Why do people buy, 1955

Another vintage Popular Mechanics' survey, random tidbits repeated here (Feb '56 issue- can access via google) ~

• • • •

Buyer age~

18-21 :: 1.6%

22-30 ::23.2%

31-40 :: 32.7%

41-50 :: 22.5%

51-65 :: 16.5%

over 65 :: 3.5%

Married ~ 85.7%

Why did people buy new? (middle of 3 price ranges) ~

Previous car all right but just wanted new :: 42%

Previous car no longer dependable :: 41%

Previous car used too much gas/oil :: 8.6%

Previous car had too many miles :: 7.9%

Most important factor ~

Previous experience with make :: 25.3%

Trade-in on old car :: 14.3%

Exterior styling on new car :: 13.6%

Price of new car :: 12.1%

Operating ease of new car :: 10.6%

Handling ease of new car :: 10.0%

Average age of cars traded in ~

low price range :: 3.9 yrs old

med price range :: 3.6 yr old

high price range :: 3.4 yrs old

Does the make of Dad's car influence make selected by buyer? ~

When dad owns GM, son buys GM :: 56.6% (<- #1 choice)

When dad owns Ford, son buys Ford :: 42.7% (<- #1 choice)

When dad owns ChryCo, son buys ChryCo :: 38.8% (<- #1 choice)

New '55 car is ~

larger :: 47%

smaller :: 17%

same :: 35%

How many could get along with new car different size than current car? ~

Present car is right size :: 66%

Could use little smaller size :: 20%

Could use lot smaller size :: 11%

Could use larger size :: 2%

Of those who could use a smaller car, how many will buy smaller next time? ~

Will buy smaller :: 17%

Will not buy smaller :: 83%

How many normally ride in car with driver? ~

Drive alone most of the time :: 44%

With one other person most of the time :: 38%

With several others most of the time :: 19%

If had unlimited money to spend, what make would they buy? ~

Low income range :: Cadillac 35%, Olds 12%, Lincoln 10%, Chrysler 8%

Mid income range :: Cadillac 40%, Lincoln 13%, Chrysler 9%, Olds 7%

High income range :: Cadillac 41%, Chrysler 15%, Olds 10%, Lincoln 5%

How many bought same make as traded make? ~

Same make :: 47%

Different :: 53%

How many bought same 'family' {Corporation??} as traded make? ~

Same family :: 67%

Different :: 33%

51% would look at a different make if buying tommorrow... why? ~

Styling :: 20%

Engineering :: 10%

Cost of operation :: 9%

Price :: 6%

• • • •

I like these type of 'reality' stats better than what we often get, and would really like to know the answers to these questions for 2005.

If had unlimited money to spend, what make would they buy? ~

Low income range :: Cadillac 35%, Olds 12%, Lincoln 10%, Chrysler 8%

Mid income range :: Cadillac 40%, Lincoln 13%, Chrysler 9%, Olds 7%

High income range :: Cadillac 41%, Chrysler 15%, Olds 10%, Lincoln 5%

The only way to travel, is Cadillac style.

Is pretty telling, when it's the universally sought-after marque. Not sure any one marque would hold that distinction today tho (mostly due to so much market saturation, IMO).

You know what though... I think people want to like Cadillac and they want Cadillac to be the most aspirational car out there. Everybody and their grandmother has a BMW. Right now, it's the product line that is holding them back. They need their 2011 version of the Eldorado Brougham.

• Agree 2

Is pretty telling, when it's the universally sought-after marque. Not sure any one marque would hold that distinction today tho (mostly due to so much market saturation, IMO).

You know what though... I think people want to like Cadillac and they want Cadillac to be the most aspirational car out there. Everybody and their grandmother has a BMW. Right now, it's the product line that is holding them back. They need their 2011 version of the Eldorado Brougham.

what was the price delta for cadi back then and today compared to other makes? lowest and highest. i'm guessing cadi's lowest model was much closer to chevy's lowest model compared to today....even if you take inflation into account.

what was the price delta for cadi back then and today compared to other makes? lowest and highest. i'm guessing cadi's lowest model was much closer to chevy's lowest model compared to today....even if you take inflation into account.

Good question...but remember that back then there were 3 middle brands between Chevy and Cadillac unlike today where there is only 1.

Good question...but remember that back then there were 3 middle brands between Chevy and Cadillac unlike today where there is only 1.

The brands were also smaller. Each brand typically had a junior car and a senior car with multiple body styles and engine choices of each.

The brands were also smaller. Each brand typically had a junior car and a senior car with multiple body styles and engine choices of each.

Yes, and the most mind-blowing aspects to me is that other than the Corvette, all the models across all the brands were full size, each brand had their own engines and wheelbases. Such a different time..

cts MSRP¹ STARTING AT $35,345

MSRP(1) Aveo family starting at $11,965

lowest prices... i could easily find

http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/cad1950/CAD55S.HTM

55-62 6219(X 4 Sedan 6 $3977

http://www.carsandstripes.com/1955chevrolet.aspx

1512 2 Door Utility Sedan $1593

2102 2 Door Sedan $1775

2402 2 Door Sedan $1668

http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=3977&year1=1955&year2=2011

caddy $ today $33,496.13

chevy $ today $13,416.98 (using $1593 as base line)

cadi i smore expensive now compared to then and chevy is cheaper now compared to then. interesting result, but again, this is just 1 sample.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1955/Cadillac

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1955/Cadillac/Fleetwood-75-Imperial/Sedan/Values

$6,402 which is ~ 53,920.61 now

2011 Escalade Hybrid Platinum RWD $83,385

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1955/Chevrolet/Bel-Air-Nomad/2-Door-Station-Wagon/Values

$2,571 is ~ $21,654.15 today.

would the truck be more expensive back then?

2011 Suburban 4WD 2500 LT $54,749

delta on the upper range was is in the 30K for the adjusted price........... about the same as today. edit, the more things change, the more they stay the same. lol

Edited by loki

To expand on loki's pricing, Chevy's '55 line ranged

from $1593 (One-Fifty 2dr sedan 6)

to $2571 (Nomad V8). Corvette

was $2934.

Cadillac's spread ran

from $3977

thru $6286 (Eldorado). Series 75 Imperial limo

was $6402.

2 years later the ultra-lux Eldorado Brougham was $13704.

Obviously, there was no Chevy/Cadillac pricing overlap in '55... or even close. As it should be (and always was).

Now, we have an 'ATS' guesstimate to start in the $30K neighborhood, and Chevys (ZR1) are $100K and trucks are $55K. Still F'd up.

• • • •

Olds- I agree with your theory on the underlying hope (for lack of a better word) WRT Cadillac.

There's a TON of good will that a killer product or 2 would meet with great reception. They're waiting....

• • • •

>>"Each brand typically had a junior car and a senior car with multiple body styles and engine choices of each."<<

In '55, this is not very obvious when it is present. For Cadillac in '55, all models were on 1 wheelbase, with the 60 Special a tad longer (limos: duh). Cadillac was outside the norm with offering the Eldorado with completely different sheetmetal from the doors back. But in general; yes.

IMO, it needs to move back toward this model. While we're used to it, situations like the altima/maxima are just inefficient wastes of money.

Sure; if you dangle the carrot out there, the rabbits will eat them, but from a business standpoint, it is too often too much. People have been conditioned that more is better, and that's what they want (when they 'know'), but is it? Chevy (and many others) have a bewildering array of models, commonly separated by a few inches in size. I've still yet to see anyone shopping cars with a tape measure (or a printout of dimensions). Is this scenario really much different that a number additional different body styles on 2 (or 3) lines?

I would really like to see/know how a 2 (or 3) model car line would work today; not a sudden cold-turkey jump, but in a vacuum: what percentage of Brand X buyers would be willing to choose from a 50% smaller catalog and still find a Brand X vehicle to suit them?

I mean, I look at the BMW x5 and the X3 and ponder if the same volume (or 85% of it) could be served by a merging of the 2. :scratchchin:

I would really like to see/know how a 2 (or 3) model car line would work today; not a sudden cold-turkey jump, but in a vacuum: what percentage of Brand X buyers would be willing to choose from a 50% smaller catalog and still find a Brand X vehicle to suit them?

I mean, I look at the BMW x5 and the X3 and ponder if the same volume (or 85% of it) could be served by a merging of the 2. :scratchchin:

Ahh you nailed the question. Smaller lineup brands can be more profitable if there are fewer highly flexible platforms and engines and sharing is universal. Smaller brands do indeed give different faces to a car company. Ideally speaking there should be at least one mega brand capable of taking development and differentiation money for the other brands thus subsidizing the efforts.

Fragmentation is the mode of survival of the German luxury automakers. By creating a perception of "levels" and "styles" all BMW, Audi and MB have successfully done is create enough room and confusion to line their pockets. In someways it is creation of small lineup brands within a brand to me.

To expand on loki's pricing, Chevy's '55 line ranged

from $1593 (One-Fifty 2dr sedan 6)

to $2571 (Nomad V8). Corvette

was $2934.

Cadillac's spread ran

from $3977

thru $6286 (Eldorado). Series 75 Imperial limo

was $6402.

2 years later the ultra-lux Eldorado Brougham was $13704.

Obviously, there was no Chevy/Cadillac pricing overlap in '55... or even close. As it should be (and always was).

Now, we have an 'ATS' guesstimate to start in the $30K neighborhood, and Chevys (ZR1) are $100K and trucks are $55K. Still F'd up.

Speaking of spreads - what was the spread for other GM brands during the same era? I am curious to know the overlap.

Yeah.... well Cadillac back in the 1950s was a powerhouse of a brand.