Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

america

rusty1

Let's hope not. That being said however, history does not give comfort. The average democracy lasts about the time the US has existed. The people get complacent and allow the politicians to be corrupt. Sound familiar? An look at our trade and budget deficits. These numbers can't continue.

Do you think that America like Britian and Rome was losing its grip as a superpower,with all the problems it has with its manufacturing,war in Iraq.Are we seeing the emergence of a new super power in industy and defense  CHINA :huh:

Do you think that America like Britian and Rome was losing its grip as a superpower,with all the problems it has with its manufacturing,war in Iraq.Are we seeing the emergence of a new super power in industy and defense  CHINA :huh:

I think we'll hang in there. It won't be the same, that's for sure. I think we've had a "fat, dumb and happy" posture here for too long and some people / organizations have trouble dealing with that (automakers, airlines, unions, local government, etc.). It is quite apparent that emerging superpowers are all in the Orient.

We need to outsource the federal goverment to India, China, or some other developing nation. That way things can get done quickly and efficiently with less expense to the American people.

:lol2:

The loss of manufacturing jobs is not an American problem, it's a global trend. Manufacturing is getting more efficient so jobs will continue to dwindle. Not only are jobs being lost in the US, but, as I have been told, in China as well.

China is becoming an economic superpower and, if the Communist Party allows it, China and India will one day be the two largest consumers of goods in the world...based on population size alone. This is a good thing for American companies as more of their goods and services will be consumed by these countries.

One of the things going for America is our culture. It is in demand, no matter what you see on the news or read in the papers, all around the world in nearly every country (even the Middle East). With this, being "like Americans" will continued to make our culture (and goods and services) exportable.

Until Bollywood or Shanghai Cinema or African World Music or soda or shoes from East Gibip becomes a global trend, American films, musicians, Coke, and Nike sneakers will lead the way for America's continued position as a Superpower.

The American economy continues to evolve, but we need to keep the pressure on so that our industries do not become complacent. It happened to the automotive industry...it can happen to others. One hundred years of history (Oldsmobile, Coca Cola, Levi Strauss, Hollywood, RCA) does not mean that the next hundred years will keep you at the top of your game.

No matter which political party is in power.

We need to outsource the federal goverment to India, China, or some other developing nation.

Please don't say that Z. It's bad enough that I have to talk to India now to rent a car or buy an airline ticket. It's not easy...they are very robotic sometimes. I can't imagine doing that for governmental bureaucratic matters. Scary $h!.

Are we seeing the emergence of a new super powerS in industy and defense(?) ? Yes!

The people get complacent and allow the politicians to be corrupt.

I don't know about this word complacent, Im seeing it to much, it disgusts me. People are kept too busy stressed out and powerless anyhow to keep our government centered on their job. Besides that government has always been corrupt, its as old as history

we could REMOVE our politicians if we need to.....really now ? Not being sarcastic Reg but I must have missed something during my decades of watching this bull$h!.....we may get them to take the sterling out of their mouths but we'll never get it out of their China cabinets......

It won't be the same, that's for sure.

That is for sure

I think we've had a "fat, dumb and happy" posture here for too long and some people / organizations have trouble dealing with that (automakers, airlines, unions, local government, etc.).

I dont agree with this as I interpret it as its written. From what my eyes see there is a good percentage of the population that lookin awfull comfy

It is quite apparent that emerging superpowers are all in the Orient.

and Mid east, Im sure some of the formerly repressed areas of Europe and Soviet will eventually get some where

China is becoming an economic superpower and, if the Communist Party allows it, China and India will one day be the two largest consumers of goods in the world...based on population size alone. This is a good thing for American companies as more of their goods and services will be consumed by these countries.

this is not truely a good picture for the entire N America pop./work force and Im sure the Chinese are smart enough to build some form of good self sufficient program. These countries are after all growing in industry and economy.....not regressing as a certain percentage of our country is........we do have alot of people, ya know and some of us are into real physical product, ones you can see touch and feel. I think pride is always a good asset for a country or person for that matter.

Im not really sure what "American" workforce wise I'm still supposed to be proud of.....really. A huge hungry insurance industry ? Healthcare industry? huge expensive government ? Great product supplying industry ? huge hungry lawsuit/lega industry..........?.......Yea, I can think of a few things, we got stuff happenin......but look at the bulk, the main sources of income that keep this country in tax money. Na, sorry not real proud. The plastic my friends is a bit HARD................. :(

Edited by razoredge

Abslutely.

IMHO we are about where Rome was in like 100AD. Still the unltimate empire but the cracks in the foundation were showing.

I think the West has much to be concerned about the rise of the emerging markets: China, India, Brazil, etc. because of the future competition over dwindling resourses (Canada will become everybody's new best friend, methinks!), but there is a certain inertia involved with the absolute mass of the populations of India and China. They simply cannot possibly feed, clothe and furnish their populations to the level of the West - the planet would implode. There are still hundreds of millions of peasants in both of those countries, and thanks to the internet many of those peasants are starting to resent the glamour and progress of the major cities. There is potential for serious civil unrest in those countries as they try and elevate the general population. I believe there is a very real danger that they could collapse under their own weight - literally!

I think the West has much to be concerned about the rise of the emerging markets: China, India, Brazil, etc. because of the future competition over dwindling resourses (Canada will become everybody's new best friend, methinks!), but there is a certain inertia involved with the absolute mass of the populations of India and China. 

Maybe they should make a helluva lot less babies. Birth control to the rescue (and I'm Catholic).

As the old saying goes: "If you can't afford 'em, don't have 'em." That's what I always think when I'm in Europe and you see gypsies panhandling.

Maybe they should make a helluva lot less babies.  Birth control to the rescue (and I'm Catholic). 

As the old saying goes:  "If you can't afford 'em, don't have 'em."  That's what I always think when I'm in Europe and you see gypsies panhandling.

Thats a problem in the U.S. too. Plenty of poorer people have multiple kids...the government just pays for them via taxpayers money.

Thats a problem in the U.S. too.  Plenty of poorer people have multiple kids...the government just pays for them via taxpayers money.

Isn't that a quandary? The people that shouldn't be having them are....and the people that should be having them aren't. My HUMBLE opinion.

Thats a problem in the U.S. too.  Plenty of poorer people have multiple kids...the government just pays for them via taxpayers money.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfareblack.htm

The stereotype of women popping out babies for more Welfare money is a myth. I'm sure it's happened occasionally, but the majority of poorer people who have loads of kids do so because they're uneducated about birth control, a service our government doesn't seem to want to provide.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfareblack.htm

The stereotype of women popping out babies for more Welfare money is a myth.  I'm sure it's happened occasionally, but the majority of poorer people who have loads of kids do so because they're uneducated about birth control, a service our government doesn't seem to want to provide.

Never said they were doing it on purpose...but it does indeed happen alot. Even if they aren't on welfare they sure aren't paying any taxes.

I'm having a REAL problem with all the "Political Correctness" that seems to now be forced upon everyone.....

Example....I have to now pay to listen to Howarn Stern because the FCC clamped down too hard on radio talk.....instead of letting people make the decision to listen, or CHANGE the channel.

Example.....I can't spank my unruly child in a grocery store because someone will NOT MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS and will turn me into child protective services????

Example.....I can't get married to the man I love and want to spend the rest of my life with....

Example.....If I spill hot coffee on myself (in my car) I can sue McDonalds and become an instant millionaire.

Example.....Remember that bitch from Michigan that tried to get "Married With Children" off the air because she thought it was offensive? NEVER MIND the fact that IF she had succeeded, she would have impeded OTHERS' rights....people that chose to, and wanted to watch the program.

The fact of the matter in this country today is that a good majority of the people out there will NOT take responsibility for their OWN actions. And by not doing so, they are forcing their convoluted beliefs and morals on the greater public.

I'm having a REAL problem with all the "Political Correctness" that seems to now be forced upon everyone.....

Example....I have to now pay to listen to Howarn Stern because the FCC clamped down too hard on radio talk.....instead of letting people make the decision to listen, or CHANGE the channel.

Example.....I can't spank my unruly child in a grocery store because someone will NOT MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS and will turn me into child protective services????

Agreed! These two examples are especailly relevant to my own life.