Odd Pontiac Catalina I saw today

Out for a Sunday drive w/ my family today, I saw this Catalina (67, 68?) parked on a lawn:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is this some home-style hackjob, or a Canada-only version, or what? Notice the parting line around the door, and the joint where the window frame angles forward- def. looks hand-made. (Just realized the pics are kinda crappy, sorry.) Doesn't look like a pickup bed, it looks like some kind of trunklid is still present.

Just strange, never seen one like that before. FWIW

whoa... thats really weird... but... i have something that rivals it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

behold the 1968 corvette!! station wagon?!?!?!?!

It's a '68 Catalina 4dr sedan that has had some crude cut-and-paste job done to it. Looks like it would be hard to get in and out of with the tiny door uppers.

Edited by moltar

That's definitely a homebuilt.  It started life as a '68 Catalina.  Based on the trunk, it looks as if it may have originally been a Catalina conv that someone grafted the El Camino roof onto.  The quarters have been patched up badly as well...

I'm pretty sure it was a four door..look at the length of the door and you can see the outline of the sealed-up rear door under the bondo..

I'm pretty sure it was a four door..look at the length of the door and you can see the outline of the sealed-up rear door under the bondo..

I think you're right. I looked mostly at the rust repair around the quarters, but the "sweep" doesn't start on the door as it would on a 2 door or convertible...and the door looks a bit short. Good catch!

Poor Catalina...

I think you're right.  I looked mostly at the rust repair around the quarters, but the "sweep" doesn't start on the door as it would on a 2 door or convertible...and the door looks a bit short.  Good catch!

Poor Catalina...

I've seen a few mutants like this before..when I lived in Florida, in my little town there was a '73 Torino wagon that had been cut off behind the driver's seat and had a flat bed installed, and a '73 Mercury Colony Park wagon that had the whole roof cut off--a station wagon convertible..both crudely done..

Eeegads.

Interesting.

But, disturbing at the same time.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Waiting to be mended like a potter would mend a broken vase" ... Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers ... 'Broken Lady'

Sad. Very sad. Two independently neat vehicles sacrificed to make one pile of $h!. Makes me wonder about all the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagons that had their rear roof section cut off to furnish the needs of that dumb f@#king custom van fad that lasted for all of ten minutes back in the late 70's.

Those bars on the back of the rear section, though; please don't tell me this is some sort of awful attempt at a flower car. Almost reminds me of the '67 Toronado flower car on eBay last year where the rear section was made from what appeared to be the quarter panels from a '67 razorback Cadillac Eldorado. Didn't look good, but didn't look bad either. Anybody else remember seeing that?

Craptastic attempt at a flower car Poncho. Too bad such nice car(s)

were cut up and destroyed in the process.

Craptastic attempt at a flower car Poncho. Too bad such nice car(s)

were cut up and destroyed in the process.

Another way of looking at it that the sedan was probably a rusty beater, the Elco was probably a wreck, and someone merged the two into something else rather than both going to the crusher...

I hope you're right Moltar. :)

pardon the ignorance... but what is astro ventilation?

so kinda like... RAM air a/c? haha