Solstice outsells Miata

The Mazda MX5 Miata has been the world’s top-selling entry-level two-seat roadster for 16 years now since it’s debut in 1989. The MX5 was the brainchild of Bob Hall, who is now working at Proton in product development.

But the past two months have been different with the launch of GM’s new Pontiac Solstice roadster which had sales figures double of the newly redesigned 2006 Mazda MX5 Miata. Pontiac Solstice sales for December were 2746 units where the Miata’s was 1007. January’s sales figures were 1990 units compaed to the Miata’s 1067.

Is this just a short burst of sales or will the Miata’s throne finally be toppled? Your thoughts?

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/02/08/200...es-miata-sales/

I pretty muhc predicted this as soon as I learned the price of the Solstice would really not be blown way off course of the $20K target.

Pontiac would have most likely sold more Solstice. A dealer in New Jersey is asking $31,000 for a Solstice with a $24,000 MSRP. I talked to a friend who ordered a Sky for no added cost after stopping at that Pontiac dealership!

go saturn!

haha pontiac dealerships wont get the last laugh on this set of twins... most people like the sky better anyway...

GM really ought to penalize dealerships that dont sell vehicles quickly... i suppose it doesnt matter if the premium vehicles get sold within a few days, but if it sits there... GM ought to give it to another dealership that will be more greatful for the vehicle.

...add a nav option

Who needs navigation in a car like the Solstice? Who cares where you're going? It's a fun ride, get lost on purpose, then you'll have an excust to drive around down back roads and go through the gears.

Who needs navigation in a car like the Solstice? Who cares where you're going? It's a fun ride, get lost on purpose, then you'll have an excust to drive around down back roads and go through the gears.

yea, i'm :withstupid: i dont want nav, because it would be fun to get lost

go saturn!

haha pontiac dealerships wont get the last laugh on this set of twins... most people like the sky better anyway...

GM really ought to penalize dealerships that dont sell vehicles quickly... i suppose it doesnt matter if the premium vehicles get sold within a few days, but if it sits there... GM ought to give it to another dealership that will be more greatful for the vehicle.

Why can't they fine dealerships that mark up the price? Or can they? They should, and if fines don't stop them, just cut supplies untill they make an agreement to not raise prices on high demand vehicles!! :angry:

I knew the Miata was in deep do-do when I first laid eyes on the Solstice.

Now, this needs to be followed with another successful launch ... and another... and another...

And a year or so after GM is back in the black, the media will jump on the bandwagon and put out headlines like "What's Wrong At Toyota?" and "Is Honda in trouble?"

If it bleeds, it leads...

You might give them the wrong idea that all divisions need a version (read: the hideous Stingray sketch over at the Chevy forum).

I think he was speaking on more passionate, outstanding products with good driving dynamics and nice interior design/fit-&-finish, not so much a Kappa roadster for each brand.

I think he was speaking on more passionate, outstanding products with good driving dynamics and nice interior design/fit-&-finish, not so much a Kappa roadster for each brand.

Have you seen a real Solstice? Seriously, the fit and finish is really nothing to bring home about.

Instead kudos to the recent Epsilons, which IMO is better. They did rushed the Solstice a bit, but still lightyears ahead of what used to churn out from the plants.

So the question is, will all of GMs Kappa vehicles be such hits, and would a coupe / sedan version be such a hit?

I thought it has been gone over many times Kappa will not get a sedan?

Have you seen a real Solstice? Seriously, the fit and finish is really nothing to bring home about.

Instead kudos to the recent Epsilons, which IMO is better. They did rushed the Solstice a bit, but still lightyears ahead of what used to churn out from the plants.

I thought it has been gone over many times Kappa will not get a sedan?

The fit/finish isn't something to complain about either. I've seen one and you can't really say anything bad about it. If you complain because there are some cars that are better at that, then you shouldn't be driving(that wasn't aimed at you, btw).

The fit/finish isn't something to complain about either. I've seen one and you can't really say anything bad about it. If you complain because there are some cars that are better at that, then you shouldn't be driving(that wasn't aimed at you, btw).

My point was, if both cars were in the same showroom, what would a customer think when there's such a contrast.