Opportunity rises...

balthazar

I mentioned this about a year.5 ago- a exceedingly rare car may become available to me in the near future.

I got the phone call today, touching base & alerting me to this ad of said car:

http://cnj.craigslis...2621361274.html

My friend/ the owner passed away in Sept of '09, but I had seen this car a few times over the years.

Imagine a circa 19' long El Camino with custom bodywork & trim and commanding presence.

I am pretty damned good at research, but there's ZERO on the net about this vehicle- seems the "1 of 1" claim is true (tho I remember the owner telling me it was '1 of 2', but the other no longer existed). According to the owner, he had a considerable mental list of people who wanted dibs on the car should he ever sell it. What it might reasonably be worth restored.... even I don't know.

Money & time are always tight... but today not only did I find a possible inside storage location with a drive-up ramp & plenty of room, but a willing financial backer (same party). Hoo-boy.

The (tiny) pics in the ad are from many years back, as it is no longer in such spiffy shape (tho it has been inside since those days).

I have a feeling this one will slip away to another buyer before me.... :wacko:

Edited by balthazar

I prefer the 60's Continental to this one, I saw a late 50's Continental sedan at a car cruise this summer and it was huge. I think the Cadillacs of this era had better styling. My question is what is the cost to convert a car to have a bed. Especially on an old hearse with the flat floor, you might be able to recreate this car.

You should investigate with the Lincoln and Continental Owner's Club and the Professional Car Society. Ask the seller for information from any data plates and see who did the coachwork? If it is as rare as the seller claims, it would be highly coveted by some member of either of the organizations mentioned. Hopefully, it will be saved by the proper restorer, and good luck!

Edited by ClassyEldo

I prefer the 60's Continental to this one, I saw a late 50's Continental sedan at a car cruise this summer and it was huge. I think the Cadillacs of this era had better styling. My question is what is the cost to convert a car to have a bed. Especially on an old hearse with the flat floor, you might be able to recreate this car.

The '60s ones are real clean, but to the point of almost being boring, IMO. I've been around them (same owner) and while I appreciate them, there's not much going on stylistically.

Converting a car to have a bed where it did not would take a thousand hours of skilled labor. As for building a copy of this from a hearse; impossible, there were no hearses built. Hearses in general have rather high interior floors, anyway. It's likely easier to build one from a 2-dr hardtop.

ClassyE- I'm on the message board of the PCS, but the owner was a long-time member of the LCOC, I do not question the claim (and it was borne out by my own research). Frankly, if I have any chance at this, alerting the core audience for this one is not advisable. ;)

In some ways...you and I are so much alike. And in other so much different.

Seeing this makes me want to think of driving it with an old 59 Vette on a trailer behind, headed for the track Circa 1962.

I can't imagine wanting this thing for myself. I'd much rather have a garden variety four door convertible from the sixties if we are talking Lincoln, thakyouverymuch.

Best of luck to you sir.

Here is an alternative, a 1988 Buick Park Avenue with pick up bed, and 3800 V6.

I think you just assigned yourself the job of cleaning out the cesspool in the C and G dungeon for life with that post, sir!

Here's a more modern alternative...though I'd get rid of the bulky aluminum thing at the back and have a flat tonneau cover made...

Or graft on a Fox body Mustang hatchback and rear C-pillars to make a Town Car 2 seater fastback!

http://firsttradereg...2_07/88lincoln/

1954Merc1988Lincoln205.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Jalopnik has a Lincoln alternative...

truckalincktop.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/...aul-your-assets

Dude...that is just so cool in its own way.

Automotive excess FTW!

All grotesque, but in a bad way. I'm Jonesing for 'good grotesque'...

I'm just Jonesing for good clean design....

Methinks I see the Answer in VW GTI....

But this Lincoln has been showing up in many cool ways in my dreams at night. I think its (the 59) wicked cool in its own way.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

I would not normally consider touching a '58-60 Lincoln, their styling doesn't do it for me, and I've looked over a brace of them in person (5 in 1 location)... it's the stainless bed and coachwork that's working it's siren song on me.

Storage location mentioned in the OP was secured today (1 year lease to start, but the lessee is considering purchase of the structure), smoothing the possibility a bit more.

Just vicariously kicking old, dry-rotted whitewalls over here...

That said- I did send the seller an e-mail tonight, saying I should come over and look it over really well. Last time I saw it, it was not for sale and I didn't look at it in that way. Tho if it's still in the unlit shed it was last in, pics are not going to come out very well... tho of course I'll get a bunch. I should be able to find some time within the next 2 weeks...

Balthazer-your son is into guitars, my son is into guitars, we are both into old cars.

I have been wanting to find and excuse for a new Jersey road trip for a long time...I think this Lincoln just might be the ticket should you get it.

Those 80's Town Car conversions are excellent. I always thought if I were on Top Gear and had to make an amphibious car, it would be an 80's Town Car in white with a Mississippi paddle boat theme.

Are you and Loki perhaps sharing the same Bong?

In the past on Top Gear when they have made amphibious cars it is always a VW camper van or pick up, but no car is closer to a boat than an 80s Town Car. Imagine a white Town Car with black landau roof, red paddle boat wheels and twin decorative black smoke stacks cruising down the Mississippi. Fantastic.

In the past on Top Gear when they have made amphibious cars it is always a VW camper van or pick up, but no car is closer to a boat than an 80s Town Car. Imagine a white Town Car with black landau roof, red paddle boat wheels and twin decorative black smoke stacks cruising down the Mississippi. Fantastic.

In a velvet painting of Elvis sort of way...yes...I can agree with you.

As real art, I will take the flower car.

Owner e-mailed me back (we've talked a half dozen times over the years).

He's offering to take monthly payments.... :facepalm:

See if you can swap work on his home for the vehicle...I've gotten lots of good deals that way over the years.

Of course, New Jersey taxes would then make it as expensive as a Bugatti Veyron, but it's a shame you have to (by the law) pay taxes on work when you barter.

Things may work a bit differently in a sole proprietorship than under a big company. ;)

And paying taxes on bartered work AND paying taxes on the bartered item is double-taxation; against the law. :rolleyes:

In my cursory barter experience, it never works out to mutual satisfaction of both parties. I have a standing rule against it.

Also at stake here is that the car is part of the father's estate and the barter thing might have to be split among 3 rather than go to just 1- the potential numbers-jumble there makes me dizzy.

Things may work a bit differently in a sole proprietorship than under a big company. ;)

And paying taxes on bartered work AND paying taxes on the bartered item is double-taxation; against the law. :rolleyes:

In my cursory barter experience, it never works out to mutual satisfaction of both parties. I have a standing rule against it.

Also at stake here is that the car is part of the father's estate and the barter thing might have to be split among 3 rather than go to just 1- the potential numbers-jumble there makes me dizzy.

Works for me...

In a velvet painting of Elvis sort of way...yes...I can agree with you.

As real art, I will take the flower car.

Well I wasn't thinking from a car art point of view, but if I had to turn a car into a boat to cruise along the 3 rivers of Pittsburgh, I can think of no car better than a nautical motif Town Car.