Sign in to follow this  
NOS2006

Searching for a Car...

44 posts in this topic

NOS2006    11

As some of you may have read, I'm looking to purchase a newer (not necessarily brand new) car within the near future (say... by the new year). I was looking at '08+ Saab 9-3s, but I took one for a test drive today. Beautiful car inside and out, sufficient power, and it seemed to handle pretty good. However, it just felt like a car. It didn't give me any type of special feeling, it was just a ride. I want more than that.. something that I get into and it just feels special. The Camaro SS I drove a few weeks ago felt more "special," but it still had a terrible feeling interior and wasn't as amazing as I had expected. My friend's S2000, however, had a very appropriate feel to it.

So, my criteria is relatively good gas mileage (was looking at E46 M3s, but 23 MPG highway doesn't cut it), manual transmission, $25k or less, and it must have a sunroof. Better looking cars with better quality interiors will take priority, but I'm very open to suggestions. It doesn't have to be a sports car, and it doesn't have to be a luxury car. What I'm looking for is something like an M3 (as I'm assuming), a really nice all-around performer but with better MPGs.

intrigued    9

If you want new you could probably swing a minimally optioned 2011 mustang premium for that price. 305 hp 31 mpg highway and 0-60 in 5.1 (motor trend test drive with 3.31 gears.) It has a really slick 6 speed getrag manual standard has a much nicer interior then the camaro. The premo trim comes with the upgraded leather interior, Ford Sync and an awsome Shaker 500 stereo for the price. Also its quite the drivers car. Really handles well.

As for space its a very livable daily driver. I know that from owning an 05 GT for several years. The interior and storage volume has not changed.

That's my Ford plug for the day.

NOS2006    11

That's actually a pretty intriguing option... the '11 Mustang V6 w/ Premium Package. Didn't put too much thought into it because I've always felt that if you're getting a Mustang or Camaro, it's V8 or bust. But these V6 cars are pretty badass now. I might have to take one out for a test drive. Best part about it: it's American.

However, to get the 5.1 0-60 time, you need the performance package. I'd want the performance and premium packages.. my price would likely be well over $25k.

Z-06    493

CPO 335i with sports package, or sparingly used E46 330i with ZHP package, since you want M3 like characteristics. CPO will get rid of dumping money into BMW's gremlins and stealerships.

A 2005, 2006 CTS-V - but at a fuel economy sacrifice.

DSC01351.jpg

We can talk if you want, you know. :P

NOS2006    11

Z-06, the ZHP looks like a pretty good car and basically what I'm looking for, but what worries me is the reliability factor. Most of these (in my price range) have 70k+ miles on them, and I can only imagine that 5-8 year old BMW parts would be pretty expensive.

However, E46 335i ZHP and 2011 Mustang V6 Premium Package are the top runners. Any others? :)

Z-06    493

Z-06, the ZHP looks like a pretty good car and basically what I'm looking for, but what worries me is the reliability factor. Most of these (in my price range) have 70k+ miles on them, and I can only imagine that 5-8 year old BMW parts would be pretty expensive.

However, E46 335i ZHP and 2011 Mustang V6 Premium Package are the top runners. Any others? :)

I was just kidding. I am going to keep the car for a while. BMW reliability is a hit or miss. Mine has behaved good so far but I hate the dealerships. Look at the bimmerfest or E46 forums to see the reliability issues. There is no 335i ZHP till MY 2011, which is coupe and convertible only. Sports package is a better alternative.

How about the Z350 or a previous gen G35 coupe?

NOS2006    11

Oh, I didn't realize that was your car. lol

By Z350, do you mean 350Z? If so, I thought about it... but I plan on getting a Corvette in about 3ish years, so the 350 would be pointless since this car I'm looking for will end up being my all-weather car and the Corvette will come out in the nicer weather only.

And with the G35, I'm impartial. They're not bad looking, not bad specs, but the interior's pretty ugly IMO. I do have that car in the back of my mind though..

Honestly, I think the perfect car for me would be a brand new ATS, but I'm a couple years premature to be thinking about that.

Z-06    493

There is always venerable C5 that blows everything mentioned above in terms of performance, reliability and fuel economy as well.

You can find a nice 2002 Z06 for price of a M3. I have gotten 32 mpg cruising at 70-75 mph on flat I-95 in SC and GA.

NOS2006    11

Yeah, I really love the Corvettes. My two favorites (as far as what I'd like to actually own) are an '04 Z06 or '08 Coupe. But Michigan winters tell me no for right now.. lol

Nick    31

I was just kidding. I am going to keep the car for a while. BMW reliability is a hit or miss. Mine has behaved good so far but I hate the dealerships. Look at the bimmerfest or E46 forums to see the reliability issues. There is no 335i ZHP till MY 2011, which is coupe and convertible only. Sports package is a better alternative.

How about the Z350 or a previous gen G35 coupe?

I have a buddy with an 01 330 that just rolled over 175k with no significant issues outside of general maintenance.

The 3ers are pretty good cars. They have those I6s dialed in rather well.

z28luvr01    170

G8 V6? Or maybe a 1st gen CTS or STS.

NOS2006    11

I'd love a G8, but unfortunately I can't get a manual unless I get a GXP, and that's out of my range lol.

Not a big fan of the 1st Gen CTS (it's much like the 9-3 IMO... nice looking car, not a bad interior, but it just doesn't feel all that special). I'd love a new CTS, but MPGs are hardly any better than the E46 M3 and given the choice of the two, I'd likely take the better performer, especially since the M3 can be had for about the same price.

STS only came with an automatic.

NOS2006    11

Hmm, I might be able to give that a shot.

Why can't you just configure your own car? lol I'll take the interior and feel of a 370Z, looks/size of an E46 or E90 M3, and efficiency/power of a V6 Mustang w/ Performance Pack and 6-speed manual.

intrigued    9

Regarding the 2011 Mustang v6 you can get the 3.31 gears for the v6 as a stand along option for just a few hundred. No need to pony up for the sport package. The normal suspension setup is very good.

NOS2006    11

haha, I'm not sure why, but I was expecting that link to be for a Fiat 500.

The Cooper is an interesting car, but I think if I were to get one it'd have to be a John Cooper Works edition. I'm not an enormous fan of their styling... it's not the retro part, it's the boxy-like-an-xB thing. But I wouldn't mind checking it out if I found a good deal on a JCW edition.

Regarding the 2011 Mustang v6 you can get the 3.31 gears for the v6 as a stand along option for just a few hundred. No need to pony up for the sport package. The normal suspension setup is very good.

Oh really? Sweet! I'm going to head up to the Ford dealer tonight after work; this was on my mind all night. I went to bed, and I was sitting there thinking "damn it, would I get the performance or the premium?" I think I settled for the premium, but it'd be very difficult to step down to the 2.73 gears.

NOS2006    11

The M3 and Mustang have way less torque, Camino, and that's what worries me about the GTO. I read up on it in forums earlier and it the summary I got from all the GTO owners said "any more than 4 inches, don't plan on moving." I know our winters and we definitely get more than that a couple times a season and the roads will be trash all day.

Intrepidation    846

Winter tires and common sense are all you need to drive any sort of car in the winter. Don't driven like an asshat in the snow, and take it slow. :P

With that said, I'd pick a V6 Mustang over a GTO any day. I was never big on the supersized RWD Cavalier look.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this