hear such negative comments of the 3900... one would hope that a new engine that plans on being used for a while would be at least up-to-par with the engine it tends to replace. So far the ONLY benefit of the 3900 over the 3800 I see is a performance increase. Fuel economy is down, although maybe that'll be improved when we attach a 6A and DoD to it.

Well, according to this old thread, you may be right about 2008:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...topic=1817&st=0

It would all make sense though, cause in 2008, they plan to release the LaCrosse Super, so it sounds like maybe making the 3.6L standard in 08 and then some sort of higher output engine as the CXS or Super, may be what GM has planned for the refresh.