Caliber SRT-4

BrewSwillis

Posted Image

Simon Elliott, Managing Director of Chrysler Group said: "The SRT-4 has been developed by Chrysler Group’s ‘Street Race Technology’ performance division. All SRT vehicles feature unique exterior details, lowered sports suspension, sports interior and a powerful engine - the all-new 2.4-litre turbocharged engine boasts a tyre-smoking 300 horsepower to deliver a level of power you’d expect from a V8!"

The SRT-4 is a performance version of the Dodge Caliber and offers 260 lb. ft. of torque from a 2.4-litre turbocharged engine to reach 0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds.

Thanks to "Charger" on Allpar.com

6 seconds...... :lol: Try low 5's. Hope it has AWD available.

Edited by BrewSwillis

Two problems with this car:

1. Styling. It's tacky and hideously unrefined and yet busy on the exterior. That C-pillar is disgusting.

2. FWD makes the 300 horsepower 100 too many.

:withstupid:

Also, considering the new TC Ecotec is 2.0L compared to the 2.4L of the SRT... As well as the torque ratings (260 vs. 260... *ahem*), It hasn't trumped it.

So, because GM uses a smaller engine with 30 less HP, it's some how the same or better than the 300 HP engine in the SRT-4?

Remember that Chrysler was claiming 250 hp in the last SRT-4, when it actually had 250 HP at the wheels......making it closer to 300 HP.

So, because GM uses a smaller engine with 30 less HP, it's some how the same or better than the 300 HP engine in the SRT-4?

Did I say that? No. I'm saying the hp/l is closer than to say it "trumps" the new turbo 2.0L Ecotec. It's obviously a bigger engine and to some people that's important. I was just pointing that out...

Remember that Chrysler was claiming 250 hp in the last SRT-4, when it actually had 250 HP at the wheels......making it closer to 300 HP.

Do you have proof of that? Somehow I strongly doubt it... especially when I look at test data. 300hp? 6 seconds to 60 compared to the Cobalt's 6.1? 14.4 to the 1/4mi compared to the Cobalt's 14.4? SRT4 rated at 230hp compared to 205hp for the Cobalt? SRT4 rated at 250 lb/ft compared to 200 lb/ft for the Cobalt? 2921lbs compared to the 2959lbs for the Cobalt? Um... 300hp, you say? Or even 250hp, for that matter? Why do I doubt that?

Actually he's correct about the Neon SRTs performing better than spec.

Again, I ask for proof. I showed test data for a stock 05 SRT4, the data for Cobalt SS SC came from the same mag, a direct comparision between the two. Like I said, compare all of what I posted... Without offering proof, to say that would be incorrect by looking at the data. The SRT4 barely performed better yet it has the advantage in weight, horsepower, and torque. I'm just saying... :P

Anyways, Croc, I'm not bitching about it. Where do you see me bitching about it? Or anyone else, for that matter? Other than opinions and the discussion of the previous SRT4 (which obviously has nothing to do with the Caliber), I see no bitching other than you bitching about some imaginary bitching. ...Say what? :lol:

Regardless, I'm not a fan of the styling, inside or out. It looks like ass as far as I'm concerned. Is that denying that it might do well or that it's not compelling? No. Anything else, perhaps, like the engine? No. I dislike the styling. I implied that, only that... nothing else. Then I simply mentioned that saying the TC 2.0L Ecotec isn't "trumped" by this TC 2.4L by way of hp per liter. Again, where is that bitching? I can't find it... :D

Anyways, Croc, I'm not bitching about it. Where do you see me bitching about it? Or anyone else, for that matter? Other than opinions and the discussion of the previous SRT4 (which obviously has nothing to do with the Caliber), I see no bitching other than you bitching about some imaginary bitching. ...Say what? :lol:

I never said you were :rolleyes:

But these guys sure seemed to be...and you definitely agreed with CSpec...

Two problems with this car:

1. Styling. It's tacky and hideously unrefined and yet busy on the exterior. That C-pillar is disgusting.

2. FWD makes the 300 horsepower 100 too many.

Nice engine, hopefully they find a decent car to put it in.

Mark my words, these will sell amazingly. I wouldn't mind one based on what I've seen, the interiors are no worse than GM's (probably better) and the exterior has a lot of character. Plus, a hatch is a great idea. This would make a great first car for someone.

I never said you were :rolleyes:

You never said you weren't, either. No specifics means you could mean any or everybody.

But these guys sure seemed to be...and you definitely agreed with CSpec...

Mark my words, these will sell amazingly.  I wouldn't mind one based on what I've seen, the interiors are no worse than GM's (probably better) and the exterior has a lot of character.  Plus, a hatch is a great idea.  This would make a great first car for someone.

Personal taste and opinions are bitching? Wow... That's news to me... I must not have gotten the memo. Next time I'll be sure to leave out any and all personal taste/opinion... I mean, I don't want someone to think I'm bitching, and then bitch about it. That would suck... :rolleyes:

Again, in my opinion, it's an ugly vehicle, inside and out. Terribly cheap looking interior and exterior, both of which are blocky. Going by my personal taste, I dislike cheap and blocky designs. Hence all of what I said and how I agreed with CS. Now... you were saying? :huh:

The hardware is strong. Hopefully, AWD will find its way into this car. Is it enough for me to overlook the high, narrow, blocky ass end? Not yet. I do like the front end and the concept though.

This car is the best reason yet for Chevrolet to build an AWD turbocharged HHR. An HHR with those enhancements would stick this thing into the weeds on looks alone.

Again, I ask for proof. I showed test data for a stock 05 SRT4, the data for Cobalt SS SC came from the same mag, a direct comparision between the two. Like I said, compare all of what I posted... Without offering proof, to say that would be incorrect by looking at the data. The SRT4 barely performed better yet it has the advantage in weight, horsepower, and torque. I'm just saying... :P

While this isn't very good "proof", I did find this on www.dodgeforum.com . There used to be a dyno chart posted, from a tuner company Apex-i, that showed like 246 wheel HP on a stock SRT-4 done as a baseline, so they could check they mods that they made.

The numbers vary and will be different from car to car and dyno to dyno, not to mention that the weather plays a part as well.

The first at the wheels dyno results I had seen were from Sport Compact Car magazine of a 2003 SRT-4 and it dynoed at 223 WHP stock. I have since seen 2003's ranging from the mid 210's to mid 220's at the wheels stock with a best of 226 WHP. I have since seen dyno results for the 2004 SRT-4 as high as 246 WHP stock. Most results I've seen on the 2004's are between the high 220's and high 230's at the wheels stock.

Full press kit:

Dodge Caliber SRT-4 Puts Power in Small Package

Posted Feb 7, 2006, 8:35 PM by Editor

Category: Chicago Auto Show

Just a month after the Dodge Caliber wowed the auto show crowd in Detroit, a high-performance version of the replacement for the Dodge Neon makes its debut at the Chicago Auto Show--the Dodge Caliber SRT4.

Posted Image

SRT4 project team leader John Cathcart discusses just how powerful this souped-up version of the Caliber is and how it got there. Excerpts from his interview are below.

What turns a Dodge Caliber into a Dodge Caliber SRT4?

"The first thing is horsepower. It all starts with the engine. We'll be upping the output to 300 horsepower, 260 footpounds of torque. That's always the prime ingredient of an SRT vehicle. It has to go fast. We of course, balance the approach. It has to go fast, stop fast, turn well, and turn heads. So we take that approach to all areas of the car. We're putting an enhanced braking system on the car as well. We always look for parts we can use from the corporate parts bin. SRT is a small organization. We are investment constrained typically as well as always after offering the best price possible to the consumer as well. The brakes, for example, we took from the Chrysler 300C. We take brakes from a 5,000 pound car and put them on a 3,000 pound car and the car stops real well. We've got performance acceleration, performance braking, now we also want the car to also turn well. So we need to have a little lower suspension. We were able to lower suspension by a half-inch on the car. We will retune the shocks and sway bars as well. But the prime ingredient of the car's handling ability will be the lower CG (center of gravity).

Tires are also very carefully selected for an SRT product. We do have a couple of good tire offerings: an all-season tire and then a higher performance three-season tire. All are capable of the 150 mph top speed of the car.

Posted Image

We have an extensive appearance treatment for this car. A new hood, a new fascia. Actually the cut line between the hood and the fascia had to change for the SRT4 in order to package the intercooler. We do bring the body sides down a little bit for better aerodynamics with lower side skirts, and a different rear fascia as well which offers diffuser veins for increased rear down force and better directional stability, better yaw stability in high speeds.

Posted Image

We think we accomplished all the primary functions of the SRT vehicle with the Caliber SRT4 as well."

How was the World Engine altered?

"The World Engine does offer a pretty good platform for the customization SRT did to the engine. Similar to the Neon SRT4, we start out by turbocharging the engine. We crank up the cylinder pressures, put a turbo on, make sure we're providing a lot of fresh air into the turbocharger inlet, thus we have a reduced restriction inlet system, and then good cold air at pressure to the cylinders via the turbocharger and the intercooler system. That's really the heart of what makes the Caliber SRT4 an SRT from an engine standpoint."

Bigger brakes:

"The brakes are a Bosch system brake, as for the Chrysler 300C. The rotor diameter is 13 and change on the front. The pistons I believe are 58 mm. pistons on the front calipers."

Posted Image

Transmission choices:

"The Caliber SRT4 has a unique transmission developed specifically for that vehicle. Six-speed manual is only available in the SRT4 version of the Caliber. The vehicle performance is so tuned around the manual transmission and the gearing and top speed capabilities of that transmission, we really can't offer a different trans in the car and still maintain the level of SRT performance."

Posted Image

Appearance features:

"Seating is another SRT core element. We have a car capable of high lateral G loadings, stopping, accelerating quick. We need to make sure the driver and front seat passenger are held in place. We have very aggressive thigh and torso bolster and non-slip suede surface area seating. We have a seat that will cradle the occupant, hold them for aggressive driving maneuvers, and also provide a fair level of support at all times. Beyond the seats we do have a unique color scheme for the carpet and the interior trim. It darkens it up a little bit to give it a more performance look. Also, we have an IP that's unique in that we've got a boost gauge that's integrated with the IP. It's not integrated into the dials, it's actually separate were a cubbie bin would be on the left side of the driver. We have added in that spot a uniquely tooled boost gauge so you're able to see what the engine output is or the boost output is.

The seats will have an embroidered logo in the seat back.

Why is the Caliber appropriate for an SRT version?

"The Caliber was a great choice for SRT. It's important to have an entry level vehicle in SRT and maintaining the Caliber's starting price on par with where Neon's was is an important aspect of keeping our brand alive and keeping that end of our brand alive."

Chrysler Group Media (Firehouse)

Thanks to redriderbob on Allpar.com

Edited by BrewSwillis

You never said you weren't, either. No specifics means you could mean any or everybody. 

Personal taste and opinions are bitching? Wow... That's news to me... I must not have gotten the memo. Next time I'll be sure to leave out any and all personal taste/opinion... I mean, I don't want someone to think I'm bitching, and then bitch about it. That would suck... :rolleyes:

Again, in my opinion, it's an ugly vehicle, inside and out. Terribly cheap looking interior and exterior, both of which are blocky. Going by my personal taste, I dislike cheap and blocky designs. Hence all of what I said and how I agreed with CS. Now... you were saying? :huh:

:rolleyes: Someone seems to be in an argumentative mood today...

Ah, my company. Except for some styling glitches, you do me proud. Coupled with AWD, where's you Cavalier, sorry, Cobalt SS Supercharged now?

* I actually like the Cobalt SS Supercharged, it's a smoothely styled coupe, but my brand loyalties lie elsewhere. Au revoir, mon ami.

:rolleyes: Someone seems to be in an argumentative mood today...

Hehe... if by argumentative, you mean that I smilied while writing that (kind of like right now) at how silly (I can't think of a better word) you're being? Or by that I feel like arguing? Either way, yes, I am. Both would be true. I didn't like you're post as it you basically called other people's opinion/personal taste "bitching". Calling something as "bitching" can be justified, but I didn't see anything worthy of such. In turn, you bitched about people "bitching", aka expressing personal opinion/taste. Quite ironic, isn't it? :huh::D

Yeah... SRT-4 was a cool ride, one of the few FWD cars I thought was worth buying. It was boy-racer but not too "Ricey". This just looks like a Chinese knockoff of the Vibe. :puke:

Oh gosh, I dont think this will be anywhere near 30k. Look for it to come in around 25k or even a little below.

You think so? I figured it'd be over $25k considering you can get a non-SRT Caliber to like $23k (if I remember right). I guess $30k might be pushing it, but you aren't going to see any discounts on it, and I'm guessing with Magnum sales slowing that they'll be discounts on Magnums by then, which would put the prices pretty close to each other.

i'd have to be siding with you on this one.

Where's the 2.4 turbo, GM?

Yeah... SRT-4 was a cool ride, one of the few FWD cars I thought was worth buying. It was boy-racer but not too "Ricey". This just looks like a Chinese knockoff of the Vibe. :puke:

No, a Chinese knockoff of the Vibe would look exactly like the Vibe. This is a thoroughly American knockoff of the Vibe.

The only Caliber that came in at $29K was on the preliminary website, and it was for the diesel option which carried a $4K premium. The Hybrid option carried an even lower premium.....which is why I think they were just preliminary prices.

The Chrysler guy already mentioned that it would be priced similarly to the current SRT-4. Which was/is $21K.

A little more in depth info:

2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4

High-caliber performance

Tire-smoking 300 horsepower?85 more than the original Dodge SRT4?and 260 lb.-ft. of torque

0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds

All-around performance of a true "tuner car" right from the manufacturer

Benchmark performance at the best price

Chrysler Group's Street and Racing Technology (SRT) group will take the SRT4 reputation to new heights with the introduction of the all-new, 300-horsepower 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4.

"The all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 achieves the SRT mission of offering benchmark performance for the best price," said George Murphy, Senior Vice President?Global Marketing, Chrysler Group. "With 300 horsepower under the hood, the Dodge Caliber SRT4 will dominate the sport-compact market."

With true tuner performance right out of the box and a great price, enthusiasts immediately took to the original SRT4, which was introduced in 2003 at the Los Angeles Auto Show. In the 2003-2005 model years, more than 25,000 Dodge SRT4s were sold.

"We couldn't wait to infuse Dodge Caliber with the SRT formula," said Murphy. "The all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 delivers a strong dose of all-around performance while delivering at least 28 miles per gallon on the highway. Our new SRT pocket rocket will be a hoot to drive."

Street and Racing Technology

Since its inception in 2002, SRT has introduced 12 extreme-performance vehicles, including the Viper-powered Dodge Ram SRT10 regular cab and Quad Cab?, Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 Coupe and Roadster, Chrysler 300C SRT8, Dodge Magnum SRT8, Dodge Charger SRT8, Dodge Viper SRT10 Convertible and Coupe and Jeep® Grand Cherokee SRT8.

Every SRT vehicle showcases five key aspects: exterior styling that resonates with the brand image; race-inspired interiors; world-class ride and handling characteristics across a dynamic range; benchmark braking; and standout powertrain.

The all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4's formula begins with powertrain, essentially explained by four numbers: 85, 125, 300 and 260. The 85 is how much more horsepower than the original Dodge SRT4 is available, which results in 125 horsepower per liter for a total of 300 horsepower. The final number is 260, as in 260 lb.-ft. of tire-smoking, push-back-in-your-seat torque.

Standout Powertrain

The all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 is capable of a 0-60 mph time in less than six seconds.

The all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber gets its motivation from an all-new "World Engine" produced at the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA) facility in Dundee, Mich. The World Engine is a family of small fuel- and emissions-efficient aluminum four-cylinder gasoline engines co-developed by DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group, Hyundai Motor Company and Mitsubishi Motors Corporation.

"The all-new 2.4-liter turbocharged World Engine delivers a level of power you'd expect from a V-8," said Pete Gladysz, Senior Manager?Powertrain, SRT. "With the engine in the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4, we were able to take advantage of tried-and-true performance improvements, such as increased cylinder-head flow and higher compression ratio, as well as newer technologies such as Variable Valve Timing (VVT)."

To achieve its high-performance Dodge Caliber SRT4 configuration, the aluminum 2.4-liter World Engine block is specially machined for increased water and oil flow. Unique cast pistons travel within iron cylinder liners, and are cooled by oil squirters and affixed to forged connecting rods for high-revving reliability.

Tri-metal bearings are used for the connecting rods and crankshaft for high-performance durability. A unique oil pump/balance shaft module keeps the reciprocating assembly well-lubricated and running smoothly. An external cooler keeps oil temperatures within a safe range.

The aluminum cylinder head is equipped with unique high-temperature exhaust valves. VVT uses computer mapping to open and close intake and exhaust valves at optimal points for efficient combustion and flow. The camshaft and micro-alloy steel crankshaft, shared with the non-turbocharged 2.4-liter World Engine, are fully capable of high-horsepower loads.

Free-flow induction begins with an all-new air cleaner assembly that draws through an opening in a front crossmember for proximity to cool air. The air is then compressed in a TD04 turbocharger specially configured for the engine's inlet and outlet packaging requirements, and sent through an intercooler to a 57mm throttle body.

Fuel is provided by a high-flow pump feeding injectors developed specifically for the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4. An all-new engine management system designed by Siemens?the Global Powertrain Engine Controller?keeps the powerplant running at maximum efficiency and power.

On the exhaust side, spent gas exits through a free-flow system that features two catalytic converters?one immediately downstream from the turbo, and another further along the 3-inch single-pipe exhaust system. Using two catalytic converters in this way provides significantly better "light-off" for decreased emissions. As with the previous-generation Dodge SRT4, the exhaust is tuned for maximum performance while meeting federal noise regulations.

Power is transferred through a dual-mass flywheel to the six-speed manual transmission. The dual-mass flywheel consists of two flywheels sandwiching internal springs that are specially tuned to reduce noise and vibration. The GF DMT-6 six-speed transmission, equipped with a limited-slip differential for uniform side-to-side power transfer, is capable of handling up to 300 lb.-ft. of torque.

Torque is sent to the Dodge Caliber SRT4's wheels through equal-length halfshafts sourced from Chrysler Group mid-size cars for their larger size and power-handling capability.

Functional, Performance-oriented Exterior Design

Because there is only one chance to make a first impression, the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 makes the most of it with muscular exterior styling.

">From the very first sketches of the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4, we wanted an aggressive, SRT-signature look," said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President?Design. "For example, because the intercooler is positioned so high behind the front grille, we moved the fascia slightly forward and extended the walls of the grille. The result is a much more aggressive look than the standard Dodge Caliber."

An all-new front fascia below the signature Dodge crosshair grille incorporates functional performance features including ducts that direct air to cool the brakes and a wide center inlet that provides air flow to the radiator. Fog lamps are also set into the fascia, alongside brake ducts. The 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4's hood incorporates a functional scoop that brings cooling air into the engine compartment and a pair of extractors that exhaust hot air.

"Exterior design that works as well as it looks is a requirement for all SRT vehicles," said Creed. "The hood design includes the functionality of bringing cool air in and getting hot air out."

The lowest portion of the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4's fascia, which acts as an air dam to direct air around the front of the vehicle, wraps around to visually integrate with the radiused wheel wells and lower side-sill moldings.

The rear fascia continues the muscular, functional character of SRT vehicles, with lower vertical strakes that direct underbody air flow out the back of the vehicle, contributing to more stability at speed. A single, 3.5-inch exhaust tip exits from the right side of the fascia.

Aerodynamic efficiency is also aided by an integrated spoiler above the rear glass, which incorporates the Center High-mounted Stop Light (CHMSL). This spoiler, which is nearly 60 percent larger than that on the standard Dodge Caliber, is tuned for smoother air flow and downforce while maximizing the rear view.

Four exterior colors will be available on the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4: Brilliant Black, Sunburst Orange, Bright Silver and Inferno Red.

Race-inspired Interior Appointments

In the "business office" of the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4, a new interpretation of traditional SRT themes is carried out.

"The 2007 Dodge Caliber interior is unique with sophisticated and contemporary appointments," said Creed. "When we enhanced it with SRT cues, we followed design themes that had been successful with the previous Dodge SRT4, including the graphic design of the instruments, separate boost gauge, and silver finish on the center stack and interior trim.

"Overall, our strategy was to infuse the interior with performance-oriented enhancements to complement the Dodge Caliber SRT4's aggressive exterior," Creed added.

Unique SRT touches include sport seating with aggressive bolstering and performance fabric inserts to hold occupants during spirited driving, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with a "carbon fiber" pattern on the upper portion. The seats, steering wheel and leather shift boot feature contrasting stitching. Also unique to the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 is an "alloy silver" finish on the instrument panel and shift bezel, and bright aluminum pedal pads that feature rubber studs for enhanced grip.

The center-stack-mounted shifter includes a lift ring to engage reverse, unique to the Dodge Caliber SRT4, as well as a leather-finished shift knob.

The instrument panel features three gauge "tunnels" outfitted with performance-oriented instrumentation, including a tachometer, 200-mph speedometer and water temperature and fuel gauges. A turbocharger boost gauge is located on the left side of the instrument panel.

For the enjoyment of audiophiles, the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 is equipped with a standard AM-FM radio with a multi-disc CD changer control. An available SRT/Kicker high-performance audio system includes 13 speakers in seven locations, powered by a 322-watt amplifier and 100-watt subwoofer.

Two communication options are available on the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4: UConnect? Hands Free Communications System and SIRIUS Satellite Radio.

The UConnect system uses Bluetooth® technology to provide hands-free wireless communication between the customer's compatible cellular telephone and the vehicle's outboard receiver. Bluetooth is a short-range wireless networking technology that is used to connect two or more devices together.

SIRIUS provides 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 customers with more than 120 streams of the best music, entertainment and information, coast to coast. SIRIUS channels include 100 percent commercial-free music, the most play-by-play sports, world-class news, as well as talk, comedy, women's, family and kids' programming, traffic and weather.

The interior of the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 is offered in Dark/Light Slate Gray.

World-class Ride and Handling

Another hallmark of SRT's balanced approach to performance is ride and handling characteristics that make a smooth transition from street to track.

The all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 rides on SRT-unique19-inch cast aluminum wheels with 225/45R19 W-rated Goodyear tires. Wheel hubs and bearings on all four corners are adapted from Chrysler Group mid-size cars for strength.

Upgrades to the standard 2007 Dodge Caliber's MacPherson strut front suspension include new suspension knuckles and tuned dampers with revised spring rates. Unique front and rear sway bars keep body roll to a minimum during hard cornering.

The Electronic Stability Program (ESP) is uniquely calibrated for the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 to provide excellent directional stability in all driving modes. In addition, stability is enhanced with a ride height one-half inch lower than the standard 2007 Dodge Caliber.

Rack-and-pinion power steering is tuned to produce easier low-speed maneuvering, without compromising performance at speed. The overall steering ratio is 18.0:1.

Benchmark Braking

Benchmark braking is another ingredient in SRT's performance recipe.

Although it's a compact car, the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 benefits from braking-system components designed for much larger, heavier cars. For example, front brake calipers were sourced from a premium brake system developed for the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and Dodge Charger, while rear calipers were sourced from Chrysler Group mid-size cars. However, all are painted in signature Dodge SRT red. Vented brake rotors for the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 are 340 x 28mm in front and 302 x 10mm in the rear.

The Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) was uniquely calibrated for the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4's performance to maintain directional stability without wheel lockup.

Street- and Track-tested Quality

The all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 was designed and engineered under the Chrysler Development System (CDS), the comprehensive, coordinated and disciplined product-creation process that improves quality and speed-to-market while reducing costs and encouraging practical innovation in new vehicles.

CDS emphasizes systems engineering, design and up-front planning to avoid time-consuming and costly trial and error, or changes during the later phases of the product development cycle. With CDS, all product and process planning is completed and fully integrated before production tooling begins.

2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 development also encompasses actual conditions, both on the street and on the race track.

To simulate real-world conditions, the 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 will have logged nearly 2 million customer-equivalent road miles by the time vehicles begin appearing in dealerships.

To ensure its track-ready character, extensive durability testing of the Dodge Caliber SRT4 will take place at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix; Texas Motorsports Ranch in Ft. Worth, Texas; and Nelson Ledges in Garrettsville, Ohio.

Process, Productivity Key to Manufacturing Excellence

The all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber SRT4 is built at the Chrysler Group's Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant on the same assembly line with the Dodge Caliber SE, SXT and R/T models.

Previously the home of the Dodge Neon, the plant recently underwent a multimillion-dollar upgrade to prepare for Caliber production.

A new body shop and other upgrades are part of a total program investment of $419 million that was announced in January 2005. The robotic body shop can build the Dodge Caliber SRT4, Caliber and potentially three other vehicles with no negative impact on production. Robots can make necessary tool changes automatically within cycle time, in about 45 seconds.

The 3.7 million-square-foot Belvidere Assembly Plant has approximately 1,700 employees represented by United Auto Worker's Union Locals 1268 and 1761. The plant began production of the Plymouth Fury and Dodge Monaco in 1965.

(Published Feb. 8, 2006)

Just so I can rest at night...

Dodge claimed 225 Hp for 2003 (Smaller injectors) and 230 Hp for 2004-2005 at the crank

I have seen in person completely stock cars dyno anywhere from 220-240 Hp at the wheels... Dodge was definately sandbagging on the ratings... :lol:

Just so I can rest at night...

Dodge claimed 225 Hp for 2003 (Smaller injectors) and 230 Hp for 2004-2005 at the crank

I have seen in person completely stock cars dyno anywhere from 220-240 Hp at the wheels...  Dodge was definately sandbagging on the ratings... :lol:

Yep, you are right.

I wonder if they are still sandbagging with the 300 HP figure? Just imagine being a young person who is trying to get insurance for your 300 HP compact car! :lol: