Uplander replacement

Dsuupr

Traditionally GM has started production of a product on it's last model year early when they are redoing it. Is this true for the Uplander?

At the beginning they said it would only be around for 3 years. Can we all be so lucky?

As a $20k dog (Canadian) it is a great buy, but the lack of interior space and the lack of a true folding seat in the 3rd row is becoming an embarassment. I hope there is something significantly better in GM's bag of tricks coming soon.

As a $20k dog (Canadian) it is a great buy, but the lack of interior space and the lack of a true folding seat in the 3rd row is becoming an embarassment.  I hope there is something significantly better in GM's bag of tricks coming soon.

When GM drops these vans in a few years don't you think it will leave a big hole in their lineup in Canada? If they are replaced with a more expensive Lambda crossover it will hurt sales in Canada.

I can only speak for the Toronto area, but in this area Kia and Hyundai are formidable competition, too. As Canada's larges market, it would be a shame for GM to get drummed out of it completely! The Freestar (a total dog), the Caravan and the Uplander are all occupying the bottom of the price ladder. The Sienna and Odyssey the upper end. I don't see any of my upper echelon customers even considering the Uplander any more. Frankly, being forced to sell only on price, we are more and more getting stuck with the credit rating challenged and the customers with no teeth! (Okay, I exaggerating for effect.)

Five years ago, it was easy to sell the Venture against the existing competition. Now, it is getting harder and only price will do it. I mean, the not so base Uplander is $10,000 less than the Sienna - so who wouldn't be tempted? But it is becoming like the Cavalier last year: take it because it is too cheap to resist, but not because you actually WANT it.

Canada needs a fun, sexy and well priced minivan, which is why I have been carping that we need to ally ourselves with Europe.

(However, since I sell Chevrolet and it looks like Saturn will get the Opel and Vauxhall product, I may be slitting my own throat here anyway!) LOL

I can only speak for the Toronto area, but in this area Kia and Hyundai are formidable competition, too.  As Canada's larges market, it would be a shame for GM to get drummed out of it completely!  The Freestar (a total dog), the Caravan and the Uplander are all occupying the bottom of the price ladder.  The Sienna and Odyssey the upper end.  I don't see any of my upper echelon customers even considering the Uplander any more.  Frankly, being forced to sell only on price, we are more and more getting stuck with the credit rating challenged and the customers with no teeth!  (Okay, I exaggerating for effect.)

Five years ago, it was easy to sell the Venture against the existing competition.  Now, it is getting harder and only price will do it. I mean, the not so base Uplander is $10,000 less than the Sienna - so who wouldn't be tempted?  But it is becoming like the Cavalier last year:  take it because it is too cheap to resist, but not because you actually WANT it.

Canada needs a fun, sexy and well priced minivan, which is why I have been carping that we need to ally ourselves with Europe.

(However, since I sell Chevrolet and it looks like Saturn will get the Opel and Vauxhall product, I may be slitting my own throat here anyway!)  LOL

Agreed. Half the time I drive a minivan, and I really see what makes a good one so appealing. The outward visibility and driving position, for instance, is brilliant for running errands... it feels like I'm always alert and indifferent at the same time. And, of course, a good amount of power helps... our '02 Odyssey can actually be downright fun at WOT.

As a $20k dog (Canadian) it is a great buy, but the lack of interior space and the lack of a true folding seat in the 3rd row is becoming an embarassment.  I hope there is something significantly better in GM's bag of tricks coming soon.

So how is it a great buy then? There's only two things I think are any good on the Uplander: the 5-spoke aluminum wheels and the front grille-that's it. There's no way ever that I would recommend any GM minivan over a Dodge Caravan (except that cheap-looking piece of trash SE regular)/Chrysler Town & Country (except SWB), Toyota Sienna, or Honda Odyssey. The GM quartet has more seats-down cargo room than the Ford Freestar/Mercury Monterey junkaroos, but that's about the only real advantage they have. I saw a Sandstone Uplander Base extended today-it looked awful-black bodyside moldings, no luggage rack/roof rails (its a family minivan/travel vehicle-WHY wouldn't you get that, and moreover, why isn't it standard?). I wish these turkeys were never even discussed (just like their High Value engines)-I'd love to see a Chevy regular/extended minivan, sporty-performance Pontiac regular-length and luxury Buick extended minivan ruling the market-but let's just say I haven't given up hope yet, despite the deeply depressing products they've always had.

If the vans and crossovers are both built at Delta Township, I think we're going to run into too little production capacity most likely. It's better than not enough production to meet capacity, but if both minivans and crossovers are hot sellers, GM is going to have a problem if they can't add shifts.

So how is it a great buy then? There's only two things I think are any good on the Uplander: the 5-spoke aluminum wheels and the front grille-that's it. There's no way ever that I would recommend any GM minivan over a Dodge Caravan (except that cheap-looking piece of trash SE regular)/Chrysler Town & Country (except SWB), Toyota Sienna, or Honda Odyssey. The GM quartet has more seats-down cargo room than the Ford Freestar/Mercury Monterey junkaroos, but that's about the only real advantage they have. I saw a Sandstone Uplander Base extended today-it looked awful-black bodyside moldings, no luggage rack/roof rails (its a family minivan/travel vehicle-WHY wouldn't you get that, and moreover, why isn't it standard?). I wish these turkeys were never even discussed (just like their High Value engines)-I'd love to see a Chevy regular/extended minivan, sporty-performance Pontiac regular-length and luxury Buick extended minivan ruling the market-but let's just say I haven't given up hope yet, despite the deeply depressing products they've always had.

I will take a GM product any day over a Chrysler problem,I mean product. At least the Uplander shouldnt fall apart at 40-50,000 miles like the Chrysler products will.

My buddy and I put a 87" full sized sofa in his same sized 01 Olds Silouette so it can't be all that small and the Buick with a 3900 and side curtain airbags is a pretty decent buy if you can get some money off the sticker. Hopefully GM has dealt with some of the 05 models quality issues. Other than an intake manifold gasket at 100K my buddys Olds has been pretty trouble free and it drives really nice.

My buddy and I put a 87" full sized sofa in his same sized 01 Olds Silouette so it can't be all that small and the Buick with a 3900 and side curtain airbags is a pretty decent buy if you can get some money off the sticker. Hopefully GM has dealt with some of the 05 models quality issues. Other than an intake manifold gasket at 100K my buddys Olds has been pretty trouble free and it drives really nice.

The CSVs don't offer side curtain airbags because the door rail cuts into the interior.

Posted Image