Climbing the Terrain...

Surprise. Family vehicle change again. I'm no longer around to see them happen, except for my own, but a picture texted today said it all.

Mom. Camaro. Loved it. 14 months old with 11900 miles. Couldn't drive in snow, worried her, freaked out multiple times, but loved it and drove like a banshee. Ever since I told her "drive it hard", she would, carefully. Weekly was freaking out about going to the store and not having space, going to work in snow and having to borrow the Subie, going anywhere with dogs and taking Subie, etc. Really, a workable situation, but apparently it pained her to let it sit those times. Really, the space/functionality issue got to her, even if it was a blast.

Wanted a Hyundai Tucson, because she "saw one". Repeatedly. I half sold her a CX-9, then a CX-7, but backed out. It died off, then she wanted a Santa Fe, again by seeing one. I demanded she go see our friend at the GM dealer when I was away, to see a Regal or Lacrosse. Did, but looked at Equinoxes & Terrains instead. Drove a 4-cyl Equinox LT, "no way". Liked the car, not the power/sound. Drove a V6 Terrain SLE, and "huge difference".

Dandy. Wanted AWD, V6, leather, etc of course. Located, priced, didn't like pricing. Pondered. Equinox was her choice, Terrain I wasn't sure.

I made a call to my salesman at Pointe Buick GMC in Penns Grove, NJ again (where my G8 originated), told him what she wanted, and boom he had it done, dealer traded a Terrain and sold at a hugely better deal than local would even consider. Their loss again.

She never left home, and they delivered it to her at work today. Got a 2011 Terrain SLT-1 AWD in Quicksilver with Jet Black leather, and 3.0L V6. No other options. Aside from the front plate bracket she loathes (to be worked on), because of the other Jersey dealer it originated from, seems to enjoy it. "Smooth, quiet, comfortable. Huge inside." No Camaro, but alas. Texted me this late today:

IMG_0817.jpg

She didn't like the Terrain when I first suggested it, and I had to ponder the look, but was thrilled to get it and I think will like the techier block look.

I've never even been in a new Theta yet...oddly. Wondering how the 3.0L with AWD will be, as the mileage ratings stink, but owners mostly seem to enjoy after some updates and break in. Now spring, AWD will probably never kick in, hah...but it can if needed, which she wanted.

And around the world again it goes. GM wins again.

Edited by caddycruiser

I want that FWB

If only. I can't believe it's nearly 8 years since dad bought it, wow.

I still am getting emails about my '95, wanting to buy it, as apparently there is an ad somewhere I can't find, that I put up long ago. Memories.

Wondering what this Terrain is really like. Mystery to me.

Got a later night text. Someone is outside tinkering and was just astounded when she opened the center console in the dark, there's some sort of a light inside to light it up. From her Malibu to Camaro to Terrain, it seems like this little boxlet has the most intriguing and thoughtful array of features throughout.

Drew does Albert know you're coming on here "wanting" a Friend With Benefits? :smilewide:

mr. cruiser... very cool Terrain. I'm sure mom made a very good return on the Camaro to get it. Good luck to her.

I want that FWB

If it weren't for the garnet interior we might have to fight to the death...

No likey the red? My favorite feature of the '93, especially vs. so many others later that only came with the dark burgundy interior. After 8 years, the car needs some work but nothing extraordinary for a 18 year old ride...

Back to the Terrain, someone is going to have to figure out how to drill out the front bracket rivets and plug the holes. Did the same on her Malibu & my G6, and she's expecting the same on this one. Hmm.

No likey the red? My favorite feature of the '93, especially vs. so many others later that only came with the dark burgundy interior. After 8 years, the car needs some work but nothing extraordinary for a 18 year old ride...

I actually like the Burgundy but not the Garnet... I like the light blue as well... for some reason that bright red just screams at me. I'm a bit too conservative I guess.

Really doesn't like the front plate, huh?

Musta changed her mind. I zoomed back to DE tonight after work to pack up furniture, and when I pulled in I saw a white plate with a sheltie on it on the front of the Terrain...and her vanity plate (shouldn't be yet, per Jersey) on the back...with the darn "Chevrolet...CAMARO" trim ring still around it. :facepalm: Inquired about that one, to no avail.

Looks nice, I like it. I've not been up close to one yet until now, and really do like it in silver. I'd ditch the sheltie plate, but it's her deal.

Congrats to your mom on her new GMC, and you know I approve! :P

First Walt, now your mom - these Terrains are just flying off the lots! Happy to see Pointe came through for you again :)

Can't wait for more pictures from you and reports from your mom on her ownership experience.

Especially in SLT leather trim...wow, these things have a nice interior. Just checked it out in the dark. Love that new GM smell, and it's huge inside, for sure but small enough outside. I wanna drive it, to finally see what that 3.0L is all about.

Got rid of the Camaro tag bracket, it was too weird.

Roger...Pointe remains top of the top in my book, especially here with delivery and locating/trading the exact right vehicle in no time, of which only 1 existed in a 300 mile radius, at a $2k+ difference vs. locally. All done by an email, phone call & delivered.

Edited by caddycruiser

The Camaro has been prepped, GM Certified and is back up for sale:

http://www.pointenj.com/VehicleDetails/used-2010-Chevrolet-Camaro-Coupe_2LT-Penns_Grove-NJ/1007770033

Was in perfect shape since day one, especially since it was really just mom and no one else ever inside, and had Weathertech floor liners front & back until trade day--had to remember where I put her carpet mats, in a back somewhere.

They should put this car on the showroom floor with a GM Certified sign...then again, it will be good for street traffic, too.

• 1 month later...

Almost 2 months in now, I finally made it back home for Easter and my birthday this weekend, and got to check out the Terrain a bit more. Up to 2300 miles now, and yellow with the insane pollen here.

More importantly, got the parental review of it. Miss the Camaro because it was a Camaro, but otherwise so far this ute is perfect for them.

With the 3.0L and AWD, almost unexpectedly because of some reviews, mom & dad both like the power and--more so--are happy that it is getting better mpg's daily than the Camaro ever did for her. Mom could never seem to break 20 too often with her commute in the Camaro, now with the Terrain AWD it's 22-23 without fail, daily. Dad's gas happy, so that says a lot. "I drove the 4-cylinder ones...no way, no thanks" was repeated again.

Weird that the 3.0L here takes a "regular" old oil filter below vs. the Camaro's 3.6L with a cartridge, is interesting. Dad also, for some reason, didn't think the Terrain and Equinox were related because the GMC looks bigger and completely different to him...nice. He said he's also finally started to notice others around, since she got one, neighbors, etc.

Not a large SUV, but positively HUGE inside. Back seat, front seat, all around. Mom & I went to get coffee, and sitting in front, it feels bigger and airier than my larger CX-9 up front. Didn't drive, but impressed by the silence, solid big SUV refinement, and also very quiet 3.0L. Just a smidge of V6 burble, but all very muted and SMOOTH. Really like it, and am again so glad I pushed enough to get her back to a GM lot, after looking at Hyundais, etc. No comparison.

Terrain_Ride.jpg

Hope this one is around a while. Summer finally or not, also to see how the little AWD trucklet digs through the snow.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 10 months later...

Year update...almost. Just about to cross 15k miles.

All well, zero issues, family enjoys it especially mother. Very pleased with the 3.0L and 6-spd, especially fuel economy. Visited me this past weekend and hopping in to parallel park it for them, I was again impressed by the look, materials, and space. And again, as odd as they can look in photos at times, an extremely attractive little ute in person.

My mother's commute has increased, now 25 miles each way of all 2-lane 55-mph flat cruising roads. Texted me today saying her last week average of 57-59mpg netted her an average of 29mpg on the DIC. Impressive.

Glad to see she's still happy with her purchase a year later. I agree that in photos these can look a little weird, but in person they are a sharp lookin' little CUV. If the TrailBlazer makes a return on the new Colorado platform, I hope a GMC (Envoy) makes a return too and it's similar in design to the Terrain (that they share that family look). Her fuel mileage seems to be great - some Terrain owners on GMC's Facebook page aren't so happy about their MPG ratings (especially with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine).

Glad to see she's still happy with her purchase a year later. I agree that in photos these can look a little weird, but in person they are a sharp lookin' little CUV. If the TrailBlazer makes a return on the new Colorado platform, I hope a GMC (Envoy) makes a return too and it's similar in design to the Terrain (that they share that family look). Her fuel mileage seems to be great - some Terrain owners on GMC's Facebook page aren't so happy about their MPG ratings (especially with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine).

Mileage findings seem to be all over the place. The V6 gets nothing but complaints from some, and the 22mpg highway rating with AWD does LOOK bad, but in reality it fits the trucklet well. A year later, as this driver said, "a lot better than my Camaro and even better than the Malibu". The Malibu is a stretch but that car's 2.4L/4-spd combo was a bad mix. Trips loaded down with 3 dogs, 3 people and their stuff at 75mph, said it normally comes in at 22-24mpg. Otherwise right around 20 and now the new smooth 2 lane, low RPM commute the results as above.

Almost makes me think there are weird differences engine to engine as some report such drastically different things. Then again, when you give any such SUV a 30+ mpg sticker rating and market it, people will never be happy unless they get exactly that everyday.

So all in all, great vehicle. Still bizarre how it looks so odd in some photos, but in person looks great. There are a lot of both Chevy and GMC's around, but glad she ended up with GMC instead of the Equinox in the end. And especially not a Tucson, Santa Fe, CX-7, etc. she originally thought she wanted.

I was looking at a few leftover 2011's myself, as GM just quietly put $1000 dealer cash on V6 models (basically to make the V6 a free option for a few weeks) among other perks. They seem to be producing more V6's for 2012 as well, as I see more driving and more dealers have them in stock.

Next up, Terrain Denali. We'll see how that looks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Another year has passed and a change is in store.

With GM card bonuses, private offer bonuses, decent resale value and good point 2 years in (oil changes only, never an issue except for an intermittent clunk sometimes when reversing and braking/going, mom says), the 2011 is at 29,xxx miles and I thought time to check out new. Just got mom a new 2013 Terrain SLT-1 equipped exactly the same except now with the 3.6L, Chrome 18" wheels (not my favorite, but the base 17" are a no go and her regular 18" wheels are no longer offered), and sunroof. Still the same Quicksilver with Jet Black.

Hopefully the gruntier LFX 3.6L gets the same and better mileage she's gotten used to with the 3.0L, and the IntelliLink, etc. are nice updates. This will be her first lease, but it's so much cheaper to do so why have a long loan when she too wants a new car every few years anyway.

I will be swapping 2011 for 2013 for her this weekend. Until then a preview:

Dealer traded from Harrisburg to our GMC-Buick spot in south Jersey, and then to Delaware.

terrain1_zps21bf6b1c.jpg

So different. Not. Update to come, I have to see what a 2hr trip in a new 3.6L one vs. the current 3.0L one is like.

Still think this would make an AWESOME TYPHOON II Black Edition. Twin Turbo DI V6, Black Mettalic paint job, Both the Wheels and all Chrome bits are Black Chrome.

It would look so awesome. :D

and in about 24 months, there should be a nice selection of the next gen Terrain on the lots.

And there you go. She said herself before "I usually want a new car after 3 years anyway", now after having gone to 72 month loans instead of 60 the last few cars, she'll be that much closer and spend a lot less per month. Dropping $150 per month going from her current loan to a 3 year lease of the new SLT-1, thanks to GM card money stacked upon itself. Oh, GM rebate piles, they make things interesting.

Then often people swap out again after 2 years or so, when its the right time for resale/mileage/incentives, and into another.

A Denali or more/different options would have been nice, but IntelliLink and sunroof should suffice.

Never complained about power with the 3.0L, but did complain about mileage in her Camaro. From owner reviews I've seen so far, Equinox/Terrain people claim the 3.6L in 2013's is doing best of all and even better than the 2.4L at times. Hopefully the transmission tuning is correct.

She did ask for the Titanium interior, but also a no go. I think it would be too light anyway and look discolored quickly anyway, but have never been in one so equipped.

Picked the new one up Saturday night and helped her switch everything over yesterday.

Some very nice changes, from the Intellilink audio to the torquier/better shifting LFX 3.6L/6-speed, and sunroof making the cabin feel airier. Still the same car, but improved.

Will start another thread this week to go over those changes. Until then, a few photos.

IMG_4699_zps37448e38.jpg

IMG_4412_zps70a4c2ac.jpg

IMG_7555_zps8705c949.jpg

Back to back 2 hour drives in each, similar but nice changes the parents should enjoy. I got 2 mpg better out of the 2013 on the trip than I did in the 2011, as well. Hopefully that continues.