07 Camry....fair review?

enzl

Fair. This Healy guy seems to be getting his act together over the past year or so. I may even start to believe him someday. Guess this means that he'll never get a job at NY Times.

Off-Topic Toyota Slam:

Only 158 hp from 2.4L 2007 Toyota when my 1997 2.4L GM engine (still)gets 150? Question for GM tech experts out there - Will I get another 10 years of trouble-free NE commuting service from the old "Twin-Cam" or am I just lucky?

Okay, I find it interesting that he said the mpg meter resets when you refuel. Not sure if I like that.

Also, he said the wood was fake... I swear I read somewhere that it would be genuine maple. Well, if it is fake, it looks lightyears better than the old crap.

Thought the review was fair.. had positive and negative. I'd like to see more reviews like this.

Not sure how the car is smaller overall inside if it's the same on the outside, wider even.

I really have to wonder about the overall decrease in passenger and cargo volume in addition to little annoyances like an auto-resetting fuel consumption computer. Things like these are as much regressions as some claim other domestic cars suffer from.

But I believe its a fair review. He could've easily given the standard "we expect these glitches on an early tester" bull$h! line, but he didn't with

The '07 is a significant upgrade from the current model. But test-car glitches give pause, even allowing for its preproduction status.

So I would say its a very fair review. Definitely not like the new Bimmer 3-Series taking first place in a comparo after repeated brake failures.

Why would he lose his job ?? Sounds like he was fairly impressed with the car overall.

Yep, Healy calls it like he sees it. He is not a biased reviewer at all. He is equally tough on the imports as he is on the domestics. Personally, I tend to stay away from a first year car precisly because of the glitches associated with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what an impressive car! So it has a 4 banger that is carrying around a heavier car with no more power than before, has a smaller trunk and less interior volume, an indecisive automatic tranny, a trip computer that resets everytime gas in put in the tank(retarded), bloated, bland styling that copies several competitors such as Mazda, no door protection molding whatsoever so that it will have dings galore in short order, torque steer and still lackluster handling like every Camry before it. Sounds like a last place finisher in the rags publications just like last years models!

sat in a couple at the autoshow....mixed bag, in some cases the interior is nice (TIGHT seams, good upper dash plastics) and in some ways its not so good (cheap lower dash plastics and cheap vinyl on the doors, some loose trim and sloppy not to well fastened climate controls). The whole effect is BLAND. The look is mid nineties Millenia outside, and its almost too eerily reminiscent of my old Dimante inside.

It will please Camry customers and the masses. Miilions fall asleep in the process. At least Toyota knows where the money is. Sanitize everything. At least this car is a huge upgrade over the Azera and Sonata.

Also, he said the wood was fake... I swear I read somewhere that it would be genuine maple.  Well, if it is fake, it looks lightyears better than the old crap.

Toyota's Press Release:

The XLE adds premium content with its additional list of standard features including a premium 440-watt JBL audio system with Bluetooth™ technology for hands-free calling, wood-style trim, tilt/slide power moonroof, reclining rear seats, fog lamps and 16-inch aluminum wheels.

You forget that several Toyota fans were claiming that the silver surfaces on the console in the Avalon were real aluminum... nope, painted plastic. Same for Camry.