My New Toy

Z-06

I need a new camera, too. Especially because I am heading to Italy next year, and there is no way I am taking my crappy point 'n shoot...in fact, I'll need a new one of those, as well.

That looks like a nice camera. I'm undecided if I am going with Nikon or Canon.

Edited by Nick

I need a new camera, too. Especially because I am heading to Italy next year, and there is no way I am taking my crappy point 'n shoot...in fact, I'll need a new one of those, as well.

That looks like a nice camera. I'm undecided if I am going with Nikon or Canon.

Depends on what price range you are looking for. If you are going to invest in lenses for the SLR's, then Canon has an edge over Nikon. Canon L series clearly outperform most of the lenses in the market given its expertise.

For APS-C sensors

Canon T2i > Nikon D3000

Nkon D7000/D90 > Canon 60D

Canon 7D > Nikon D300s

For Full Frame sensors there is honestly professional preference. Most of these cameras are bought by people who graduated from Film SLR's and had significant dough invested in lenses.

Canons tend to have higher pixel count. Nikons work better in lower light. Canon 7D has 8 fps frame rate better than even some of the Nikon pro cameras.

It will end up being what system you like the best. Go to a pro shop near you and spend a good deal of time handling the cameras and decide what you want. Ask our resident spy, he helped me.One more thing many suggested - unless you have the money stick with one company if you are going to make considerable investment in lenses. It is not the body but the lenses that provides right aid for great quality pictures.

I don't think I'll be investing much in lenses, really. I like photography, but it isn't a major hobby of mine, and it isn't something I'd like to turn into a major hobby either after seeing friends who are into it spend thousands of dollars for lenses and equipment.

I was looking at the D90, then I saw they came out with the D7000 which seems like a nice improvement without being too much more expensive. But if I am spending that money then I am venturing into 7D territory, no?

I just want a good performing dslr that will last me a while...I like features, and I like having capabilities that I will probably never actually use to their fullest extent. It may not get used often, but I want to know that when I do want or need to take pictures I have something decent to pull out.

I'll try to find a camera shop around here. I'll also ak my friends, one who is diehard canon, the other, diehard nikon.

Edited by Nick

I don't think I'll be investing much in lenses, really. I like photography, but it isn't a major hobby of mine, and it isn't something I'd like to turn into a major hobby either after seeing friends who are into it spend thousands of dollars for lenses and equipment.

I was looking at the D90, then I saw they came out with the D7000 which seems like a nice improvement without being too much more expensive. But if I am spending that money then I am venturing into 7D territory, no?

I just want a good performing dslr that will last me a while...I like features, and I like having capabilities that I will probably never actually use to their fullest extent. It may not get used often, but I want to know that when I do want or need to take pictures I have something decent to pull out.

I'll try to find a camera shop around here. I'll also ak my friends, one who is diehard canon, the other, diehard nikon.

It seems like you need a decent entry level D-SLR camera. The one thing you have to be careful when you go above the entry level D-SLR camera is that the level of auto shoot options go down. For example, T2i > 60D > 7D auto modes. And if you are ready for the learning curve then higher level cameras will reward you with the plethora of manual options.

But if you just want to point and shoot with little more flexibility then go a step above the entry level. 7D is really becoming a pro level APS-C sensor camera. There are guys who shoot with the big-daddy 1DS Mk III and have the 7D as their main back up. It rewards you if you invest time and money (lenses) in it.

It seems like a Canon T1i might be all you need; you can find some pretty nice deals going on those, and it's a fantastic camera.

I agree here, if you are not going to get into too much technicality of photography it is a rewarding camera. About $100 - 150 less than the T2i which is not that a big step up than the T1i. But at least get a good lens like the 24-105L as your walking lens. You will lose in big zoom situation, but you will gain in spectacular images. Regardless of how much you want to spend on lenses, I believe you should get one good walkaround lens.

Actually a good camera which pros swear to is the Canon 50D - a camera with many pro features and yet does not have myriad of technicalities to get confused over. It is old and does not have video mode, but it has far better still picture ability than the D90. 60D is actually a step down compared to 50D even though it "replaced" the 50D.

I should add that while I am no pro photographer by any means, I am not unfamiliar with a camera. If my camera didn't have auto-shoot options it wouldn't phase me one bit. The point and shoot camera I have now never leaves manual mode (this model, a canon, luckily has a good amount of manual options...hell, I even have it "hacked" with CHDK). I like technicalities, and I like having fine-tuned controls.

I should add that while I am no pro photographer by any means, I am not unfamiliar with a camera. If my camera didn't have auto-shoot options it wouldn't phase me one bit. The point and shoot camera I have now never leaves manual mode (this model, a canon, luckily has a good amount of manual options...hell, I even have it "hacked" with CHDK). I like technicalities, and I like having fine-tuned controls.

Get a 7D then if you love to play around. You will not be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Get one. You are a far better photographer than I am. :)

Thank you, Sir.

I'm not sure about this particular DSLR, but I've been looking at 60D's. Sure, you lose some specs, but one feature it has that I'm not sure I can live without is the flip out LCD. It's a feature present on my current SX10is and just makes certain photography that much easier and far more versatile. It's not something you can find on the more "professional" cameras Canon offers. I thought I would be out of luck finding a DSLR with it, until I stumbled upon this one. Plus, the 60D is a fair amount cheaper, as well. Regardless, though, I have enough money for.... neither. :P

Yes that is indeed an attractive feature for the 60D.

I have never really used any camera with that feature, when I had old film SLR I used the viewfinder, for the SD850IS I used the screen that did not flip. So that is something I did not really miss on the 7D. Because of the video taking capabilities of the new SLRs the consumers are demanding the flip screen ala camcorder style, so you may find the feature trickling up in the pro cameras. I know a couple of friends who did documentary on suburban trains in India using 3 7Ds having two 24-70 and one 70-200 lenses with stereo mics. The documentary won an award for best filmography in a local festival.