Best used cars for ~$10K?

Northstar

So my brother was on his way to school and someone ran a stop sign. The Maxx is likely totaled, and an estimate of $10-11K is probably what it is worth. We don't get the official word until Monday, however.

So, what newer (preferably 2006 or newer) are available in the $10-12K price range?

We have also looked at possibly just giving my brother my mom's Trailblazer and using the money from the Maxx to buy her a new car; we went test driving quite a few cars yesterday.

Anyone have any ideas here? He doesn't want a truck or SUV unless he's forced to take the Trailblazer.

Ex-rentals might actually be a good idea if you have them inspected and there's still the factory warranty remaining. Check out Hertz Rent2Buy. For $10K you can usually get a nice, big 2009 Kia Optima with 35K miles; for $12K, maybe a Mazda 6 or Jetta; and for $13K, a 2009 Camry or Altima. Used compact cars depreciate less and cost about the same, and for that money, you might as well buy new.

If he feels pressured for buying a foreign car and all that, Mazda 6 is probably the best choice, being made in Michigan by the UAW, Mazda partially owned by Ford, etc.

Two words...Ford Focus...fantastic reliability, made by an American company, decent suspension, drives well, excellent fuel economy, available on every street corner...fairly priced.

I'm assuming your brother is rather tall like you, Northie so he's probably going to need/want a bigger car. For just basic A to B transportation, I don't think he can go wrong with a current gen Impala with the 3500, or a previous gen Impala with the 3800. A LaCrosse might be a great sleeper option, as they are much less likely to have been abused.

I'm assuming your brother is rather tall like you, Northie so he's probably going to need/want a bigger car. For just basic A to B transportation, I don't think he can go wrong with a current gen Impala with the 3500, or a previous gen Impala with the 3800. A LaCrosse might be a great sleeper option, as they are much less likely to have been abused.

+ Monte Carlo

+1

Well folks, the Maxx is totaled. Parents are stressing, haha.

Ex-rentals might actually be a good idea if you have them inspected and there's still the factory warranty remaining. Check out Hertz Rent2Buy. For $10K you can usually get a nice, big 2009 Kia Optima with 35K miles; for $12K, maybe a Mazda 6 or Jetta; and for $13K, a 2009 Camry or Altima. Used compact cars depreciate less and cost about the same, and for that money, you might as well buy new.

If he feels pressured for buying a foreign car and all that, Mazda 6 is probably the best choice, being made in Michigan by the UAW, Mazda partially owned by Ford, etc.

This is an idea, and like you point out, I have found that compact cars aren't much of a used car value. There aren't many rental car agencies around here, though.

He's about 6'. He sat in the Cruze and was plenty comfortable. My parents did want to buy something bigger simply so more than a couple people can fit comfortably in the car, like they could in the Maxx, though.

Isn't the Trailblazer an EXT? That seems like overkill for your brother; probably best to sell that to a family that needs the space.

Yes it is an EXT, and it is definitely overkill, but we do go on trips where it is still nice to have. The idea behind that was then my mom gets something a bit nicer rather than giving my brother a car when he's going off to college next year (he goes to community college in town now).

2002 300M Special. Obligatory LH suggestion has been made.

2005 Dodge Charger. First year base models got the 3.5 and the 5 speed automatic.

Too old, and I doubt they let him get RWD with the snow here and he's never driven anything RWD for any long amount of time, much less in snow.

Perhaps the best buy on eBay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-STS-2007-STS-V6-LOADED-SUNROOF-NAVI-CHROME-NO-RESERVE-/150524566846?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item230bf69d3e

Of course the price could go up, but the auction has been going for 6 days and there are no bids.

And with their $3200 in GM points, my parents could buy this for $7700: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Manual-2-2L-155-horsepower-4-Doors-Rear-defogger-/330490482997?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cf2c49135

That would be a new car they wouldn't mind buying for him; if it gets beat up on campus then it won't matter much, and they will actually make money when they collect on the Maxx (probably $10-11K).

a LaCrosse or Impala W-Bod are both good suggestions... Unless you get one with really low mileage and only six months old, like I did, you'd just as well look at a LaCrosse as their owners tend to have more money and take better care of their cars.