3-year User Review

It's been 3 years that I've owned the 2008 LaCrosse CX. The Regal is gone, fetching $1,500 at 271,000 miles. So, here I am with another W-body, a line which ceased production in 2009.

The LaCrosse has been a reliable performer. It has not gone back in for warranty work. The build quality is quite good and it feels solid (well, it weighs over 3,600 pounds). The dashboard makes a lot of sense and I've finally started to understand the available commands in the center stack. Some of them are informative and I've had to make use of the tire pressure monitor which led me to the tire store.

The powertrain is reliable. Best of all, the automatic transmission shifts seamlessly, sometimes giving the sensation it could be continuously variable because you can't feel the shifts. The 3800 Series III has plenty of power when called upon. If pushed hard, it gets a little raspy. Now, here's a tidbit of weird information. I was surprised that the engine (babied and oil changes every 2,500 from the start) used some oil during the last oil change cycle. I spoke with the dealer about this. It was not alarming, but I am not used to a 3800 (Series I) using any. Let's see where this goes. There is a technical bulletin (not a recall) saying that the Series III uses some oil, but not an alarming amount. One angry poster said that they had to keep tinkering with a good engine and keep on adding all these bells and whistles and made it inferior. I don't know about this. It feels quite well put together, save for the electronic throttle control which makes the feeling between the foot and the car's running on hills a little vague.

The overall ride is quiet. It feels best on the highway, where 29 to 30 mpg can be had. On the boulevard, while it can feel a little wallowy, it is reasonably responsive when you have to make a maneuver. I will say that the steering feels a little heavy in the parking lot. I am comparing this car to the Intrigue which, in base form, handled better than the LaCrosse.

In terms of ergonomics, I like the shape of the dashboard. It makes sense. I like the fingertip controls on the steering wheel. They free up the turn signal stalks from extra electronics. I also like the telescoping wheel (standard). Now, badda-bing, let's talk about the seats. I've rented these cars and was thrilled about driving one. However, after 3 years, I will have to admit that I am still hunting around for a comfortable seating position (I'm 5-10 and 180 lbs, so this shouldn't be a problem). The seats are a little hard and the fabric is not soft and pliable. Furthermore, the extra opera window in the back looks nice, but creates a manageable blind spot. I guess I am lamenting the cars of the 80s. The most comfortable car I've ever had was my 84 Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe (hand-me down) where the "living room on wheels" was a great 80s feeling and, along with great seating positions and upright notchback backlites, both the comfort and visibility were top notch.

I like the LaCrosse a lot. I don't love it. I was expecting to. Sometimes, I'll see a Monte Carlo of the same time-frame wizz by and wonder if. Oh well. I can say that the plump buckets in that were more comfortable but I was hemming and hawing about a new(er) engine with VVT for the first time. But I have a Buick. I think it will go for the long haul. I hope it will. There is NOTHING on the market that minimally interests me, except for maybe the Fusion/Milan.

The LaCrosse is best described as highly competent. Because of this potential oil issue (minor at this point) and the harder seats (even compared to the 98-04 Regal), I give the car a B+. (The Intrigue got at least an A-). However, I am satisfied with the purchase because they delivered a car with great build quality and one that is generally tasteful in most regards in an era of automotive weirdness where one is made to feel more like an astronaut and less like the driver of their daily driver.

Good writeup. I agree about the seats in many of todays new cars. Why they have to be so flat and hard is beyond me. I would bet your seat frames and internals are the same as my 2008 Impala as this is my chief complaint with the car. The oil useage is weird but I have heard other similar complaints on the series III motors. My 3900 AFM VVT V6 in comparison has not used a drop between changes with 74K on the clock and continues to be a 100% bullet proof engine that is super easy to live with on a day to day basis much like my old 3800 engines. Very interested in hearing if you find out anything on the oil useage on your car.