Sign in to follow this  
BrewSwillis

Caliber SRT-4

35 posts in this topic

BrewSwillis    0

Posted Image

Simon Elliott, Managing Director of Chrysler Group said: "The SRT-4 has been developed by Chrysler Group’s ‘Street Race Technology’ performance division. All SRT vehicles feature unique exterior details, lowered sports suspension, sports interior and a powerful engine - the all-new 2.4-litre turbocharged engine boasts a tyre-smoking 300 horsepower to deliver a level of power you’d expect from a V8!"

The SRT-4 is a performance version of the Dodge Caliber and offers 260 lb. ft. of torque from a 2.4-litre turbocharged engine to reach 0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds.

Thanks to "Charger" on Allpar.com

6 seconds...... :lol: Try low 5's. Hope it has AWD available.

Edited by BrewSwillis

regfootball    234

um, they just trumped the GXP's ECOTEC. that lasted all of about 3 weeks or so.

INSANE...now i might want one!

Edited by regfootball

Two problems with this car:

1. Styling. It's tacky and hideously unrefined and yet busy on the exterior. That C-pillar is disgusting.

2. FWD makes the 300 horsepower 100 too many.

Cory Wolfe    263

Nice engine, hopefully they find a decent car to put it in.

:withstupid:

Also, considering the new TC Ecotec is 2.0L compared to the 2.4L of the SRT... As well as the torque ratings (260 vs. 260... *ahem*), It hasn't trumped it.

Edited by blackviper8891

BrewSwillis    0

Also, considering the new TC Ecotec is 2.0L compared to the 2.4L of the SRT... As well as the torque ratings (260 vs. 260... *ahem*), It hasn't trumped it.

So, because GM uses a smaller engine with 30 less HP, it's some how the same or better than the 300 HP engine in the SRT-4?

Remember that Chrysler was claiming 250 hp in the last SRT-4, when it actually had 250 HP at the wheels......making it closer to 300 HP.

Cory Wolfe    263

So, because GM uses a smaller engine with 30 less HP, it's some how the same or better than the 300 HP engine in the SRT-4?

Did I say that? No. I'm saying the hp/l is closer than to say it "trumps" the new turbo 2.0L Ecotec. It's obviously a bigger engine and to some people that's important. I was just pointing that out...

Remember that Chrysler was claiming 250 hp in the last SRT-4, when it actually had 250 HP at the wheels......making it closer to 300 HP.

Do you have proof of that? Somehow I strongly doubt it... especially when I look at test data. 300hp? 6 seconds to 60 compared to the Cobalt's 6.1? 14.4 to the 1/4mi compared to the Cobalt's 14.4? SRT4 rated at 230hp compared to 205hp for the Cobalt? SRT4 rated at 250 lb/ft compared to 200 lb/ft for the Cobalt? 2921lbs compared to the 2959lbs for the Cobalt? Um... 300hp, you say? Or even 250hp, for that matter? Why do I doubt that?

Cory Wolfe    263

Actually he's correct about the Neon SRTs performing better than spec.

Again, I ask for proof. I showed test data for a stock 05 SRT4, the data for Cobalt SS SC came from the same mag, a direct comparision between the two. Like I said, compare all of what I posted... Without offering proof, to say that would be incorrect by looking at the data. The SRT4 barely performed better yet it has the advantage in weight, horsepower, and torque. I'm just saying... :P

Anyways, Croc, I'm not bitching about it. Where do you see me bitching about it? Or anyone else, for that matter? Other than opinions and the discussion of the previous SRT4 (which obviously has nothing to do with the Caliber), I see no bitching other than you bitching about some imaginary bitching. ...Say what? :lol:

Regardless, I'm not a fan of the styling, inside or out. It looks like ass as far as I'm concerned. Is that denying that it might do well or that it's not compelling? No. Anything else, perhaps, like the engine? No. I dislike the styling. I implied that, only that... nothing else. Then I simply mentioned that saying the TC 2.0L Ecotec isn't "trumped" by this TC 2.4L by way of hp per liter. Again, where is that bitching? I can't find it... :D

Croc    268

Anyways, Croc, I'm not bitching about it. Where do you see me bitching about it? Or anyone else, for that matter? Other than opinions and the discussion of the previous SRT4 (which obviously has nothing to do with the Caliber), I see no bitching other than you bitching about some imaginary bitching. ...Say what? :lol:

I never said you were :rolleyes:

But these guys sure seemed to be...and you definitely agreed with CSpec...

Two problems with this car:

1. Styling. It's tacky and hideously unrefined and yet busy on the exterior. That C-pillar is disgusting.

2. FWD makes the 300 horsepower 100 too many.

Nice engine, hopefully they find a decent car to put it in.

Mark my words, these will sell amazingly. I wouldn't mind one based on what I've seen, the interiors are no worse than GM's (probably better) and the exterior has a lot of character. Plus, a hatch is a great idea. This would make a great first car for someone.

Cory Wolfe    263

I never said you were :rolleyes:

You never said you weren't, either. No specifics means you could mean any or everybody.

But these guys sure seemed to be...and you definitely agreed with CSpec...

Mark my words, these will sell amazingly.  I wouldn't mind one based on what I've seen, the interiors are no worse than GM's (probably better) and the exterior has a lot of character.  Plus, a hatch is a great idea.  This would make a great first car for someone.

Personal taste and opinions are bitching? Wow... That's news to me... I must not have gotten the memo. Next time I'll be sure to leave out any and all personal taste/opinion... I mean, I don't want someone to think I'm bitching, and then bitch about it. That would suck... :rolleyes:

Again, in my opinion, it's an ugly vehicle, inside and out. Terribly cheap looking interior and exterior, both of which are blocky. Going by my personal taste, I dislike cheap and blocky designs. Hence all of what I said and how I agreed with CS. Now... you were saying? :huh:

ocnblu    732

The hardware is strong. Hopefully, AWD will find its way into this car. Is it enough for me to overlook the high, narrow, blocky ass end? Not yet. I do like the front end and the concept though.

This car is the best reason yet for Chevrolet to build an AWD turbocharged HHR. An HHR with those enhancements would stick this thing into the weeds on looks alone.

sciguy_0504    0

Bitch about it all you guys want, but this is a very compelling vehicle for the market.

Now to see how DCX prices it.

BrewSwillis    0

Again, I ask for proof. I showed test data for a stock 05 SRT4, the data for Cobalt SS SC came from the same mag, a direct comparision between the two. Like I said, compare all of what I posted... Without offering proof, to say that would be incorrect by looking at the data. The SRT4 barely performed better yet it has the advantage in weight, horsepower, and torque. I'm just saying... :P

While this isn't very good "proof", I did find this on www.dodgeforum.com . There used to be a dyno chart posted, from a tuner company Apex-i, that showed like 246 wheel HP on a stock SRT-4 done as a baseline, so they could check they mods that they made.

The numbers vary and will be different from car to car and dyno to dyno, not to mention that the weather plays a part as well.

The first at the wheels dyno results I had seen were from Sport Compact Car magazine of a 2003 SRT-4 and it dynoed at 223 WHP stock. I have since seen 2003's ranging from the mid 210's to mid 220's at the wheels stock with a best of 226 WHP. I have since seen dyno results for the 2004 SRT-4 as high as 246 WHP stock. Most results I've seen on the 2004's are between the high 220's and high 230's at the wheels stock.

BrewSwillis    0

Full press kit:

Dodge Caliber SRT-4 Puts Power in Small Package

Posted Feb 7, 2006, 8:35 PM by Editor

Category: Chicago Auto Show

Just a month after the Dodge Caliber wowed the auto show crowd in Detroit, a high-performance version of the replacement for the Dodge Neon makes its debut at the Chicago Auto Show--the Dodge Caliber SRT4.

Posted Image

SRT4 project team leader John Cathcart discusses just how powerful this souped-up version of the Caliber is and how it got there. Excerpts from his interview are below.

What turns a Dodge Caliber into a Dodge Caliber SRT4?

"The first thing is horsepower. It all starts with the engine. We'll be upping the output to 300 horsepower, 260 footpounds of torque. That's always the prime ingredient of an SRT vehicle. It has to go fast. We of course, balance the approach. It has to go fast, stop fast, turn well, and turn heads. So we take that approach to all areas of the car. We're putting an enhanced braking system on the car as well. We always look for parts we can use from the corporate parts bin. SRT is a small organization. We are investment constrained typically as well as always after offering the best price possible to the consumer as well. The brakes, for example, we took from the Chrysler 300C. We take brakes from a 5,000 pound car and put them on a 3,000 pound car and the car stops real well. We've got performance acceleration, performance braking, now we also want the car to also turn well. So we need to have a little lower suspension. We were able to lower suspension by a half-inch on the car. We will retune the shocks and sway bars as well. But the prime ingredient of the car's handling ability will be the lower CG (center of gravity).

Tires are also very carefully selected for an SRT product. We do have a couple of good tire offerings: an all-season tire and then a higher performance three-season tire. All are capable of the 150 mph top speed of the car.

Posted Image

We have an extensive appearance treatment for this car. A new hood, a new fascia. Actually the cut line between the hood and the fascia had to change for the SRT4 in order to package the intercooler. We do bring the body sides down a little bit for better aerodynamics with lower side skirts, and a different rear fascia as well which offers diffuser veins for increased rear down force and better directional stability, better yaw stability in high speeds.

Posted Image

We think we accomplished all the primary functions of the SRT vehicle with the Caliber SRT4 as well."

How was the World Engine altered?

"The World Engine does offer a pretty good platform for the customization SRT did to the engine. Similar to the Neon SRT4, we start out by turbocharging the engine. We crank up the cylinder pressures, put a turbo on, make sure we're providing a lot of fresh air into the turbocharger inlet, thus we have a reduced restriction inlet system, and then good cold air at pressure to the cylinders via the turbocharger and the intercooler system. That's really the heart of what makes the Caliber SRT4 an SRT from an engine standpoint."

Bigger brakes:

"The brakes are a Bosch system brake, as for the Chrysler 300C. The rotor diameter is 13 and change on the front. The pistons I believe are 58 mm. pistons on the front calipers."

Posted Image

Transmission choices:

"The Caliber SRT4 has a unique transmission developed specifically for that vehicle. Six-speed manual is only available in the SRT4 version of the Caliber. The vehicle performance is so tuned around the manual transmission and the gearing and top speed capabilities of that transmission, we really can't offer a different trans in the car and still maintain the level of SRT performance."

Posted Image

Appearance features:

"Seating is another SRT core element. We have a car capable of high lateral G loadings, stopping, accelerating quick. We need to make sure the driver and front seat passenger are held in place. We have very aggressive thigh and torso bolster and non-slip suede surface area seating. We have a seat that will cradle the occupant, hold them for aggressive driving maneuvers, and also provide a fair level of support at all times. Beyond the seats we do have a unique color scheme for the carpet and the interior trim. It darkens it up a little bit to give it a more performance look. Also, we have an IP that's unique in that we've got a boost gauge that's integrated with the IP. It's not integrated into the dials, it's actually separate were a cubbie bin would be on the left side of the driver. We have added in that spot a uniquely tooled boost gauge so you're able to see what the engine output is or the boost output is.

The seats will have an embroidered logo in the seat back.

Why is the Caliber appropriate for an SRT version?

"The Caliber was a great choice for SRT. It's important to have an entry level vehicle in SRT and maintaining the Caliber's starting price on par with where Neon's was is an important aspect of keeping our brand alive and keeping that end of our brand alive."

Chrysler Group Media (Firehouse)

Thanks to redriderbob on Allpar.com

Edited by BrewSwillis

Croc    268

You never said you weren't, either. No specifics means you could mean any or everybody. 

Personal taste and opinions are bitching? Wow... That's news to me... I must not have gotten the memo. Next time I'll be sure to leave out any and all personal taste/opinion... I mean, I don't want someone to think I'm bitching, and then bitch about it. That would suck... :rolleyes:

Again, in my opinion, it's an ugly vehicle, inside and out. Terribly cheap looking interior and exterior, both of which are blocky. Going by my personal taste, I dislike cheap and blocky designs. Hence all of what I said and how I agreed with CS. Now... you were saying? :huh:

:rolleyes: Someone seems to be in an argumentative mood today...

MyerShift    7

Ah, my company. Except for some styling glitches, you do me proud. Coupled with AWD, where's you Cavalier, sorry, Cobalt SS Supercharged now?

* I actually like the Cobalt SS Supercharged, it's a smoothely styled coupe, but my brand loyalties lie elsewhere. Au revoir, mon ami.

Cory Wolfe    263

:rolleyes: Someone seems to be in an argumentative mood today...

Hehe... if by argumentative, you mean that I smilied while writing that (kind of like right now) at how silly (I can't think of a better word) you're being? Or by that I feel like arguing? Either way, yes, I am. Both would be true. I didn't like you're post as it you basically called other people's opinion/personal taste "bitching". Calling something as "bitching" can be justified, but I didn't see anything worthy of such. In turn, you bitched about people "bitching", aka expressing personal opinion/taste. Quite ironic, isn't it? :huh::D