Hurricane Katrina

Flybrian

A major American metropolis has been decimated.

Water is up to and beyond 20 feet deep in some places, and most of that water won't naturally receed since New Orleans sits seven feet below sea level on a marsh.

Lawlessness reigns in many parts of the area with rescuers in boats and helicopters being shot at. Tourists trying to find shelter are being beaten and mugged. Those sheltered in New Orleans' convention center are also being beaten and raped. The police chief of the city said teams of his men have been beaten back.

Numbers of National Guardsmen are down because many units are deployed - guess where? - in Iraq and Afghanistan. Good thing they're securing Tikrit.

Bodies are lying in the street and floating about. The flood waters are now a brackish mix of saltwater, gasoline, solid waste, chemicals, and human corpses among other things. Imagine the sickness this will spawn in the region and for the world.

There aren't solid casualty figures yet, but two unsubstantiated sources have reported that FEMA officials have ordered 75,000 body bags. Seventy-Five Thousand.

There is also talk in some circles about whether its wise to rebuild New Orleans in its footprint.

This isn't Camile or Andrew. This isn't even September 11th. This is far, far worse than anything this country has yet seen.

And we've just seen the very beginning...

Bodies are lying in the street and floating about. The flood waters are now a brackish mix of saltwater, gasoline, solid waste, chemicals, and human corpses among other things. Imagine the sickness this will spawn in the region and for the world.

Sounds a lot like the Ganges River in India.

It sounds like it's turned into a third-world country down there. This is a dark time for America and Americans. :mellow:

The damage is certainly devasting, and the fact that the people down there are JUST NOW getting help when they needed it 48-60 hours ago is appaling. I thought after 9/11 we were going to be prepared for disasters and terrorist attacks. Apparantly we weren't prepared well enough. We knew it was coming in advance, and we knew it was going to be bad. The government should have gotten everything ready to be shipped BEFORE anything happened. Even if they only estimated that 50,000 people would need help, they'd still be well ahead of where they are at now in terms of giving them relief. I heard some graves were upturned and caskets were floating about. Are some of those body bags possibly for people who were already dead before and are floating around because their graves were upturned?

The Army Corps of Engineers says it will take several weeks to fix the levee breaches, and then the pumps can only operate once electricity is restored. Who knows how long it will take to pump the toxic sludge out. Sewage lines and water mains have ruptured, meaning there is no running water and New Orleans is a colossal bacteria breeding ground. An EPA official said "there isn't enough money in the United States GDP to remove of the toxic waste".

It's truly a shame that a city once so vibrant and full of life and culture has been reduced to ruins, lawlessness, and human suffering. The fact that rescue and recovery efforts have been abandoned in order to control unruly citizens is appaling. According to recent reports, the days are filled with looting and gunfire, while nightime has brought about the rape of several young women. As the remaining citizens are evacuated from the destruction, I can't help but think New Orleans will never return to the way it once was.

From what I have gathered they're trying to stop the looting because they don't have any way to help the people in need. Like I said, the government had warning and should have had supplies ready. Maybe if the police had supplies they could give them out, but they have very few. The military is now dropping really big sand bags around where Lake Ponchatrain was/is in an effort to stop any more water from flowing out into the communities around it.

Everyone thats found being lawless should be shot on site. This would help fill the body bags as well as make cuts in possible continued breeding of this type of mental mutant. Slaves from Irac should be recruted and brought over to do the manual labor involved in the clean up. Then deported (if still alive) immeadiatly after its over.

Im not being serious, except for the lawlessness. That should be a no tolerence issue. It was a tounge in cheek but totally fed up kind of responce to the US being the worlds charity source when we have so many issues right here at home. I wonder what types are being so unruley in New Orleans ? White redneck trailer trash hillbillys ?

Between 30 and 40% of the citizens in New Orleans are below the poverty line. It's those people who had no way to evacuate prior to Katrina's landfall and are currently stranded in New Orleans.

I don't understand how blame can be placed upon these people for taking necessary supplies from stores. They truly have no choice at this point, and couldn't buy the items in need even if they wanted to. Action should be taken against looters attacking jewelry stores and the like, not desperate citizens in need of basic products from Wal-Mart.

Action should be taken against looters attacking jewelry stores and the like, not desperate citizens in need of basic products from Wal-Mart.

[post="7957"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There was a gentleman in Waveland, Mississippi who went into a destroyed KMart to get food and supplies. He said, "We're not looters; we're just trying to survive."

That stands in marked constrast to those in New Orleans who shot at Coast Guard Jayhawks trying to rescue them because they want to rescued first. Because of that retardation, now very few besides those in the military are being allowed in.

It seems as if this is really two disasters in one - the 'normal' hurricane damage of Mississippi and the abnormal near anarchy in New Orleans.

Its becoming infinitely clear that lots and lots of people fucked up. Hospitals were thought to be evacuated but are instead islands of not only patients from other hospitals but refugees as well, begging for boats to take the sick and injured away to dry land. New Orleans told everyone to amass themselves in the Superdome and convention center not consdering the reprocussion of mixing thousands of families, tourists, and unchecked inner city people into the same crowded area.

A man in Mississippi who is living out of a lean-to on fruits from a nearby produce stand said something to the effect of, "You send big ol' helicopters carrying things into Iraq every day. But why not here? C'mon, Bush, you can do better than that."

I agree and echo that sentiment. Our 'leadership' has had - at best - a halting response to what is easily the greatest disaster this country has seen. I saw him at a press conference today. He basically told those in New Orleans to "be patient" and the rest of us "don't buy gas unless you have to." Idiotic statements.

Guest YellowJacket894
More I think about it, the more I want to move to Canada. I despise Bush now; before this bullshit he didn't get on my nerves at all, but I want that bastard impeached so bad... Meh, I won't go into this issue any further. And gas prices are crazy. $3.09 in my area and it's getting worse. And the gas prices have got me thinking about my first new car purchase, which is rapidly approaching. Okay, here's my take on smaller cars: most look like rolling shitbuckets. Have you seen the new Civic? First off, I hate a damn Honda (but, oddly, love their ATVs). And second, it makes me want to puke everytime I see it. I'm sorry, but giving up good looks for cheaper gas costs isn't something I enjoy. I hate looking like a nerd and someone's grandpa at the same time. I really want to purchase a '69 Chevy Camaro SS396 or maybe a 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396/454. But whatever I save on insurance will be socked right back into the cost of gas. So, I've found two alternatives. Either a new 2006 Pontiac Solstice, which has a 4-banger and rear-drive for around $19,995. (Just gotta have a rear-drive car.) But, the problem is finding one a dealer hasn't inflated to $30,000. Another alternative is maybe a used '99 Chevy Camaro with a six. Or maybe a used Porsche 944. And, if fuel prices receed, I can cram an eight in the Solstice and Camaro. Edited by anorexorcist

While I'm not yet ready to slam or bash our President (to me, this is not the time to do so). I will instead do my best to help out as best as I can. I've donated $20 to General Motors for them to match (as has my father) and I have also donated $25 through Sprint for them to match. I plan on donating at the telethons over the next few days. That's to say the least. Am I apalled at the lackluster response of our Government to the refugees and help seeking individuals in the south? ABSOLUTELY. The DNC called my house for me to donate to THEIR PARTY just yesterday. Needless to say I do not think they will be so inclined to call in the not too distant future. Every politician is a criminal, and I feel the DNC (as well as Republican Committee now realize that). Call my house again greedy sumbitches and see what happens. I won't get into the Iraq ordeal. One thing I will say however is that it makes me feel good to know that I'm not the only "kid" that feels the way I do about how this situation has been handled from our elected officials. It gives me at least a shred of hope that maybe, just maybe we will finally wise up to the politics of today. To build on what I've said. I'm not the real emotional type, but this type of disaster has played heavily on my mind given the media coverage of it. Hearing peoples story's and people wondering where their wives, children, relatives could be is heartbreaking. It's going to be years before New Orleans can even begin to resemble the city it once was.

Guest YellowJacket894
What Bush, and the goverment, did to piss me off was exactly what you said Josh: a lackluster reponse to our ongoing crisis. Something more has to be done that I can't quite explain in words at this moment. Edited by anorexorcist

just so you know i posted this intial topic post as a bulletin on myspace to urge those who havent followed along to do so and i asked for them to repost it as well, i think its not a bad idea if anyone with myspace does the same powerful words . . . . powerful words

I can't help but feel that if this destruction occurred in Texas or Florida the federal response would be markedly different. There are many, many places in this country that are vulnerable to natural disasters. It's only a matter of time before L.A. or the Bay Area in California are decimated by the Big One. There is so much that needs to be done to upgrade infrastructure in this country, but no one wants to pay for it, so lives will be lost.

While I'm not yet ready to slam or bash our President (to me, this is not the time to do so). I will instead do my best to help out as best as I can. I've donated $20 to General Motors for them to match (as has my father) and I have also donated $25 through Sprint for them to match.

I plan on donating at the telethons over the next few days. That's to say the least. Am I apalled at the lackluster response of our Government to the refugees and help seeking individuals in the south? ABSOLUTELY.

The DNC called my house for me to donate to THEIR PARTY just yesterday. Needless to say I do not think they will be so inclined to call in the not too distant future. Every politician is a criminal, and I feel the DNC (as well as Republican Committee now realize that). Call my house again greedy sumbitches and see what happens.

I won't get into the Iraq ordeal.

One thing I will say however is that it makes me feel good to know that I'm not the only "kid" that feels the way I do about how this situation has been handled from our elected officials. It gives me at least a shred of hope that maybe, just maybe we will finally wise up to the politics of today.

To build on what I've said. I'm not the real emotional type, but this type of disaster has played heavily on my mind given the media coverage of it. Hearing peoples story's and people wondering where their wives, children, relatives could be is heartbreaking.

It's going to be years before New Orleans can even begin to resemble the city it once was.

[post="8003"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have to agree pretty everything Josh says...It pretty much mirrors my feelings..

The more I see on the news, the more it just breaks my heart... :(

While I agree that this is a horrendous tragedy, I think that, every once in a while, we need a wake-up call to realize how well-off we are. We like to complain about how bad life is, but at least our houses aren't under 10 feet of water. I'd say I've got things pretty darn good.

*shakes head in disbelief*

I happened to catch more pictures of the greater New Orleans area...as well as other areas hit hard by Katrina. Very disturbing, to put it mildly.

Thoughts/prayers continue for those affected the most by Katrina.

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"Are you still the same?" ... Savage Garden ... 'I Don't Know You Anymore'

While I agree that this is a horrendous tragedy, I think that, every once in a while, we need a wake-up call to realize how well-off we are. We like to complain about how bad life is, but at least our houses aren't under 10 feet of water. I'd say I've got things pretty darn good.

[post="8156"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I truthfully fail to realize the "we need a wake-up call to realize how well-off we are" statement.

Iraqi's pay 5 CENTS per gallon of gas.

That's enough right there for me to incite a riot in the city streets. Nobody hears about that though!

Strategic Reserve for Oil? Clinton did that just before he left and the Republicans slammed the Democratic Party for it! Now...Clinton is standing on state with Both Bushs!!

Politics aside. The most I can do is donate and hope it finds its way to the needy...and not to the GREEDY.

Baton Rouge has doubled in population to 800,000 people over the past day or so. They're saying that lawlessness is spreading to there and other small cities in Louisiana. Apparently as soon as the refugees arrived, they began breaking into homes and convience stores, stealing cars, etc. Now Baton Rouge has patrols going 24 hours a day and has told gas stations to stop selling gas after 10 PM. Since their public services were only meant to cover half the population, it's a mess down there. I feel bad for the refugees that are just trying to survive, but the dipshits that are stealing electronics and cars and sniping at rescue helicopters to take advantage of a disasterous situation are just stupid and don't deserve to be saved. I have a feeling that the population shift in Louisiana will be permanant...Baton Rouge will probably now be the state's largest city. Edited by mustang84

I just talked to a friend of mine who goes (went) to Tulane. He said he went a friend's house in Florida after they were ordered to evacuate because they figured they would just hang out until the strom blew over. Needless to say, that was not the case so he's flying home to Boston today and he doesn't know what's going to happen to Tulane or his college education. His parents were in New Orleans with him and must have gotten the last plane out of there.

And gun stores. That's serious.

[post="8098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

While any kind of looting except for survival reasons: (clothes, food, water, diapers) is appauling and should be punished wiht a severe penalty the media is using this as an opportunity to go all anti-gun.

So what? A few gun stores were looted. Now instead of 30,000,000 illegal guns on the streets there's 3,000,100. Yet another reason for law abiding citizens to arm themselves. If I was down there and was worried abot my family I'd feel a lot better having a firearm. I'm the first person to play good samaritan but if someone tries to hurt or rape someone in my family I'd shoot first.

That's probably the most disturbing thing about this whole disaster. The Scumbags and criminals are shown running free while news helicopters report the news. Yet where's the order and releif. This makes us look like a third world nation. It's a fu%$ing mess and it seems like the state and federal governments are taking their sweet assed time coming up wiht some solutions.

The most heartbraking sceenes on the news are the people who have a small infant or even a older baby. I can't imagine having to search for high ground, food, water & shelter while holding a baby. I hop[e to god things start to turn for the better for these people soon.

As far as the looters, rapists and opportunists: BAD Karma is a bitch!

While any kind of looting except for survival reasons: (clothes, food, water, diapers) is appauling and should be punished wiht a severe penalty the media is using this as an opportunity to go all anti-gun.

So what? A few gun stores were looted. Now instead of 30,000,000 illegal guns on the streets there's 3,000,100. Yet another reason for law abiding citizens to arm themselves. If I was down there and was worried abot my family I'd feel a lot better having a firearm. I'm the first person to play good samaritan but if someone tries to hurt or rape someone in my family I'd shoot first.

That's probably the most disturbing thing about this whole disaster. The Scumbags and criminals are shown running free while news helicopters report the news. Yet where's the order and releif. This makes us look like a third world nation. It's a fu%$ing mess and it seems like the state and federal governments are taking their sweet assed time coming up wiht some solutions.

The most heartbraking sceenes on the news are the people who have a small infant or even a older baby. I can't imagine having to search for high ground, food, water & shelter while holding a baby. I hop[e to god things start to turn for the better for these people soon.

As far as the looters, rapists and opportunists: BAD Karma is a bitch!

[post="8338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But can you imagine what is this world like if EVERYONE is carrying a gun?

First minute it's just a small argument, the next.. BLAAM!

But can you imagine what is this world like if EVERYONE is carrying a gun?

First minute it's just a small argument, the next.. BLAAM!

[post="8361"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Toni: I think you've ben watching too many westerns. There's plenty of areas of the USA where everyone has a gun. They don't all kill eachother over petty arguments. I'd argue that peole approach eachother wiht more curtosey in some cases.

The problem is the flood waters, lack of food shelter and clean water NOT the guns though in some cases I gues the guns can make a bad situation worse but they are certainly not the biggest problem these people are having. Edited by Sixty8panther

The problem is the flood waters, lack of food shelter and clean water NOT the guns though in some cases I gues the guns can make a bad situation worse but they are certainly not the biggest problem these people are having.

[post="8384"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The presence of guns in the hands of rooftop gangs is the source of problems and a major reason why rescue efforts are moving slowly. This isn't an anti-/pro-gun argument; its a fact that criminals have guns in New Orleans right now and are shooting at police and Coast Guard helicopters because they are wastes of humanity. This is definitely not the time for vigilante justice and certainly a situation where only the police and guardsmen should have weapons.

Empowah, I heard that figure on a local syndicated radio talk show, so I don't know the accuracy of the number, but even if the number were really half that, it speaks to the gravity of the situation.

As far as the racism angle, who cares? We all know what the media is about but the last thing people need to do (and have been doing) is saying, "If it would've been white people trapped in downtown, the reaction would've been different." No. I doubt it.