Chevrolet News:GM Puts An APB Out On Missing Sonic Brake Pads

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

December 30, 2011

Today, General Motors issued a recall for 4,873 Chevrolet Sonics due to missing front brake pads. The Sonics in question were built between June 2 and November 21 at GM's Orion Township plant. GM says that out of the 4,873 Sonics, only 20 to 30 have no brake pads.

Having no brake pads on your car doesn't mean you can't stop, it means the braking performance will suffer and could cause damage to other parts of the braking system.

GM says they will notify all potentially affected Sonic owners and install any missing pads and, if necessary, replace any calipers or rotors free of charge.

Source: NHTSA

View full article

I noticed they did the anouncment on Friday PM before a Holiday. I hope this helps.

Would really think that they will catch most of thes before they leave the plant or when they get to a dealer. You would have to notice at least loading or unloading it from the truck.

From what I have seen they only are looking for the 20-30 cars.

I would expect that they cars are not in customers hands and are either in a storage area, in trasport or just unloaded at the dealers. GM had to put the word out just to cover their butts if one some how did get to the public. While this is not good new it is better to put this call out vs a customer reporting it first.

Odds are the rear suspension may be done as a unit out side the plant and they just bolt the unit in. So many of these parts are assembled by outside vendors anymore. I would just think they would have caught it on the rollers at the end of the line. They do check braking on the little dyno run they have. There should have been some drop off in stopping.