GM to build a new plant in Mexico

Jamie LaReau | | Automotive News / March 30, 2006 - 8:15 am

DETROIT -- General Motors will start construction on a new assembly plant in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, sometime in May. GM will build compact and sub-compact vehicles at the new facility to be sold only in Mexico, says Carlos Gelista, director of public relations and government relations for GM Mexico.

The plant, which should be running sometime in 2008, will assemble about 30 vehicles per hour and employee about 1,800 people, Gelista says.

The cost to construct and equip the new plant will be between $600 million to $650 million. Part of that will be paid by the Mexican government, but Gelista declined to say how much.

Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1/1078&refsect=

Jamie LaReau  | |  Automotive News / March 30, 2006 - 8:15 am

GM will build compact and sub-compact vehicles at the new facility to be sold only in Mexico, says Carlos Gelista, director of public relations and government relations for GM Mexico.

Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1/1078&refsect=

....and the USA if needed......

This is so GM can Flood the U.S. market with product from Ramos Arizpe. What capacity Ramos formerly used for the Mexican market goes to the U.S. now.

3 Frickin dollars an hour? Sorry Nafta has to go!!!!

This is so GM can Flood the U.S. market with product from Ramos Arizpe. What capacity Ramos formerly used for the Mexican market goes to the U.S. now. 

3 Frickin dollars an hour? Sorry Nafta has to go!!!!

Even without NAFTA, I would believe it would still be cheaper to produce in Mexico. Hopefully this keeps some of the wetbacks down there instead of becoming "guestworkers."

Even without NAFTA, I would believe it would still be cheaper to produce in Mexico.  Hopefully this keeps some of the wetbacks down there instead of becoming "guestworkers."

Because I'm sure you or any other "lazy unemployed American" would greatfully take the jobs they are doing for you.

Because I'm sure you or any other "lazy unemployed American" would greatfully take the jobs they are doing for you.

That means zero to me. My mother picked fruit in fields when she was young because she was so damn poor. Even then there were migrant workers in the fields with her.

Come here legally and do the jobs "lazy unemployed Americans" refuse to do. Until then, I would rather eat fruit from Chile, cut my own grass and do my own home repairs.

I have a novel idea... Rather then complain about illegal aliens and waste money trying to keep them out, why not force the "lazy unemployed Americans" to take those "undesirable" jobs instead of leaving them up for grabs. Then they (illegal aliens) would have less reasons to come over! Kill two birds with one stone... imagine that.

Come here legally and do the jobs "lazy unemployed Americans" refuse to do.  Until then, I would rather eat fruit from Chile, cut my own grass and do my own home repairs.

Now convince everyone in the country to do that. They won't.

I have a novel idea... Rather then complain about illegal aliens and waste money trying to keep them out, why not force the "lazy unemployed Americans" to take those "undesirable" jobs instead of leaving them up for grabs.  Then they (illegal aliens) would have less reasons to come over!  Kill two birds with one stone... imagine that.

I am not a fan of the welfare system so there is my answer to that. However, the illegals need to leave and be kept out in order for your plan to work. How thousands of them can march in the streets without a finger being lifted is rediculous.

Fly, you are damn right.

I have no problem with people coming here after lining up and doing so legally.

The problem ultimately exists because there are employers in the US willing to help illegals work--for less money and less liability than they would pay citizens. It's really sad to me to see others turn thier back on immigrants, when this nation was founded on the idea of leaving somewhere for an opportunity to escape persecution. Literally, if all the immigrant workers, and all those who recently became legal workers thanks to the judicial system, were to stop working thier jobs as maintenence, labor, food processing, etc this nation would see a freeze in the economy. OTOH, to control the job situation all Americans have to do is start applying for those jobs! IF you're poor you go out and do something about it--seems to me those with rights here would rather allow some "wetback" [you bloody racist] "take" thier job instead of doing something about it.

I have a novel idea... Rather then complain about illegal aliens and waste money trying to keep them out, why not force the "lazy unemployed Americans" to take those "undesirable" jobs instead of leaving them up for grabs. Then they (illegal aliens) would have less reasons to come over! Kill two birds with one stone... imagine that.

The problem ultimately exists because there are employers in the US willing to help illegals work--for less money and less liability than they would pay citizens. It's really sad to me to see others turn thier back on immigrants, when this nation was founded on the idea of leaving somewhere for an opportunity to escape persecution. Literally, if all the immigrant workers, and all those who recently became legal workers thanks to the judicial system, were to stop working thier jobs as maintenence, labor, food processing, etc this nation would see a freeze in the economy. OTOH, to control the job situation all Americans have to do is start applying for those jobs! IF you're poor you go out and do something about it--seems to me those with rights here would rather allow some "wetback" [you bloody racist] "take" thier job instead of doing something about it.

THANK YOU! Maybe I didn't say it as eloquently, but it's the thought that counts.

What's wrong with immigrants coming over willing to do nasty jobs that pay crap (to us)?

Nothing, I think it's good we can exploit them with cheap labor! No need to move to Asia, we can get cheap labor right here in America!! I'm glad you guys agree that equal rights is not the answer. Who needs equal rights when it benefits corporations?

I wish all Americans weren't lazy and don't work at all! I wish we would bust our balls to make ends meat. We can't sustain ourselves, because we're lazy and don't want to work. We just want to sit around our mansions with our hometheater systems smoking cigars that we lit up with 100 dollar bills that we obtained with our rich uncle's money. Right now I'm typing this up in my private jet. I'll never have to work in my life....

Edited by -Camaro-