Volkswagen Wants Alfa Romeo In The Family, Fiat Says NO!

Volkswagen Wants Alfa Romeo In The Family, Fiat Says NO!

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

March 15, 2011

gallery_10485_126_64982.png

Volkswagen has been making passes at Alfa Romeo, trying to get the Italian automaker to leave it's parent company Fiat and join the Volkswagen family. Earlier this month, VW Chairman Ferdinand Piech said if Alfa Romeo was under the Volkswagen umbrella of brands, they could see sales of 400,000 vehicles within five years.

This week, a rumor has come around saying Porsche could provide assistance to Alfa if they moved to the Volkswagen family. Part of the assistance could be a new flat-four engine Porsche is working on. The engine could be installed into mainstream Alfa Romeo models, separating Alfa Romeos from Volkswagens, Audis, Skodas, and Seats.

What does Fiat think about Volkswagen wanting Alfa Romeo? Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne says back off,

"As long as I am CEO of Chrysler and Fiat, Mr [Ferdinand] Piech will never have Alfa Romeo. It's hands-off. I told him. I will call him and I will email him."

Piech response: “Volkswagen has time.”

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Autocar

Alfa is only hurting right now because they haven't introduced their designs here yet. They could sell a bunch of them here very well... they are sexy enough

I don't know if re-entering the US market is Alfa's way of recovering lost volume, even though Lancia's pairing with Chrysler, as odd and perhaps stupid as it is (the brands share no historic traits), might end up being Lancia's salvation. The 159 is still an awesome looking car/wagon, but Alfa could start by presenting its replacement: do a better car then the A4 and Alfa is back in business.