Mercedez Benz News Spying: Mercedes-Benz G55/G65 AMG

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

December 28, 2011

The Mecedes-Benz G55 AMG, the official vehicle of OPEC, is getting a refresh. Spy shots of some lightly camouflaged prototypes undergoing testing in Europe were released yesterday.

The refreshed G55 AMG will get AMG's 5.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8 producing around 525HP and 516 lb-ft of torque. It's unknown if the G55 will get the 7-Speed AMG SpeedShift MCT transmission.

There is also a rumored G-Wagen with a AMG tuned 6.0L bi-turbocharged V12 producing 612 HP and an eye-watering 737 lb-ft of torque.

Both vehicles will come with minor exterior changes including a restyled front bumper with extra air-vents, plus different wheel and exterior mirror cap designs. Inside, the G-Wagen will enter the new millennium with a new instrument cluster, dashboard, center console, and steering wheel.

Source: CarScoop

View full article

It's a 40+ year old vehicle. The turn signals are still externally-screwed to the fenders with a fat, exposed rubber gasket, like a VW Thing from the '60s.

In fact, it bears more than a passing resemblance to a Thing. What an anachronistic waste.

Actually, it's a bit over 30 yrs old (G-class came out in '79). Been updated a lot since then..it has the same kind of old-school charm that the Land Rover Defender has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_G-Class

• Agree 1

No. The Impala has the DOHCss, the Vtechs, and 6-speedss.

On a serious note, I do want to drive a 2012 Impala sometime. Apparently they all have the Cop spec suspension and now with 300hp up front, could be a hoot to drive in that "can we replicate the Blues Brothers chase scene?" sorta way.

• Agree 1

On a serious note, I do want to drive a 2012 Impala sometime. Apparently they all have the Cop spec suspension and now with 300hp up front, could be a hoot to drive in that "can we replicate the Blues Brothers chase scene?" sorta way.

Yeah, I want to drive one also... I drove two '11s this year...maybe I'll rent one from Thrifty on my next trip...

• Agree 2

Not to hijack the thread from G Klasse, but I did drive one of the 3.6L 6-speed combo Impala. It is hoot to drive and very agile for a W body. The engine-transmission combo is better than the V8 SS we had few years ago. This combo should have been offered three years ago.

W-Body the best platform EVAR!!!

• Agree 1

Hooray for pointless vehicles! I myself am surprised they still make this thing, but 3rd world dictators seem to keep buying them. It is almost funny just to see how long they can keep it on sale at this point.

The Jeep Wrangler has been pretty much the same for a long time, the G-Wagen isn't too different aside from costing 5 times as much.

I'm surprised how many G-wagens I see in the wild..there are at least 3 within a mile or two of my neighborhood, judging by how often I see them..I once was in the drive thru at Dairy Queen and had one in front of me, one behind me...see them at Starbucks several times a month. I seem to see them more often than the GL-class SUV.