this is why i have anger

mute

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excessive mileage plus supercharger means he drove it fast a lot

that means that it kept the fluids flowing constantly and it should still be fine

besides i can get a donor car for a replacement iif need be

Which is exactly why you wouldnt want it. Too much opportunity for stuff to be broken or worn.

Edited by CD/BP

The mileage on this powertrain is of little concern.....BUT......you need to know what you are looking at under the hood. Things that needs to be concerned about is SC nose bearings and whether or not the engine has had oil changed regularly. Tranny has clean and unburnt smelling fluid, tranny is of real concern , much more than engine. SC nose is about the only expensive repair on the car, unless you have a challanged tranny or poor engine maintainence. Also if it has been taken off the road and can not be test drivin walk away, if you cant feel it you have no idea what kind of condition it is in. Turn key and make sure all the warning lights are working, especially the check engine. Then start it and make sure check engine is off, if it is on you have no idea how much it will cost to get it inspected, walk away. Find out how long the people have drivin it and what they are driving now, if it looks like a down grade or they only had it for about a year Id be concerned. Lots of detective work needs to be done.

If it passes this fine scrutiny then, if you can get it for 2000 it will be fine.

I know alot of used cars are very expensive but if you take your time and arent overly picky you can find some decent vehicals out there owned by respectable citizens that are worth more than cars priced twice as high. Brian is right about Buicks or Oldsmobiles being owned typically by much more responsible people. I do see the attraction to a 2dr GTP, for sure..but on the other hand a Riviera could be more pampered. I know.... its not what you are looking for :)

The mileage on this powertrain is of little concern.....BUT......you need to know what you are looking at under the hood. Things that needs to be concerned about is SC nose bearings and whether or not the engine has had oil changed regularly. Tranny has clean and unburnt smelling fluid, tranny is of real concern , much more than engine. SC nose is about the only expensive repair on the car, unless you have a challanged tranny or poor engine maintainence. Also if it has been taken off the road and can not be test drivin walk away, if you cant feel it you have no idea what kind of condition it is in. Turn key and make sure all the warning lights are working, especially the check engine. Then start it and make sure check engine is off, if it is on you have no idea how much it will cost to get it inspected, walk away. Find out how long the people have drivin it and what they are driving now, if it looks like a down grade or they only had it for about a year Id be concerned. Lots of detective work needs to be done.

If it passes this fine scrutiny then, if you can get it for 2000 it will be fine.

I know alot of used cars are very expensive but if you take your time and arent overly picky you can find some decent vehicals out there owned by respectable citizens that are worth more than cars priced twice as high. Brian is right about Buicks or Oldsmobiles being owned typically by much more responsible people. I do see the attraction to a 2dr GTP, for sure..but on the other hand a Riviera could be more pampered. I know.... its not what you are looking for  :)

yah thats what i was thinking, visit some friends in baltimore and check out a car? not a bad deal... unfortunately i cant legal touch the money i need to insure it so im out as far as this goes........my dad could let me withdraw from my account but he wont of course

Yup. Between that and a Buick Regal GS, the Buick is almost always a better bet because you know you have a 97% chance of getting a car not driven by a speed demon.

:lol: Tell XP that.

Good advice from Razor. I can tell you from personal experience that high milage cars are hit-or-miss. I bought my Fleetwood Brougham with 172K and sold it with almost 186K. Durring the first 11K miles I had great luck wiht the car. Fantastic ownership experience overall.... but after I bought my Datsun I barelly put miles on the Caddy and durring a three month period I lent it to tweo different friends with the understanding taht it leaks/burns a quart of oil every 300 miles of so.

They had it borrowed for a few weeks each and brought it back with a bone dry dipstick. The car was never the same and shortly after I sold it wiht a heavy heart. Two lessons learned there.

One last IMPORTANT tip: CARFAX. Spend the $20 it's well worth it.

The car itself is very nice... three things going for it:

1. Black

2. Coupe

3. S/C

Very attractive traits in a GP.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Check out this 1994 Eldorado. Very low mileage for a 12yr old car, interior and exterior look exceptional, and you get the Northstar V8 B)

Edit: it has a tranny problem, but still a great car that could be worth the money to fix the tranny.

Z28:

Good example of a gorgeous car... just remember that 95% of repairs involving FWD Northstar powered Cadillacs start like this:

Step one: Drop down engine cradle & remove motor/trans.

Which is why I want Marcia to find a nice GTO, Charger, B-body we can afford and we're never looking back at the Seville. SHe still loves it but I'm fed up with the FWD and non-existant access to anything under the hood wiht the exception of the dipstick.

Dude...listen to the others.  So many red flags on this car.  It sounds like you have your heart set on it, but BE CAREFUL!

hah i would have had a mechanic go with me

but as the title says my dad controls it and right now he says no car for me

im just saying for the money in this area thats an amazing deal, as was the eldorado but that eldo had tranny probs meh

no hearts set here ill be happy to get a car in the next few years

Some more sub-3K cars in the DC area: clicky

I tried using the "coupe" filter on Autotrader's power search, but a few 4drs slipped through.

Im one of the few that said anything constructive because Im one of the few here that has any mechanical ability, knowledge or experience. But as usual the little crocodile had to get his jaw on me....no dont listen to me, listen to the others. Then I must think back and wonder...what did I say that was not far more insiteful and more detailed and little different than "the others".

If you father wants to keep money on hold its most likely for the best at this time..believe it or not. Sometimes some people get things too easy and it does not always have positive results.

uhhh different money

and i have a seperate account that i can withdraw from but i cant explain how there is money in it and unfortunately i havent been paying taxes on it and it wasnt aquirred in a conventional way......so basically that account is being stopped from any further transaction

It's a sad day when Mute wants a Grand Prix and BV wants a 240SX. :P

It's alright, although it has alot of miles. Personally, I wouldn't trust anything with that many miles, not even a 240SX. Especially after the POS my GA turned out to be with only 118,000 miles. It was cheap, like that GP, and seemed to run great (minus the ticking, but it didn't hurt the engine, which, ran perfectly otherwise). Oh well... :D

But as usual the little crocodile had to get his jaw on me....no dont listen to me, listen to the others. Then I must think back and wonder...what did I say that was not far more insiteful and more detailed and little different than "the others"

:rolleyes:

Because... I'm the Pontiac fanatic here, the one with a crappy Grand Am. You're not the Pontiac fanatic here, the one that drives a Camry and Grand Caravan. See what I mean? :P

by choice? i think not im a car fanatic and im not particular about brand but i do recognize that those are fun cars

by choice? i think not im a car fanatic and im not particular about brand but i do recognize that those are fun cars

I'm just saying that I think it's somewhat ironic... You, the "not particular to any one brand" fanatic, wanting a Grand Prix, the Pontiac, while me, the all-out Pontiac fanatic, wanting a 240SX, the "not a Pontiac". Okay... I realize I'm different and special, but you have to somewhat see what I'm talking about... right? Or am I really that bad? :D:P

As the owner of a '99 GTP coupe, I can tell you this guy is a Grand Prix enthusiast. He has reflective overlays on the "GTP" emblems and the "Pontiac" insert on the lower rear bumper. GTP's are powerful cars that are driven hard when owned by people like that. I think I would know! :AH-HA_wink: If the tranny hasn't been replaced yet, it will need one soon. I have no worry with a 3800 that has 160,000 miles. The 3800 never knows it's old, and it never knows it's a six cylinder when equipped with the s/c. :P Like others have said, it would probably be best to find a GP OR Regal with high mileage that was owned my an older and more trustworthy person. Sorry!

I thinking of you today as I tore down a dark green GA coupe 4 clyinder today. I got the motor up on a stand and the pistons droped out. The OD siad 207,666[0] isnt that odd? same thing spun connecting rod bearing. The cause was lack of good oil. Is was a quart low on 1 1/2 year old oil. honeslty though this engine was in its prime. Very few wear spots. Makes me wonder BV. And it was a 17 1/2 year old kids car. hmmmm. I told the kid I could make it faster than stock with an extra $2500. So I'll eat the machineing and buy Intake manifold and Exhaust and pocket the rest

But yeah high miliage go for an older car they become cheaper..

I thinking of you today as I tore down a dark green GA coupe 4 clyinder today. I got the motor up on a stand and the pistons droped out. The OD siad 207,666[0] isnt that odd? same thing spun connecting rod bearing. The cause was lack of good oil. Is was a quart low on 1 1/2 year old oil. honeslty though this engine was in its prime. Very few wear spots. Makes me wonder BV. And it was a 17 1/2 year old kids car. hmmmm. I told the kid I could make it faster than stock  with an extra $2500. So I'll eat the machineing and buy Intake manifold and Exhaust and pocket the rest

What are you trying to say? That my oil is old and low and that I lack responsibility? :P I'll admit that it was time to change the oil (happened almost exactly 3000 miles since the oil was last changed, and about 3/4 of a year since it sat in my garage for the majority of the time that I had it) and that it had a problem with consuming oil (I had to check it regularly because of the headgasket problems, but the only thing I ever noticed was that the oil continuously decreased so I also had to keep it filled, which I did). The timing was either horrible or perfect, depending on your opinion. Still, the rod bearing is not the biggest problem, I've noticed. It's the overheating. I can't drive it as I can't keep the temp down. And that's in the winter... Something is f**ked up, I know that. Just don't know what is causing it to overheat at such levels. :unsure::D

Meh... I just want to get rid of it. That will make me happy... oh so happy, I tell you...

i saw a 93 buick century today that was completely stripped on the exterior, all the molding was removed and the holes were never filled, steelie rims, the grill was gone and the car looked like it had been stolen and recovered.....ran 12 in the 1/4 mile with its 3.8

thats a sleeper i wish i could do that and not to mention that it looked soooo american muscle it was ridiculous i dont know why maybe it was cuz it was basically metal and muscle nothing else

BV Since Ill be a pro with the GA after tuesday when the kid gets it back. for $7900 and 2 weeks Ill rebuild the engine give it high compression, all new cams, and Turbo it. Put a Oversized radiator and air to water cooled intercooler. with closer ratio transmission gearing. So what do you say.

*Fine print I get paid $89 an hour* **and I will put a hood graphic that says "whos says a Gay Guy cant have a Spectacular car"**

Over heating hmmmm. Did you ever open the hood and see if there isnt a buch of crap on the raditor. Or you can shift at 3500 rpm not 6500 every time :P

Mute one day you will get a car you want and that day is when you seat behind the wheel of a Caprice and not the back seat thats a horrible day trust me.

Mute One you will get the car you want.

That day will be the day you seat behind the Wheel of a Caprice. (laugh but you will love it)

A bad day is when you seat in the back seat of one. (reference to a cop Car)

BV Since Ill be a pro with the GA after tuesday when the kid gets it back. for $7900 and 2 weeks Ill rebuild the engine give it high compression, all new cams, and Turbo it. Put a Oversized radiator and air to water cooled intercooler. with closer ratio transmission gearing. So what do you say.

*Fine print I get paid $89 an hour* **and I will put a hood graphic that says "whos says a Gay Guy cant have a Spectacular car"**

Over heating hmmmm. Did you ever open the hood and see if there isnt a buch of crap on the raditor. Or you can shift at 3500 rpm not 6500 every time :P

Heh... I don't have that kind of money and don't think it's worth it unless you're going to do a total restoration of the entire car as well any custom mods I'd want. Since you're not and I don't have the money, no thanks. :D

Yes, I've looked under the hood quite a few times to try to figure out what the hell is going on. The coolant is full, the radiator isn't blocked, I don't shift at 6500 rpms... :P I mean, during the cold days of the winter, it overheated on me while running at a lousy 2000 rpms. No matter what rpms I drove it at, it overheated. I even took some steps that my manual suggested, like rolling down windows and blasting the fan (just the fan, no heat obviously). Again, that was during the winter, I remind you and it still overheated. All while I froze my ass off. I thought about driving with the hood up and leaning my head out the window... that's how bad it got... :lol:

When was the last time you changed the coolant? It could be that your radiator is plugged from the inside with all kinds of sediment.

My dad "supposedly" did when I first bought it, but he didn't do alot of things that he "supposedly" did.... So who f**king knows. I know I don't... Meh, it's going bye-bye anyways. I shouldn't worry about it anymore...

Theres also guys like myself that buy this kind of "hotrod" "for the wife" because we have to pound around in pickups or beaters due to the work environment. That way we get to drive the "hotrod" on Sat & Sun. Seriously I have seen a fair amount of GTP's over the years drivin by the ladies.........not that ladies have ever been know for good styling taste........ :AH-HA_wink:

My predictions about BV's engine is it has blown a headgasket, the knocking sound is most likely the sound of compression flying out the gasket this is also why its overheating. Many many engines by many Japanese manufacturers have also done this over the years.

does that engien have hydraulic lifters? if yes, the knocking could be due to lack of oil to the lifters and pistons pushing up the valves?!

This would be consistent with a blown head gasket as coolant would mix with oil (especialy when engine is hot and coolant presure rises) and the coolant would hinder lubricating properties in the lifters....

Mute, for the car, you could poke around on autotrader.ca in your area and easily find somethingyou like.....

Edited by TurboRush

I Think KBB.COM is much better!

you get my drift though....

that saying "thers other fish in the sea" not only aplies to a person you like but also cars......

you see alot of cars for sale that are a steal and you'd buy if you had the cash or has the one thing that you absolutely love and you feel you must get that car..... look in autotrader, kbb, whatever public classifieds, auto ads site for listings in your area/province/state and you are bound to find a fiew results that fall close if not very close or better than the first car you realy wanted.

Edited by TurboRush

My predictions about BV's engine is it has blown a headgasket, the knocking sound is most likely the sound of compression flying out the gasket this is also why its overheating. Many many engines by many Japanese manufacturers have also done this over the years.

does that engien have hydraulic lifters? if yes, the knocking could be due to lack of oil to the lifters and pistons pushing up the valves?!

This would be consistent with a blown head gasket as coolant would mix with oil (especialy when engine is hot and coolant presure rises) and the coolant would hinder lubricating properties in the lifters....

Mute, for the car, you could poke around on autotrader.ca in your area and easily find somethingyou like.....

Well, the GA gurus say that it has to be a spun rod bearing. I mean, at first I thought it was a blown headgasket, but there are no signs of it. The oil isn't milky, the exhaust isn't steamy. Um...? Again, though, I don't want to worry about it. I want to get rid of it no matter what the hell is wrong with it. :D

I know, but blown headgaskets make oil milky and exhaust steamy. So...?

not always true, headgaskets blow in many possible directions, sometimes its just compression into the water jacket which pumps coolant out of overflow, sometimes its just compression out of the side of the gasket that makes terrible sound.

my 22R had no symptoms other than low heat from heater core and early high engine temp followed by normal operating temp.