Mitsubishi Cuts Production of Slow-Selling Raider

Mitsubishi Cuts Production of Slow-Selling Raider Truck

Date posted: 03-14-2006

CYPRESS, California — Mitsubishi, the ailing Japanese automaker, has asked former partner Chrysler to curtail production of its slow-selling Raider pickup, at least temporarily, while the company tries to clear dealer lots of unsold inventory with rebates of up to $3,000.

The 2006 Raider was introduced last fall. It shares major underbody components, including driveline and chassis, with the Dodge Dakota.

According to the trade weekly Automotive News, Mitsubishi dealers sold only 492 Raiders in February and had more than a six-month supply of unsold units in stock on March 1.

Mitsubishi's fortunes continue to slide in the United States. Sales for the first two months of 2006 were down nearly 22 percent from the previous year.

Mitsubishi had contracted to purchase 20,000 Raiders from Chrysler in the first year, but rumors are building among dealers that the truck may be canceled, the paper said.

What this means to you: If buying a soon-to-be-cancelled truck seems like a good idea to you, now is as good a time as any.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109618

---

I'm utterly shocked.

That's too bad... it's more attractive than the Dakota it's based on, but not the Tacoma, Frontier, or Ridgeline.

If you think the Ridgeline by Honda is attractive, you need occular surgery.

mitsubishi i really think ought to make their exit soon... quit wasting money on this market... right now when detriot is struggling and toyota is trying to be #1... the market is too feice for lackluster products... and its only going to get worse with china getting involved...

I also think VW also better withdraw... lots of people hate the quality of the new VW's

I've seen a whihte one in a parking lot. I have to say, at least the front end doesn't look like it has a fat lip like the Dakota.

Yeah, actually, I've seen about 5 on the roads (3 of which had larger chrome aftermarket wheels), and all looked really good. Easily one of, if not the, best looking small truck (particularly in the higher trim levels), and MUCH better than the Dakota, even inside.

That is a shame, but I think it's a combination of no marketing and some people still just buying the Dodge instead...even if the Mitsu version offers more, and looks better.