Michael Jordan Picks Cadillac XLR-V as First

Variance

IL Exclusive: Michael Jordan Picks Cadillac XLR-V as First American Car

Date posted: 03-21-2006

CHICAGO — Perhaps taking a cue from rapper Snoop Dogg, who buttonholed Dieter Zetsche for a new Chrysler 300C, former Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordan took delivery of one of the first 2006 Cadillac XLR-Vs in the country from none other than Cadillac general manager Jim Taylor.

IL has learned that Taylor had his team personally deliver the car to Jordan's home here. In fact, Cadillac drove over an entire semi-truck with three XLR-Vs — representing each of the three exterior colors (Infra Red, Black Raven, Light Platinum) — so that the basketball legend could pick his favorite.

Jordan chose a red car. The purchase price: a cool $100,000. As a little extra, Cadillac threw in a set of custom side sills with Jordan's signature etched in aluminum, insiders told IL.

Jordan is said to have confided to Taylor that he has 40 cars in his personal collection but that the XLR-V is his first American car.

What this means to you: The all-American athlete acquires an all-American performance car. And if it's true that his stable of cars has been all-import until now, it's about time.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109714

---

:thumbsup:

Edited by Variance

That's great news. If GM can do better with celebs, I think others will follow suit.

It's amazing he hasn't had an American car, but I guess other than before he was 20 he wouldn't have looked at anything not in the luxury class, and frankly, there wasn't much from American automakers in the 80s and 90s that competed well in the luxury class.

I remember a couple years ago I was watching SportsCenter and MJ had just broken off from the Wizards management (when he was part owner) and he was driving away in a black SL55.

How does he fit? Not to be rude, but I am 6' 2" and 185, and I found the XLR to be a tight fit. I have long legs, and to fit in the car, I had to decline the seatbacks (I described it to a friend as fitting like a Prada suit). Jordan's got to be way taller than me.

No way Shaq would fit in this car.

Jordan's about 6'4, but I have no idea how he fit. And I don't believe this story. Jordan used to drive Corvettes around all the time. In fact, wherever he would go Chevy would give him a Corvette to drive. Maybe he didn't personally own one though? I do know for a fact he used to drive Vettes around everywhere.

FIRST american car?!?!?!?!?

I USED to respect Jordan... Not anymore.

So, you use to respect him when he owned no American cars. Now that he owns one you no longer respect him... :huh:

He's 6'6" and I'm 6'5" so I can see him fitting into the car. It would just be a tight fit. Also, why do you think it's a convertible.

Edited by lakefire

So, you use to respect him when he owned no American cars.  Now that he owns one you no longer respect him...  :huh:

He's 6'6" and I'm 6'5" so I can see him fitting into the car.  It would just be a tight fit.  Also, why do you think it's a convertible.

I used to respect him when I had no knowledge of his HORRIBLE taste in cars. But now that I'm enlightened as to how big (pun intended) of an idiot he is; he gets NO RESPECT.

Well... it's a start. At least it gives GM a good 15 minutes of publicity.

I used to respect him when I had no knowledge of his HORRIBLE taste in cars. But now that I'm enlightened as to how big (pun intended) of an idiot he is; he gets NO RESPECT.

So he has 'horrible taste in cars' for buying an XLR-V is what you are saying? Wierd.

I would have thought he would have had an Escalade or Navigator at least, though I could see him driving big Benzes...nothing wrong with that...they were and are popular cars with the rich and famous, as well as the rich and non-famous (S-class, CL-class, SL). A big Benz has long been the mark of good taste, IMHO. (though I don't care for the blinged look some get modified with).

Edited by moltar