H3 vs. FJ

Actually...the FJ is more powerful and cheaper. The only odd point is the ride and handling. They said basically the same thing about both vehicles.

Not that biased at all, if you ask me. The H3, if it wants to be priced at $30k, needs a 30 grande powertrain. AT LEAST 250 horses standard, with an optional powertrain offering another 50 horsepower.

I saw my first FJ yesterday, the Infiniti dealership is right next to

Toyota of Nashua and they had a yellow one up front for display.

Honestly without letting my Anti-Toyota bias kick in I cn say it's

ugly and looks like a fisher price toy... esp. in loud colors. I like

"loud" cars that stand out but the FJ is just plain ugly and

uninspired. I wouldn't buy one if it cost $8000 brand new.

The dash of the FJ reminds me of the dash of the mid 90's S10's.

So when the dash is plasticy on a GM product it's "bland" and needs up dated but in the FJ's case it's "functional and no nonsense"???

Edited by BuddyP

You do know what "FJ" is an acronym for don't you?

FFnnnnn Joke.

H3 at least has the intelligence to put four real doors in the right direction. A true "mommy mobile". No matter what load of baloney gets laid out by the sympathyzers, the looks and colors of the FJ scream "gaymobile". In My Opinion (which will certainly get bashed from now on) the FJ is the "gayest" off-roader for sale now. But you tell why anybody looking for a working or bashing around ORV would want something like this POS? Especially in such effeminate shades.

I've got to ask, everythime theres's a Toyota / GM comparison, SCIguy is here kising and licking the Toyota boots. Not saying you can't post but exactly who is paying you off? Wouldn't suprise me in the least that Toyota (AKA masters of deceit) employ people to run the net screwing on boards. I have no doubts they played that game during their cover-up of the sludge defect. Yep COVER-UP!

Edited by Angry Dad

The H3 shares the GM twin-cam 3.5-liter inline five-cylinder engine that makes 220 horsepower and comes with a four-speed manual. The EPA rates the combination at 16/19 mpg.

GM doesn't use a 4-speed manual in the H3. I don't even think GM produces a 4-speed manual (maybe in the 70s?). Once again, the media is in such a rush to criticize GM products it can't even get the specs right. :banghead:

You guys all get bent out of shape and cry "Bias!" when a GM product doesn't win in a comparison. I read the article and it came out as I expected. H3 won for exterior (which makes sense...the FJ is ugly). There was a tie on the interior, which I can understand, while the H3's interior is much nicer, I could see the FJ's interior as better for offroad adventures and heavier use and abuse...the kind of interior you could thrash around in and not worry too much about it...granted I'd take the H3's interior, so it is mroe or less speculation, but they both have their ups and downs. As far as ride and handling go, I can't comment much being that I've never driven them. Other than the Yota's "supposedly" better rack and pinion setup, it seems the ride and handling department came down to wheel and tire sizes, which are a pretty easy fix if that's what it takes...Then there's the powertrain, well, that's an obvious win for the FJ...I think we all can agree the 3.5 is not really suitable for the H3...maybe that's a little harsh, but I think we can all agree it should be better. According to the article, the safety win clearly goes to the FJ as well...no bias, just fact. They were dissapointed with both vehicles in terms of safety, but the FJ comes with more safety options.

I just don't see the bias in this...I mean, sure, there were a couple lines that seemed speculative, but all in all it seemed like a fair review.

I can attest the FJ is pretty good off road, having driven one on a course at the Toronto autoshow.

I visited a Toyota dealership this week, and they had an FJ in blue.

Get this, I tugged on the three buttons on the center console, and they came of. I know that means nothing, but...

Oh, and btw, the loaded Camry in the showroom had the removable center console bits, so they still havnt fixed that either.

I prefer the H3 interior and exterior, though I dont find the FJ ugly.

Actually, I dont like either truck that much.

I dunno where I was going with this post....

:unsure:

I will take the H3 any day over the Toyota. The H3 hands down offroad is far more capable, I can attest personally! The FJ looks like a lego project gone bad. Did they actually do an offroad test?

GM doesn't use a 4-speed manual in the H3. I don't even think GM produces a 4-speed manual (maybe in the 70s?). Once again, the media is in such a rush to criticize GM products it can't even get the specs right.  :banghead:

I agree get the specs right! Once the H3 gets a power upgrade the FJ will be :pokeowned: so everyone can shut the F*ck up about the power once and for all!! Then lets have a rematch and then the, my personal name for them, the Lyin'arts can give back the win to the H3!

HEY! The media has finally found it's tool to send HUmmer back into the sh*tter again!!!

WOO-HOO! And from the Detroit News on top of it all!!!

And why the HELL would anyone want a 4X2 FJ?!?!?!

It's a decent article.... The H3 didn't get trashed but I did not agree with the safety section as I think that should've been a tie and the Ride and Handling section because H3 now HAS a bigger wheel option available.

The H3 does need a new engine though (GM, are you listening?!?!)

****WELL FOLKS, SAY GOODBYE TO WHAT LITTLE MOMENTUM GM HAD THE PRESS HAS DONE A GOOD JOB OF ATTACKING *ALL* OF THE POSITIVE CARS WE HAD... EDMUNDS AND THE LA TIMES TRASHED THE LUCERNE, DETROIT NEWS DESTROYED THE H3, MOTOR TREND KILLED THE HHR... LOOKS LIKE THE ASSAULT IS COMING FULL SWING AGAIN, GOD FORBID GM TRY TO DO ANYTHING BUT DIE. THEY WON'T STAND FOR THAT!***

Yesterday, I saw a black FJ at a construction site.....with a bunch of construction guys getting in-and-out of it.

I must say it looked good....and looked totally in-place....

By "construction site" do you mean the Bob the Builder kids TV show or Legoland? :huh:

XLRCaddy: People who drive Toyotas learn to harness such incredible ability

through the power of superior engineeering. :lol:

You guys all get bent out of shape and cry "Bias!" when a GM product doesn't win in a comparison. I read the article and it came out as I expected. H3 won for exterior (which makes sense...the FJ is ugly). There was a tie on the interior, which I can understand, while the H3's interior is much nicer, I could see the FJ's interior as better for offroad adventures and heavier use and abuse...the kind of interior you could thrash around in and not worry too much about it...granted I'd take the H3's interior, so it is mroe or less speculation, but they both have their ups and downs. As far as ride and handling go, I can't comment much being that I've never driven them. Other than the Yota's "supposedly" better rack and pinion setup, it seems the ride and handling department came down to wheel and tire sizes, which are a pretty easy fix if that's what it takes...Then there's the powertrain, well, that's an obvious win for the FJ...I think we all can agree the 3.5 is not really suitable for the H3...maybe that's a little harsh, but I think we can all agree it should be better. According to the article, the safety win clearly goes to the FJ as well...no bias, just fact. They were dissapointed with both vehicles in terms of safety, but the FJ comes with more safety options.

I just don't see the bias in this...I mean, sure, there were a couple lines that seemed speculative, but all in all it seemed like a fair review.

Totally agree. And I think the 4-spd manual thing was a typo, as the spec sheet next to the review had the correct information, though someone should really correct that mistake.

So what exactly about the interior in the FJ makes it equal to the H3? The FJ has a nasty styled rental grade interior but it gets a pass because its more "utilitarian"?

The entire dash in the FJ looked like one big glob of cheap black plastic that some drunk assembly line person painted a few spots with bright paints.

Also the H3 is available with a NAV system...maybe they should check their facts.

You can tell that the FJ owns the H3 on and off road from a photo?

I wish I was born with that ability.

If you were born with the ability to read, you would be able to deduce that I was talking about how the interiors looked in pictures and the comparisons that have taken place within the past couple of weeks/months in the car rags.

Nick got it right. There have been a couple reviews posted in the last few days and each excuse is "media bias" or "bash GM because it has some momentum." Stop making excuses and start building cars that are competitive in every area, not just wheel and tire size or overall interior room.

So what exactly about the interior in the FJ makes it equal to the H3?  The FJ has a nasty styled rental grade interior but it gets a pass because its more "utilitarian"? 

The entire dash in the FJ looked like one big glob of cheap black plastic that some drunk assembly line person painted a few spots with bright paints.

Also the H3 is available with a NAV system...maybe they should check their facts.

We can debate the STYLING of the FJ interior until our cheeks go red.......

BUT, I've sat in a few FJs and the fit-and-finish and quality of the materials they use is first-class in graining and texture (even if it is all hard plastic.)

H3 is a big improvement over the H2 as well......

Some people will like the more "utilitarian" look of the FJ and some will like the more "car-like" look of the H3....different strokes for different folks.....but the FJ interior is well-executed....if not particularly attractive.

How are the fj's exhaust hangers? I like a nice, pliable exhaust hanger, preferably with stainless clamps over aluminized steel. And the rubber should have a nice grain to it, nothing bumpy or with reinforcing threads hanging out the sides.

Build a competitive exhaust hanger and you'll get the sales, I always say.

Ok here is a prime example of media bias. Im not saying the FJ aint a cool little trucklet, just like the Fridgeline. But seriously...what the f' is this. They show a picture of the FJ interior and say "FJ Cruiser's dash features an attractive metal." They then show the H3 dash and say "H3 comes equipped with GM onstar" The hell? Why not just have exterior pictures and say "The FJ looks like it can tackle anything you throw at it." about the Cruiser and "The H3 features off road tires" for the H3. If you people dont think thats bias then I dont know what bias is. Other stuff:

"Unlike the H3, the FJ is available in a base 4x2 model; the Hummer comes only as a 4x4." DAMN!! I really really wanted a 4X2 hummer...dumbass.

"The Hummer starts to lose its poise when the pavement starts to get a bit dicey, bouncing its occupants around like rag dolls on the really rough stuff. The FJ stays cool on all but rutted, choppy surfaces. Both vehicles exhibit prodigious offroad capability." Really? Dont remember that when I test drove one...

More media drivel.