Quick Spin: 2011 Dodge Journey

Intrepidation

lead-2011-dodge-journey-qs.jpg

With all of the Chrysler models receiving updates both significant and otherwise, it's understandable if you've gotten a little lost in the fray. Here's what you need to know: One of the most surprising bright lights to come out of the company's refresh bender is the 2011 Dodge Journey. While the 2011 Dodge Charger and Durango may have stolen the spotlight with their new sheetmetal, the Journey has transmogrified into a small family hauler that offers plenty of horsepower, acceptable fuel economy and a massively updated interior. There's even one of the quickest and largest touchscreens of any vehicle we've come across nestled in the dash.

Given Chrysler's recently discovered love of installing much-improved interiors in its vehicles, the newfound goodies indoors should come as no surprise. But the company's engineers seem to have spent just as much time tweaking the crossover's driving character, resulting in a complete package that has turned it from being a washed-up never-was into a competitor almost overnight.

Continue reading

I wouldn't say it's the best one they've done (that would be the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Charger), but I think this is the one that will be the most significant to Dodge simply because it will reach the most people. The Journey, even with the old interior, was one of Chrysler Co's best selling vehicles that wasn't a Caravan. This new interior and the new V6 will make it a hit in the market if they get out there and market it.

I always liked this CUV, didn't even mind the 80's-retro interior in this CUV, but the refresh they've pulled off on this CUV is totally surgical, even Ford-like in its maximum return on investment. I think this CUV is much-improved. I'd drive one as a two-row CUV, for sure. CUV.

ah, so now you admit it was a terrible interior.

to the new journey (which i will be wanting to test drive....can't believe i just said that about a chrysler) I say

don't stop!

believing!

I never said it was good interior.

In fact, I should really be saying "I told you so" for the next several months after having to listening to your constant complaininga bout the Journey needing a new interior and having to remind you each time that they were redoing it, among other things. As you can plainly see.

In fact, I should really be saying "I told you so" for the next several months after having to listening to your constant complaininga bout the Journey needing a new interior and having to remind you each time that they were redoing it, among other things. As you can plainly see.

Please, don't you know he has never been wrong about anything and his opinion is always the only acceptable one? He's the Hyundai Sonata personified

One of my big problems with Chryslers and Fords interiors were that everything seemed so boxy/squarish. This update is unbelievable--and thank GOD. The previous lines/shapes of the interior reminded me of my old `87 Sundance.

Although the white on black looks nice it just makes me wonder how it'll look if you don't stay absolutely on top of it at all times, and after a few years, will it look cream-colored due to wear.

while its a huge improvement, it still lacks some imagination and detail. It looks nice, but there is nothing particularly signature about it.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Well you could get one of the other colors, I know there's an all black interior. Since I'm a clean freak when it comes to cars it wouldn't be an issue for me.

I'm a clean/neat freak as well, but white to me just says impossible to keep white for the life of the car. Too many things can discolor it. Hell, my parents are neat-freaks and the cashmere leather in their Lucerne is darknening with age, and I'm not sure what they're doing that's making that happen.

while its a huge improvement, it still lacks some imagination and detail. It looks nice, but there is nothing particularly signature about it.

Well of course, it's no Hyundai Sonota, the greatest car known to man, the bringer of peace, the curer of disease, the Second Coming, but then what is?