1977 Buick Century Coupe

My dad felt it was not right to spend the extra money for a 77 Cutlass Supreme coupe...so i had to settle for a Century coupe...not even a Regal!

Dug up an old pic. RWD! real car! LOL

less than 100hp!

I miss this car, even though I would have preferred a Cutlass.

I even had mounted an under dash CD player in this thing. One of the first mobile CD players there was, from radio shack.

Self applied pin stripe from probably K Mart! is that a SWEEPSPEAR i see?

post-16-12659597167056.jpg

Edited by regfootball

...so i had to settle for a Century coupe...not even a Regal!

I L-O-V-E it!

Those were great. With that 3-slat canted grilled (not shown), they weren't all that bad looking when shown from a front quarter view. The rear lights that came on in 1976 were a big improvement over the strip light from before. They even hade a limited release plushed-up model (a la Cutlass Salon) that had these plump, tall bucket seats. Don't remember the acronym for it.

How long did the sled last? I see the small ominous V6 badge way, way up at the front. LOL. Did it have A/C? If no A/C, the engine compartment is a mechanic's dream. How about a timing chain? They did go through those back in those years.

GM mid-70s colonnade coupes...inimitable and just damn great cars!

I L-O-V-E it!

Those were great. With that 3-slat canted grilled (not shown), they weren't all that bad looking when shown from a front quarter view. The rear lights that came on in 1976 were a big improvement over the strip light from before. They even hade a limited release plushed-up model (a la Cutlass Salon) that had these plump, tall bucket seats. Don't remember the acronym for it.

How long did the sled last? I see the small ominous V6 badge way, way up at the front. LOL. Did it have A/C? If no A/C, the engine compartment is a mechanic's dream. How about a timing chain? They did go through those back in those years.

GM mid-70s colonnade coupes...inimitable and just damn great cars!

i had the 3 slat grille. i remember removing those grilles for when we repainted the car. i had a combo in the back of horizontal and vertical taillights. I think I do have more pics, but I need to find where those are. I actually might revise this thread to include all my old past rides as I am going through some old pics and finding a couple here and there. I found some pics of the 77 electra and such.

It had A/C. Timing chain, I am not sure. I had the car from about 86 until (can't recall)...early to mid nineties and my dad sold it to a coworker for his son and they drove it a little while after that. I think the car was in service til about 98 or even later.

There was TONS of room under the hood. The tiny v6 ....my cat used to sleep in the engine compartment.. One day I took off on a drive and about 1/8 mile down the hwy, a few thunks and I looked in the rvm, and i saw kitty bounce across the pavement. I thought he was dead, but as good cats do, awhile later (days or weeks) he came back..his tail was a bit mangled, so was his face. I have never gotten such a stern look from a human before, much less a cat. Shocked he didn't pee in my face when i was asleep or something to get back at me.

I think the car was in service til about 98 or even later.

There was TONS of room under the hood. The tiny v6 ....my cat used to sleep in the engine compartment.. One day I took off on a drive and about 1/8 mile down the hwy, a few thunks and I looked in the rvm, and i saw kitty bounce across the pavement. I thought he was dead, but as good cats do, awhile later (days or weeks) he came back..his tail was a bit mangled, so was his face. I have never gotten such a stern look from a human before, much less a cat. Shocked he didn't pee in my face when i was asleep or something to get back at me.

That's great...on the road for 21 years, and in the northern tier of the U.S. no less!

Really sorry about the cat, even though I'm more of a dog person. They do stuff like that...crawl up into a wheelwell and "make a nest."

I just remembered...that really nice bucket seat equipped Regal with a trestle shifter might have been called the Regal S/R. There may have even been a Century version of it. Even though I really liked that 231 c.i. V6, it would have been nice if Buick also offered the Olds 260 V8 in this car, seeing that Pontiac offered it in the equivalent LeManses.

Thanks for the trip down "memory lane."

Edited by trinacriabob

Ohhhhhh....NICE!!!!!

Would love to see more pics of this car, if you find/have 'em ;).

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * my radio show.03/13/10 *

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Do you see what I see?" ... One Republic ... 'Stop and Stare'