Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM to Campaign Against Ohio Senate Bill 204

In this day and age of big goverment here is the latest we are facing in Ohio.

Senate bill 204 is proposing that would let GM dealers sell other makes and modelin in their show rooms. It also would prevent independent repair shops and private owners from buying GM parts to repair thier own cars.

Read on to the story below.

General Motors is launching an ad campaign in Ohio to argue that pending legislation there could hurt GM's turnaround.

General Motors says the bill, SB 204, which the Ohio Senate is considering next week, would allow auto dealers to sell foreign-made vehicles on the same dealer lots with GM cars and trucks; would prohibit GM from selling its auto parts to 6,000 businesses in Ohio, including Goodyear, Valvoline, Tuffy and local body repair shops; would force GM to pay the rent on dealership properties that have been closed because of fraudulent activities or the voluntary actions of dealers; and would halve the time that GM is allowed to perform quality control audits of dealerships to prevent fraud and ensure sound business practices.

The first ad will run in the The Youngstown Vindicator on Sunday. The ad touts the 1,200 new jobs GM will be adding at its Lordstown Complex to build the new Chevy Cruze and raises objections to the several provisions in SB 204.--Karl Greenberg

Beware as even as our goverment has been working to save GM they are working to kill in in other respects. Note how the President has also stepped up the attack on trucks and SUV with even higher mileage requirements again. for 2017-2025.

Either way the 204 bill is not well known in Ohio so I can expect it was not well known anywhere else. I hope to think it has little chance of passing but to take away you right to buy the repair parts and make your own repairs with OE parts is a crime. I would hate to think I would have to drive to PA to buy my parts for my car.

>>"...would allow auto dealers to sell foreign-made vehicles on the same dealer lots with GM cars and trucks..."<<

This is currently not permissible ????

>>"...would prohibit GM from selling its auto parts to 6,000 businesses in Ohio..."<<

>>"...force GM to pay the rent on dealership properties that have been closed because of fraudulent activities or the voluntary actions of dealers..."<<

Makes no sense whatsoever. Very damaging...

>>"...would halve the time that GM is allowed to perform quality control audits of dealerships to prevent fraud and ensure sound business practices...."<<

Criticism depends on the current time frame, but this is still at least burdensome.

Here I found the bills for the House and Senate. I will just post the link as they are as very long.

Senate 204

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_SB_204

House 364

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_HB_364

The state of Ohio has gotten so screwd up over the last 10 years the rate of decline has accelerated even more under the latest screw ball Govenor. To be fair both R's and D's are at play here and both hold responsibility for this fiasco.

Now you see why few companies want to come to Ohio to build plants and buisness. If the Union doesn't screw you the Goverment will.

If I was GM I would let the state know that Lordstown and the many other GM plants can be moved very easily. We have the second most GM plants in the country of any state and it would kill the state to lose any of them.

We have not had a goverment here that favored buisness since Govenor Jame Rhoads about 25 years ago. While we may not all here likes every thing he did he did bring a lot of companies here and got a lot of jobs for us. Since he left office it has been down hill since. He was the guy who got Honda to Marysville.

until they lower taxes and bring a more favoritable climate to the state this is the end of any growth.

Many of the union members like Lordstown wised up now it is the elected officials to wake up.

My call to others is if it can happen here it can happen anywhere. With the economy still tanking Goverments are up to do some really stupied things for special interest or desperations due to the lack of money and too much control.

Edited by hyperv6

The more this country continues to squander away what little greatness we have left, the more I grow to resent it.

Our politicians have the intelligence quotients of a damn 4 year old.

COme November it will be a blood bath. I just hope the new blood will work with the knowledge that if they do not represent the people who elected them they will be out too.

This whole deal in Ohio I have found is being pushed by large dealers in the state. I have not seen the names but hope to find out. I can almost be sure Spitzer is one of them. He like to push the political end and the one persone behind this bill is from Lorain where he is out of. He already have manipulated the state on Gambling and other deals.

His dealers have been high volume but a pain to Chysler, Ford and GM. At one time his Ford dealers I was told got busted for giving price breaks on cars if you signed that you would take the warranty work elsewhere.

This bill wants to limit the time a MFG can check on a dealer for service and quality issues. Hmmm!

white knight, i think you undervalue the Intelligence of 4yo... they just haven't learned what us adults think we know yet. ;) lol

and Dave, sometimes they think it's the right thing to do (special interests mostly) and sometimes it is the right thing to do, but this time it's not the later