You Go 200k

• 1 month later...

Actually, the problem with these was not reliability, but driveability problems stemming from failing emissions components. Cadillac had similar problems in the late '90s when the EPA discovered that under certain conditions (full throttle) the computer would ignore emissions concerns completely. The EPA required recalls that booted them out of the country... but then UN sanctions killed their export business completely. Later, aerial bombing killed much of their homeland business. I give Zastava credit for still existing today.

If you were to put the Yugo up against the original GM Diesel, 8-6-4 and Vega 2300, the Yugo would probably win in long term reliability.

I believe if Zastava came back to the US with a newer $8000 car, people would be tripping over themselves to get it.

"Cadillac had similar problems in the late '90s when the EPA discovered that under certain conditions (full throttle) the computer would ignore emissions concerns completely"

That's the way all GM computers at least up to OBD II (maybe even later) were programed its called open loop. Closed loop is when the computer is in control.

"Cadillac had similar problems in the late '90s when the EPA discovered that under certain conditions (full throttle) the computer would ignore emissions concerns completely"

That's the way all GM computers at least up to OBD II (maybe even later) were programed its called open loop. Closed loop is when the computer is in control.

I know the difference between open loop and closed loop, this was not the problem. This occurred while the system was in closed loop... it was essentially an emission defeating feature...

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/Pre_96/November95/596.txt.html Only link I can find on short notice.

I know the difference between open loop and closed loop, this was not the problem. This occurred while the system was in closed loop... it was essentially an emission defeating feature...

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/Pre_96/November95/596.txt.html Only link I can find on short notice.

Thanx this paragraph made the light bulb burn brighter :smilewide:

"In 1991, GM designed a new engine control computer chip to

respond to customer complaints of stalling and other drive

problems in the 1991 Cadillacs. The device nearly tripled the

output of carbon monoxide when the car's climate control system

is on -- for heating or cooling. The instructions on the

computer chip enriched the fuel (increased the amount of fuel

relative to air), which overrode the emission control system and

resulted in multiplying the carbon monoxide emissions. For the

1993-1995 model years, GM again failed to disclose the use of the

device or its adverse emissions effects."

Thanx this paragraph made the light bulb burn brighter :smilewide:

I could have sworn Cadillac did something similar in the later '90s... had to do with full throttle. But I can't find that, so I might be getting the problems somewhat mixed up.