Maybe be a 200X El Camino?????

as i was reading an article on how the GTO is back on the zeta platform in 2008. i cam across this....

"when pushed on wether GM was thinking about bringing back the El Camino off the zeta platform, lutz beemed with enthuisasm. "the kids in the company-my self included-would love to do another El Camino, but the grown ups amongst us dont shre that way of thinking". It woul be fairly simple. We would only have to put a chverolet face on the Holden Ute. (a car like pickup). The building blocks are there".

I think GM need to listen to those "kids".

They want to do it but it all comes down to economics.

If they can do it and make enough money on it I could see it happen. But on the other hand just making money is not enough anymore.

The question is will it be more profitable than another product line?

I also know Ford has pondered the Rancharo idea too. If they move to bring it back GM may react??

I would be in the market as I still miss my 1972 GMC SPrint SP 402. But I understand GM needs to pay the bills with the highest profit cars they can right now.

If the exchange rate gets right GM could fill the ships taking new GTO's and Camaro's to OZ and bring back El Camaino's Nice idea in a perfect world.

Well, if the rumors are true and the Monaro does get produced here, I don't see why the Ute can't be built on the same line, with Chevy badges..

My gut says Lutz will make this happen someday. Chevy could have the Elky pick up the volume left by the SSR (a few thousand), and, if it stickers in the low to mid 20s, Chevy would sell every one.

My thoughts on the El Camino....have it replace the standard cab Colorado.

I've sait it once. I'll say it again.

Lutz will not say something that won't happen.

If he says

the kids in the company-my self included-would love to do another El Camino, but the grown ups amongst us dont share that way of thinking

then count on an El Camino!!!

For Gods Sakes I can see the Chevelle Project coming to life already.

I don't know, maybe it isn't possible because they don't want to make a completely unique model, but being on Zeta might not be the best thing for El camino. Why not think about alongside the colorado.... just an idea... you can still fit the same engines..

Holden will be doing the Ute on Zeta(or VE) probably in 08. I will expect my new Camino then. I hope they surprise me sooner, but that's not realistic as adapting the current Ute for GMNA would be a waste of resources when an all-new Ute will be here soon. I want so badly to be wrong about that though. Either way, I'm betting it will be built in OZ.

Guest YellowJacket894

Random Fact: "Camino" means "walk" in Spanish. The verb is really spelled "caminar", but when you talk about yourself -- using the word "yo" -- you drop the "ar" and add the "o". (Using in a sentence: "Yo camino muy rapdio.")

I wouldnt mind seeing a new El camino.. if it was built in north america i dont think it would be too over priced.. it would probably have a V6 as its base engine.. I think it would do alot better than the SSR.. it would weigh alot less, and the price would start about $15,000 less than the SSR. Its looking like Oshwa ont. or Wilmington Del. are going to produce the Zeta cars.. maybe even both.. we could see the camaro, gto and maybe the elcamino built in wilmington. while the sedans, impala, buick sedan, and pontiac sedan would be built in oshwa..

so I guess Pontiac or Buick is gonna die then.

Burn him! He's a witch! :hissyfit: