Global version Colorado First Drive

ocnblu

Motor Trend has an article online, with an extensive gallery, of new Colorados, having driven them in Thailand. While overall very nice, I have two issues with the new truck: its carlike front end, and relatively (to wheel opening size, at least) tiny tires, even on the Z71.

I know smaller tires are cheaper to replace, and this truck will be all about low maintenance costs, but man, I hope for meatier meats on the US version, esp on Z71s.

Huh. The speedo/temp and rev counter/fuel guage are basically the same as the Camaro's. I never noticed that.

EDIT: Looking at the photos a little bit closer, I see other little ways GM raided the corporate parts bin -- the radio preset buttons are from the old corporate "black tie" radios.

I also wouldn't have any trouble believing that elements of the door panels came from the previous-generation Opel Astra.

Here's the link to MT's test if you were having problems finding it on Google (like I somehow managed the first time I tried looking for it): link.

Edited by black-knight

I'm digging that center stack of this uplevel LTZ interior:

2012-Global-Market-Chevrolet-Colorado-right-hand-drive-steering-wheel.jpg

This must be the basic (LS. LT) interior, since the center stack is different and the steering wheel does not have leather & buttons:

2012-Global-Market-Chevrolet-Colorado-dash.jpg

2012-Global-Market-Chevrolet-Colorado-center-stack.jpg

Another thing to note, the red Colorado is an extended cab and a LTZ model. The red one also has the two-toned interior. Look at the first picture above - it suggests that the rear quarter windows are power operated (like the full-size trucks).

Motor Trend has an article online, with an extensive gallery, of new Colorados, having driven them in Thailand. While overall very nice, I have two issues with the new truck: its carlike front end, and relatively (to wheel opening size, at least) tiny tires, even on the Z71.

I know smaller tires are cheaper to replace, and this truck will be all about low maintenance costs, but man, I hope for meatier meats on the US version, esp on Z71s.

I don't look at the front end styling as car-like, I look at it being softer (much how the '94 S-10 was when it debuted). This differentiates it from the full-size styling too - really, should it be a mini-Silverado? I like how it relates to the well-selling Chevy Equinox in the styling. Both are Chevy's smaller trucklets - why not have then share some styling attributes? The only downside I can see is if the Colorado-inspired TrailBlazer comes here, it may cause some confusion. But I believe Oldsmoboi has stated that the next Equinox & Terrain are going to shrink in size, which would allow a larger TrailBlazer to not steal sales away.

Also, I'm more than positive that the American market will demand some meatier tires. If not, there's always a tire store ready to sell you bigger rims and tires!

BTW, I can't wait to see the GMC version. I expect it to be truckier (boxier) in styling, a'la Terrain. I don't expect a mini-Silverado, but I do expect it to have different styling from the Colorado this go-around.

If they do eventually offer this in NA, I wonder if they will water down/cheapen the interior to keep the prices down...

If there's anything I see them cutting out of the North American model, it's the snazzy uplevel climate control system. Otherwise, the interior looks like it was designed to be relatively inexpensive to develop and produce (that doesn't mean I think it's a cheap-looking interior; it isn't).

I have to wonder what the budget to develop this truck was ...

CORRECTION:

2012-Global-Market-Chevrolet-Colorado-Extended-cab-interior.jpg

I was mistaken in my post above... upon re-checking the pictures in the link at the top, I noticed they sneaked in a crew cab interior (in addition to the extended cab one) that has a red exterior. The picture above shows that the rear quarter windows of the extended cab are not power-operated, but hinged like the current models. My bad!

The one thing for sure is this is a massive improvment over the present truck just in pictures. If the quality of the materials are as I would expect based on other new Chevys this truck should do well.

I do not see them taking anything out of this truck, if anything I expect they will add to it. I do have concern on price. People generally want all the options in these kind of trucks on they want them base, there is little middle ground anymore in this class.

The Chevy nose id ok on this as it should not be a Mini Silverado. Let this truck be unto its own.

I do like the fact it looks like it is a real off road able truck. I was worried it would be like many of the SUV's today that claim 4WD but are no more off road than a Malibu sedan.

In some photo's this truck looks good and some it look ehh! I think the color and the tires have a major impact and as many of the other GM cars they look better in person vs in photo's. I hope this holds true here and I will be excited to see it for the first time inperson to decide what I really think.

The Climate control panel is interesting in the LTZ.

The Trailblazer is the one I figure that will dominate once it arrives. It has solid looks and should see many improvments the old one really needed.

The real key in this country will be the loss of the Ranger as there is few options this class to choose from. The base truck will be popular with buisness that Ford has dominated for years. I would hate to see how much money Ford made from Orkin over the years. LOL!

My only real issue based on the photo's I have seen are the 4 door cab. The bed to cab just looks down right odd. More so than even the present truck. But they are only a small part of the sales and those who want it want the untility and not the looks.

My only real issue based on the photo's I have seen are the 4 door cab. The bed to cab just looks down right odd. More so than even the present truck. But they are only a small part of the sales and those who want it want the untility and not the looks.

Asian- and SA-market crew cab trucks usually seem to look that way.....they have a short bed to avoid having to lengthen the frame...either avoiding the cost of an extra chassis variation or for practical reasons (i.e. shorter=more manuverable in crowded cities)...some of the older models even had the rear wheelhouse right up against the back of the cab w/ no bed bodywork ahead of the wheel..

Asian- and SA-market crew cab trucks usually seem to look that way.....they have a short bed to avoid having to lengthen the frame...either avoiding the cost of an extra chassis variation or for practical reasons (i.e. shorter=more manuverable in crowded cities)...some of the older models even had the rear wheelhouse right up against the back of the cab w/ no bed bodywork ahead of the wheel..

I know why they do it as it is easy to understand. I'm just not thrilled with the look and the bed size. But like I said the people who buy them don't buy for the look but the cab utility.

I do not see them taking anything out of this truck, if anything I expect they will add to it.

Well, Mark Reuss said that the Colorado would be low-frills for North America.

If they add anything to what the Colorado will be for our market, those additions will wind up in GMC's version and not in Chevrolet's.

I do not see them taking anything out of this truck, if anything I expect they will add to it.

Well, Mark Reuss said that the Colorado would be low-frills for North America.

If they add anything to what the Colorado will be for our market, those additions will wind up in GMC's version and not in Chevrolet's.

No matter if it has a GMC badge or Chevy there will be a Low end bare bones model but they will still over a version with all the bells and whistles. Options are where the money is made in trucks. They are cheap and easy to put in and they add profit.

Being a global truck they will be able to sell in a lower volume here and still keep the price down here. With the S10 and last Colorado they had to make the money just what they sold here. I see this truck selling in much greater numbers outside the States and that will make it so they can price it lower here. The tooling alone will be paid off in a place like Asia or South America.

Hyper, the S-10 is still being sold in some places, and the Colorado is also a global truck.

Blo, they were never offered to the level or scale this truck will be. GM really is global now and not just a bunch of divsions under a GM umbrella doing their own version of a platform. One platform for all with only minimal market changes.

Edited by hyperv6

Did you just call me "blo", or was that another of your ridiculous, unending typos? The S-10 is still being sold in some places, and the current Colorado is a global truck, with "minimal market changes".

Did you just call me "blo", or was that another of your ridiculous, unending typos? The S-10 is still being sold in some places, and the current Colorado is a global truck, with "minimal market changes".

Blo, it's not a typo and if it bothers you good it was ment to draw you out! It is so easy to mess with someone so imature and anal. The fact is I don't like you and will not take anymore crap from you here. We can disagree on autos and get along fine but you want to be anal or rude It stops there. I asked you nice like Olds asked in a PM and it had no effect. Ok I type bad sorry it is what it is, when I wake up, if I'm in a hurry or on my phone it happens deal with it. I don't get paid to be here or check/proof read my post. I am on a computer all day and I pop in to just make quick post as I do not want to spend any more time than needed. I do have a life. I also deal with Dyslexia but do not hide behind it as a excuse like so many others. I made it through school and collage with it, My spell check does not work and I have asked for help form others but no one I have asked knows how to correct it. So from here on please be polite or pass on my post. I have held back for a long time and I can mistype your name or other words all day just to piss you off or show disrespect with out offending anyone else here.

Note this was not the first time I called you Blo.

Note you can still disagree on automotive points all day and we can get along fine. A good debate is fine and fun for me.

Olds I am sorry but I did as you asked and asked him nice a little while back and found it did not take. I thought it was best to state it here. We can get along but the ball is in his court.

The S10 was build in the States and South America with limited exports from the US and Brazil plants. That is no where near how the new truck will be makreted. The Colorado was built here and Thailan [not as a Colorado but a Isuzu] and was a limited export to other markets. Also this is not on the scale that this truck will be sold and marketed.

The new truck will be build and sold around the world in near all markets that Chevy is now marked in. Chevy now is a global name plate and vehicles like the Cruze and coming Malibu are already starting to be sold an built on or for each continent with only minor changes at the same time. Chevy has not done this before to this scale or level and it will make it easier to sell more product using the same designs and tooling to bring the cost involved in building down. .Global Economics of scale are much greater here than ever. That is also why we will see the Trailblazer soon here and everywhere and not just the Middle East.

The first gen S10 was not sold out of NA but there were limited exports in some cases. Most were for military use or by servicemen. I still have customers around the world asking for parts for them.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1

http://www.chevrolet...ps/s10/s10.html

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Isuzu_D-Max

No reason for an explosion and no reason for namecalling.

No reasons for the lack of courtesy and personel attacks! I have asked nicely before as requested but I will not take it any more. I did wait till after the holidays and your last personel attack comments.

My typo's are not done on pourpose to annoy you. Sorry they happen but they have happened and they will happen again. It is just as some of your annoying comments will continue that I over look. You have done your share of typo's too and I have held back from being an a$$ and pointing them out to you.

As I have stated deal with it or ignore my post and we will get along just fine. I am willing to continue to comment and debate with you on cars if you are willing.

I am sorry to all others for my typo's and my comments here but it has come time to stand my ground. I tried to do it by PM before but it did not work. I have said my piece and it is up to him.

Now back to the topic. You need to understand that the new truck will be sold here is pretty much the same as the one in Asia, South America, Middle East, Europe, Afica and India. There will be market changes in a few optons and drivetrains. The trucks you speak of are often change much over what we have had. The 4 door was sold for years in South America before we got it near the end of the 2nd gens run.

Also in all markets it will be a Chevy and not an Isuzu or some other name other than GMC here in NA. I suspect they will also offer this in Austrailia since it is already in RHD and there is a growing market there for small trucks. The question is will they do as they have with the other Chevys and call it a Holden pick up.

See we can agree to disagree and remain civil. Lay off the personal comments and we will get along just fine.

Edited by hyperv6

We've read that changes will be in store for the US version of this truck, and we've seen the Holden and Isuzu rebadges already in videos and press photographs.

I hope we get some styling changes on the US version, and gas 4 and 6 cylinder options in addition to the sweet little Duramaxes.

I expect few changes on the truck here. We will not see the bed witht he outside tie downs but the rest as with the cars will have little change. I think the greatest changes for the US marke will be with a ZQ8 package and a ZR2 like package that will give us a Sport truck and a off road package that will fancy up the truck. These are models that would not really do much in some off shore market.

I expect a Diesel and 4 cylinder but we have yet to see any V6 yet for this. Could it be they will go with a Turbo 4 vs V6? I would like a 6 option but know a Turbo 4 can do the job just as well.