Junkyard Question For DodgeFan (or anyone who can also give input)

Okay... Here's the second question. Where in the hell do you find these junkyards? :P

There is not a single "you pull it" type junkyard in this area and I'm not sure how to find one nearest to me. All the junkyards here act more as parts stores that a few things they think they'll need, and send the car to the crusher. I've called, I've asked, no one has anything I need. I'd like to eventually upgrade to a set of leather seats for my Golf to match the leather door panels I have for it. I'd also like to avoid VWVortex as good sets of leather seats can be seen going for $300 or more. Any less and there's noticeable wear and completely trashed bolsters.

Okay... Here's the second question. Where in the hell do you find these junkyards? :P

There is not a single "you pull it" type junkyard in this area and I'm not sure how to find one nearest to me. All the junkyards here act more as parts stores that a few things they think they'll need, and send the car to the crusher. I've called, I've asked, no one has anything I need. I'd like to eventually upgrade to a set of leather seats for my Golf to match the leather door panels I have for it. I'd also like to avoid VWVortex as good sets of leather seats can be seen going for $300 or more. Any less and there's noticeable wear and completely trashed bolsters.

Bv...your going to be better off going the Vortex route. The Michigan (Ann Arbor) TDI guys come to Columbus to our pick and pull, we have lots of vee dubs through there, and I've never seen a decent leather interior in any of them...

YMMV

Junkyards in rural areas will let you pull parts if you just walk up and ask the guy behind the counter if it's cool.

A-holes in larger cities won't let you because they're afraid that if you slip on a hubcap from a '87 Ciera Holiday, you'll sue because you didn't realize you were in a junkyard and didn't think that sort of thing was just lying around for someone to stumble on. Also, they like the extra cash.

Edited by whiteknight

The first time I find a junked 1999.5 to 2002 Cabrio, there's about half a car's worth of parts I plan on taking. tongue.gif

Just buy the whole damned Cabrio. They have the horrid VW autotrajic tghat costs a fortune to rebuild, the dizzy female owners never change the fluid, and whole cars get crushed around here all of the time. I've seen a bunch of them go down at ACE iron and scrap, where I take copper wire when I scrap it.

But you should be able to find a Cabrio with a blown tranny cheap...and get a AAA gold membership, register the car, or use the old owners registration...probably help you in getting it towed home.

Or hell, if you find one in Ohio, I've got buddies with a truck and a trailer...I'd drop it off perhaps for the cost of fuel and a good lunch.

Good luck, BV! Keep us posted.

Oh, and congrats on the boyfriend you've had for awhile...glad life seems to be looking up for you.

Complete seat from a car ranges from $50 to $150 depending on the yard, what the seat is & condition.

Obviously something exotic like a set of seats from a 3 year old S-class Mercedes or a BMW M5 are not in this price range but most non-exotic cars are not expensive.

Just buy the whole damned Cabrio. They have the horrid VW autotrajic tghat costs a fortune to rebuild, the dizzy female owners never change the fluid, and whole cars get crushed around here all of the time. I've seen a bunch of them go down at ACE iron and scrap, where I take copper wire when I scrap it.

But you should be able to find a Cabrio with a blown tranny cheap...and get a AAA gold membership, register the car, or use the old owners registration...probably help you in getting it towed home.

Or hell, if you find one in Ohio, I've got buddies with a truck and a trailer...I'd drop it off perhaps for the cost of fuel and a good lunch.

Good luck, BV! Keep us posted.

I do love the idea of a tuned Cabrio. Perhaps a VR6 swap.