SEMA 2010: Toyota Builds ... A Rear-Drive Camry?

Blake Noble

SEMA 2010: Toyota Builds ... A Rear-Drive Camry?

3rd November, 2010 by "black-knight"

post-8523-088416300 1288821689.jpg

Photo Credit: Antuan Goodwin/CNET

No, it isn't April Fool's Day just yet. Yes, we're just now into November and the oncoming Holiday Season. You can put away the callender.

Straight out of Bizarro World, Toyota rolled out a rear-wheel drive, V8-powered Camry "Nascar Edition" concept coupe at SEMA this year. Powered by a TRD-built, 358 cubic-inch V8 good for a respectable 680 horsepower mated to a Getrag six-speed row-your-own, the Talledega-themed Toyota was built for the company by some group of guys who call themselves RK Customs.

Surprising? Yeah, it is. It's even more surprising is that this particular Camry doesn't look like the backside of a bloated, seasick whale shark (did they actually manage to make the old Camry Solara glasshouse look, dare I say, decent?). Don't look for Toyota to actually build this, though. You should know better than that. Besides, I'd hate to imagine what would happen to little old Aunt Ethel if the accelerator stuck or the driveshaft snapped on her 680-horse, rear-drive performance coupe.

A slap in the face to every personal-luxury coupe fan, and GM owned that niche for decades. Another attempt to Americanize themselves. And I hate them more for it.

Hate is too strong of a term, but I hate GM for forsaking us.

If building something like this gets GM's attention (Yes, I know this is SEMA not the Detroit Auto Show), then fantastic. Since GM wants to blindly follow Toyota, they'd have to build us a personal luxury coupe. In 2021.

• Agree 1

Well, I will say this: If it's one thing Toyota can do right, it's building a car that you can love to hate to like. I'm actually glad there's a slim chance in Hell that they'll build this thing.

I'm not counting out the fact Toyota will roll out another Camry coupe, however, and should that happen, well let's just say I can already hear all of the shouting that will be thrown in the direction of the RenCen.

A slap in the face to every personal-luxury coupe fan, and GM owned that niche for decades. Another attempt to Americanize themselves. And I hate them more for it.

So you hate them for building a coupe that's RWD and actually desirable. That makes sense. :rolleyes:

Last I checked, RWD coupes weren't copyrighted by America.

FYI, GM hasn't had a RWD "personal luxury coupe" in decades. That's their own fault.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

A slap in the face to every personal-luxury coupe fan, and GM owned that niche for decades.

Not really, because the only 'personal-luxury' coupe GM could muster recently was based off of a lousy W-Body, and sucked at pretty much everything, except sucking. If this is a slap in the face, then the Monte Carlo was a triple roundhouse kick to the coin-purse.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Dodgefan ~ >>"because.............it's larger, it would probably cost a lot less, and the IS doesn't come as a true coupe yet, it's either a sedan or (somewhat awkward looking) hardtop convertible."<<

That custom one-off 'yoyo above isn't a true coupe either. Precious few of them in any segment.

Edited by balthazar
  • Disagree 3

That custom one-off 'yoyo above isn't a true coupe either. Precious few of them in any segment.

According to modern standards, the term "two-door sedan" is an oxymoron.

You'd think that "four-door coupe" would be treated the same way.

Buyers and a vast majority of enthusiasts do not let how much rear-seat space dictate what bodystyle a car is classified as. Neither does the NHTSA. Ultimately, it all comes down to a simple door count now.

So much hate, all because it has a Toyota badge. If this were a Malibu or G6 you'd all love the concept, and demand GM build it because there is so much demand for RWD coupes.

I think it's cool that someone went to the effort to do this, as opposed to the usual "let's put a turbo, and a big wing on for SEMA" thing.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

So much hate, all because it has a Toyota badge.

I don't hate it, I just have no clue how I should really feel about it.

I guess I do hate the fact it has a Japanese Sombrero glued to it's grille, but I really ... don't hate the car. It's not the most attractive coupe I've seen, but it's profile is okay and it's a cleaner design than the sedan. I do like that it's rear-drive, obviously, and a small-block V8 is always fine with me.

Like I said, I'm glad there's a slim chance of Toyota building it. Why? It's a confusing car.

If this were a Malibu or G6 you'd all love the concept, and demand GM build it because there is so much demand for RWD coupes.

If it were a Malibu that had been given the same treatment, that would certainly make the concept easier for people to swallow.

I think it's cool that someone went to the effort to do this, as opposed to the usual "let's put a turbo, and a big wing on for SEMA" thing.

Agreed.

FYI, GM hasn't had a RWD "personal luxury coupe" in decades. That's their own fault.

There is a lot of overlap in "muscle cars" and "personal luxury coupes", and I'd argue that the modern GTO is close enough to a "personal luxury coupe" for a comparison to this Camry coupe.