GM Teases Us With The New Chevrolet Colorado

The middle pic is not the same truck as in the teaser photo

Yes it is.

Something majorly different is going on here, tho. Teaser shot shows a hood/cowl so high it's nearly at the top of the sideview mirror, at least 3/4 the way up it, yet the middle shot, complete with blocking on the fender tops, sure looks a lot lower. Cowl height is a rigid hard point.

Unless... :scratchchin: the camo truck actually is missing the hood and the blocking is on the inner fender tops. There does seem to be a lot of the wipers showing. If that's right, GM is really playing 'dirty pool' with us peekers. ;)

Edited by balthazar

Looks just as bland and 'blob-tacular' as the Silverado...

I'll hold my breath for a more PROFESSIONAL GRADE offering.

I too am hoping they do more than just a grill change on this one like they did ont the Full Size GMC. Just please no oversized cheap plastic grills.

GMC has a lot of potential that has yet to be realized IMO.

What's interesting though is that I really like the Sierra, but hate the Silverado. In fact, if I were buying a truck right now, the Sierra Denali would be my first choice.

I agree with you on this. I have always favored the GMC as it has always had the better nose even when the bodies were Identical. I have owned more GMC trucks vs Chevy because of the grills alone.

The Silverodo just never worked for me. The big chrome plastic grill is almost as bad as the F250 Superduty. I just don't go for the big rig look on pick ups.

I do see GMC being able to offer items at a higher price and lower volume so this just increases the potential of the limited market for some options.

Looks just as bland and 'blob-tacular' as the Silverado...

I'll hold my breath for a more PROFESSIONAL GRADE offering.

I too am hoping they do more than just a grill change on this one like they did ont the Full Size GMC. Just please no oversized cheap plastic grills.

What vehicle today doesn't use a stock OEM plastic grille? Pretty much everything on the market under $75k comes with a plastic grille (I'm just making that up, just in case someone says that the XYZ Supercar priced at $100k comes with a metal or some other type of non-plastic grille :P )

I see a lot of Equinox/Traverse in the Chevy Colorado replacement truck, which is fine because it meshes well as a "family". On that note, let's hope that the GMC version (I'm hoping for the revival of "Sonoma" over the re-use of "Canyon" btw) takes after the Terrain and Sierra HD (and the Sierra HD All Terrain Concept) for its boxier, professional grade style.

Sorry I guess I should explain better on the Cheap plastic grill comment. I know almost all have plastic [except for my nickel plated GP grill] grills. What I mean are the plastic grills that look as cheap as they are. Many are well done and hide the cheapness in good styling or color. On the other hand trucks like the Silverodo adn even the 90's S10 looked every bit as cheap as they are. As they age the plastic chrome looks like crap with chips and dings. My Inlaws all Lincoln was in pretty good shape but the grill shell took a toll on the car. The stones tore it up while the headlights and paint were ok.

Another example of a grill that upclose that looks as cheap as it is would be the Terrain. On the road it looks ok up close it looks cheap as it hs little depth.

I agree as the first time I saw this nose a while back it looked like the new Chevy face. The new Malibu will also draw on this with similar grill and hood lines. I wonder how much of this may find its way on the new full size trucks in the future. I hope they just do something on the large grill. I would love to see the center chrome but have some color offsets to the head light area to break up the chome.

Some chrome is needed but not head light to head light.

Edited by hyperv6

I've always thought that Chevy/GMC sort of traded-off with each update. Some years the Chevy looks better, some years the GMC (same with the SUVs).

Right now, the GMC is the better looking pickup and the Chevy the better loooking SUV (fullsize for both).

EDIT: Had to edit out the weird, freaky, double post within a post. First time I've ever had that happen.

Edited by Camino LS6
  • Agree 1

Yes it is.

Something majorly different is going on here, tho. Teaser shot shows a hood/cowl so high it's nearly at the top of the sideview mirror, at least 3/4 the way up it, yet the middle shot, complete with blocking on the fender tops, sure looks a lot lower. Cowl height is a rigid hard point.

Unless... :scratchchin: the camo truck actually is missing the hood and the blocking is on the inner fender tops. There does seem to be a lot of the wipers showing. If that's right, GM is really playing 'dirty pool' with us peekers. ;)

It is too hard to judge on this image alone. One issue is a computer or computer enhanced image and not the real thing. It also is distorted as when look at the photo it is a little out of proportion compared to the spy shots.

GM is not giving a clear shot even with a undisguised image. GM is good at hiding things in plain sight.

I've always thought that Chevy/GMC sort of traded-off with each update. Some years the Chevy looks better, some years the GMC (same with the SUVs).

Right now, the GMC is the better looking pickup and the Chevy the better loooking SUV (fullsize for both).

Even back in the late 70's we had a Serria Grande just like the one Rocky had on the Rockford files. I would love to have one like that again. The silver and maroon inset with the bed rails was just cool. It was so cool it was stolen and replaced with one just like it. The guy who stole it turned it into a Silverodo and got caught with it 8 years later. We bought it back and drove it 8 more years since he did not put miles on it. He did add power windows, buckets, Power locks and tilt. It is a easy upgrade if you run a chop shop. :smilewide:

Yes it is.

The teaser image is not a photo. Sketches/illustrations can be a lot more "sexy" than the real thing. And there are foam blocks underneath the vinyl camo to throw you off.

^ I realize there is blocking under the camo (note my quoted post), but blocking will raise a given point on a vehicle; it's additional material. In the pic, the blocking is still lower than the cowl height in the teaser- which is why either

• the cowl heights are radically different,

• the hood is not there under the camo, or

• the teaser image is tweaked/not accurate.

I'm now thinking back to the teaser art of the G6 and the level of accuracy there.

Have to remember not to even bother judging these teaser images anymore.

I saw them too and it has a real Truck/Ute look about it. The cab looks like a Truck with a car nose and the bed looks like a Holden Ute styled bed.

Could this be unibody similar to the Zeta? It also reminds me of the GMC 4 door show Ute we had a few years back but just a little more truck like.

Either way I like it. The interior is a well optioned but a little plain in color and trim.