C&D Tests the Yukon Denali

Northstar

I got my April issue of C&D yesterday, and they had a short review of the Denali. For the most part, they liked it a lot.

They said the new 6-speed was almost always very smooth and was happy to downshift two or three ratios.

They attained 20 MPG on the highway over some streches, even at near 80MPH. They averaged 12MPG throughout the test.

They love the Autoride and said it feels "impossibly solid and composed and, at the same time, comfortably compliant."

Performance was really surprising to me, considering that GM says the Escalade does 0-60 in 6.8s and C&D got 6.2 in the Denali. The 1/4 mile was also surprising: 15.0s at 94MPH. That's faster than a V8 SRX for comparison and I believe faster than a V8 AWD STS (a RWD V8 STS is faster).

I know the increased engine size and power output makes a big difference, but so does that 6-spd...finally allowing proper gear spacing. Can't wait until it actually gets spread across the line, so even the menial 5.3L can be a bit snappier and have 2 more ratios to choose from when needed.

On the other hand...to all you guys who seem to always say most mags, C&D in particular, always hate everything domestic...this is yet ANOTHER example of how you're completely wrong. What sucks gets called out and what's good gets recognized...simple as that :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

On the other hand...to all you guys who seem to always say most mags, C&D in particular, always hate everything domestic...this is yet ANOTHER example of how you're completely wrong. What sucks gets called out and what's good gets recognized...simple as that

That's laughable.

I'll wait to see the article before I comment. To see if they actually gave it a good review or begrudgingly 'passed' it.

Wow... 6.2 sec. I rmemeber growing up as a kid and thinking that someday I'd have a car that broke inot the sixes in 0-60. The in the mid 90s the 4th gen. F-body made 5 seconds 0-60 seeem very obtainable but trucks were still in the 10-14 sec. range.

My just traded STS that goes pretty darn fast even for a sport sedan takes 6.4 sec.

That is very impressive. I'm interested in seeing how the 'slade really pulls.

If it has the same 320 HP engine in the LTZ Tahoe, or even the 355 HP engine, then the Escalade should fly! It's gonna get a 403 HP engine. I'm glad to so that GM is utilizing the capabilites of the LS2. It's in like 6 cars and trucks! I don't know the engine in the Escalade, but that would be my best guess. I know one thing for sure, it's gonna beat the living crap out of the new Navigator! It's gonna get :pokeowned: .

Edited by corvettekidc6

Of course! Nothing says cadillac like 400 hp

LOL...

Is the media giving GMT900 good reviews because the trucks are actually best in class or is it because they don't want the blood of the final blow to GM on their hands?

I think they're best in class and the media is being decently honest, BUT then again, I thought that with the initial Solstice articles too and it got "bested" by the Miata.

I expect the same to happen in the Toyota/Honda/GM comparisons... Or either, they just wont compare the imports and domestics to limit the audience.

C&D and the others have actually been pretty nice to GM trucks, just not cars.

Most always, yes. I just wanted to point out above how so many people, especially on this board, tend to always jump up and say "they hate everything domestic and Toyota/BMW feeds them $$$ by the duffle bag full" kind of garbage, when it can't be further from the truth.

Regardless, can't wait to see how the professional reviews of the Caddy turn out, as it always is just a tad upgraded in most regards over even the Denali.

As an owner of an '07 Tahoe - if the media is driving the same truck that I am - they had better heap the praise that it deserves on the GMT-900's. Anything less will having me :censored: on my subscription cards and sending them in. Honda Ridgeline wins Truck of the year and every reviewer I heard from hated the styling, the engine was too small, and it was terrible on mileage...yet they loved the tailgate design...so that must me what meritted the award...the very same tailgate that is on my 95 Roady wagon, and evey country squire since 1960...give me a break.

As far as BMW getting good reviews due to the 'duffel bags of $$$$' statement. You have to drive them to understand them. They really are that good. And even with that said - the supposedly 'unsubjective' automotive press usually ranks the new BMW's lower than normal due to their personal opinion of the styling on the cars. Love them or hate them - they are different. And they do drive unbelievable. Anyone who has driven a 740IL with the 4.4 at speed can tell you that. Like a turbinem so smooth all the way to the red line...and it wants to be there... :o I think I just ....never mind.

Toyota...I suspect the $$$$ has a lot to do with it. The press turns away from such high praise as: "requires premium fuel only to obtain any real mileage" or "Door sounds like a piece of loose roofing tin blowing in the breeze when closed" or the "mousefir headliner material is really the best of the bunch-showing all signs of even the slightest touch by an errant flea." Stuff that my real world driving experience has shown me. That and the dealerships literally suck when it comes to repairs...ask my brother with the $40k Sienna van...oops broken again. "Sorry, parts are backordered...would you like to RENT a loaner?" I laugh at that every time. :P

My experience wiht Toyota dealerships also makes me want to hurl. I interviewed once at a local Volvo/Toyota dealership and the G.M. must have told me about 30 times durring the interview how the Camry was the best sellign car in the country.

I told him flat out that the Camry is IMHO the biggest waste of sheetmetal with no soul or character and he proceded to tell me how my precious GM is the most tragicaly flawed company in the world.

Could NOT get out of that snobby dealership fast enough. I realyl do think Toyota is the Anti-Christ.

Read the review tonight...

Overall I didn't think it was that great.

They began by ragging on the Escalade and it's "superficial" cachet.... Hmmm, I guess all those Lexi and MB's in rap videos have "superficial" cachet as well then... Or is it that C&D is just jealous of the slade's success. Or, I guess in the world of WHITE YUPPIE B*TCH, where these 'journalists' live, only mid-level Accords and Toyota trucks have 'cachet'

Some other highlights include them whining that it doesn't get the 'unique soft touch' interior that the slade gets. Of course, they hardly even mentioned the improved interior and had NO pictures of it. Then they went on to QUESTION why some one would pay such a huge price for such a vehicle (SUVs in general) this being DESPITE the Denali's lower price and then went on to say "especially when it looses $20K of it's value after the first 2 years." (Yep, these guys will research anything to SCREW GM over)

Pretty much the whole article was focused on how it was a 90% Escalade and pretty much the whole article was meaningless IMO....

***Also to look forward to in this issue: a sh*tty review for the Zephyr, a LAST PLACE finish for the H3, DESPITE them openly admitting that it WAS the best on the trail and a Jim Press interview declaring Toyota the "soon to be biggest automaker" (Or maybe that was in Motor Trend)

I also read the article and I am very impressed with the performance... scary to think an S500 does 0-60 in 6.1 (6.2 for the denali). whats even better is the price at a scant 47,990 base.

For those of you who dont get the magazine.....

6.2L V-8

380 BHP @ 5700

415 LB/FT @ 4400

6-speed automatic

5610 curb weight

0-60 6.2

0-100 17.2

1/4mi- 15 @ 94

70-0 187 FT