3 in 1 Compact sedans?

daves87rs

The Cruze isn't even an entire inch longer than the Cobalt sedan, leaving it nicely in the compact class. The Aveo should stay smaller, but will replace the Cobalt price-wise. The next-gen Malibu will switch back to SWB Epsilon. The overall difference between the current LWB Malibu and the last-gen SWB Malibu is only 3.5 inches. I don't think there will be too big of a problem there. This leaves room on top for an XTS (> 200 in) or LaCrosse (~197 in) sized next-gen Impala (the current one sits right at 200 in). The major differentiator is going to be pricing/design/content. Hopefully Chevy will play the pricing game right, and not rely on rebates that make the Impala/Malibu the same price or Malibu/Cruze the same price, etc.

Plus, if Chevy is going to make up 70% of GM's North American sales, they are going to need competitive models in every possible segment.

Edited by PONTIAC06

agreed...if the Aveo topped out around 16-17, then the base model Cruze could pick up right there seeing as the Cobalt starts at 15.

Yep.

I think the Aveo could be geared to the commuter and the "younger" set.

From what it looks like, the cruze will get marketed to younger families, aka like the Civic is.

And if the Aveo sedan is really close to cobalt size, I think more people would buy it, just based on room alone....

considering how many car sales in the next few years will need to be in the lower price classes all i can say is GM can not be under-represented in these markets.

True.

I'm not spending big money on a new car at this point.

Unless the pricepoint for the new Bu is under 20 grand like the fusion, the GM cars I'll be looking at will be the Aveo or Cruze.

right now OTD you can get new fusions and malibus under 20g. i would say get one while you still can. the mpg is close to compacts and the next mali and fusion will prob go up at least 5g in price. that 2012 ford focus, ford is going to try get the average transaction price up above 20g. they wont want the fusion and focus in the same price slot. ford tried hard with the contour back in 95 to jack up the prices for a 'premium small car'....and it didnt go over very well. but ford will be willing to push the envelope as much as possible the first year to adjust people's thinking....so that after that the high ceiling is higher enough so that whatever they end up dropping to to get sales volume at least they still can make ROI and get some profit.

Chevy I'm afraid won't be able to get the same prices for the Cruze that Ford will with the Focus, although I am sure they will try. In turn, that will drive down the prices of all the other Chevies under the Cruze too. And if the Malibu is still selling cheap then as well, its actually the prices and not the size so much I would be concerned with for Chevy. A lot of models all falling close to the same in real OTD prices.

right now OTD you can get new fusions and malibus under 20g. i would say get one while you still can. the mpg is close to compacts and the next mali and fusion will prob go up at least 5g in price. that 2012 ford focus, ford is going to try get the average transaction price up above 20g. they wont want the fusion and focus in the same price slot. ford tried hard with the contour back in 95 to jack up the prices for a 'premium small car'....and it didnt go over very well. but ford will be willing to push the envelope as much as possible the first year to adjust people's thinking....so that after that the high ceiling is higher enough so that whatever they end up dropping to to get sales volume at least they still can make ROI and get some profit.

Chevy I'm afraid won't be able to get the same prices for the Cruze that Ford will with the Focus, although I am sure they will try. In turn, that will drive down the prices of all the other Chevies under the Cruze too. And if the Malibu is still selling cheap then as well, its actually the prices and not the size so much I would be concerned with for Chevy. A lot of models all falling close to the same in real OTD prices.

I see more used car sales then....

• 4 months later...

first we will have the Spark. which is a microcar. I havent seen one in person but im guessing it is near in size to the Old Metro. If they can price that about 10 grand or even lower it could be a decent seller. Ive heard it will get about 46 MPG.

then the Aveo sedan and 5 door hatch. It would be nice if this had a base price around 13 grand. I would consider making a "sport" model with near 200 hp.

there is also going to be some sort of FWD two door/3 door hatch. Look for a concept of it at the detroit auto show in january. I would put it inbetween the Aveo and Cruze myself. Id also consider keeping the Cobalt name for this car.

Cruze is next and it will start in the 16's. also we need to drop in the 2.0L turbo from the Cobalt in this.

then we have the Malibu, which we be redesigned next fall.

then look for a new Impala, this will be built off the long wheelbase Epsilon II, in essence it will be about the same size as the Buick Lacrosse.

Malibu sedan, which is going to shrink a bit-

Might it be too many cars in one department?

the reason for the Malibu shrinking a little bit is because the next Impala is going to use the long wheelbase Epsilion. The next Impala will be simular in size to the current Buick Lacrosse.

With fuel MPG regs that are coming there will be more smaller cars than we have ever seen. Size will not be much different but I think level of options qulity will seperate them more than anything.

Yep...that alone will keep the Aveo and Cruze different.

Cruze for young families, Aveo for the commuter/younger crowd....