Cheers or Jeers: 15,000 Mile 1961 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

8 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! With a little work she can be factory fresh once again!
    • Jeers! For that price I expect all the hubcaps to be there!

1961 OLDSMOBILE DYNAMIC 88 2 DOOR HARDTOP 15,000 ORIGNAL MILES, 2 OWNER.

This car was bought new at Penny Motors in Dayton, Ohio. The orignal owner passed away in 1964, and the wife never drove. The car sat in a dry garage until we bought the car in 1993 or 94.

The car has all orignal paint, interior, chrome. It has only had maintence items replaced. Their still orignal chalk marks under the hood in the engine bay. That is why I have not tryed to clean the engine bay any harder, I am afraid of wahing off the orignal marks. I just recently had to remove the orignal plastic seat covers. I have one set of the orignal keys, I have the orignal penny motors leathe key case, but recently broke, case is in the car.

The car has marood cloth and vinyl upholstery, am radio, power steering, power brakes, roll up windows, automatic transmission, The paint is in great shape, no Rust, Interior looks like new, as the trunk looks like new. The Olds runs great and everything works. The carpet has no wear marks.

When we bought the car we went through all the normal items that would need to be repalaced from long term storage.

The plugs were pulled and the motor was free and turned over freely, so we put som oil in the cylinders for a little extra lubrication. The next are all the items replaces or rebuilt.

1.Brakes, new master cylinder, rebuilt power booster, all new steel and rubber brake lines/hoses, wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware.

2.Fuel System, new steel guel lines, and rubber hoses, rebuilt carberator, new fuel pump, tank, dropped and cleaned , painter and replaced.

3. Coolant, radiator removed and cleaned and repainted, new water pump, all hoses and clamps, complete system was flushed and all new coolant.

4.Tires, just put on 4 new B.F. Goodrich correct whitewall bias ply tires.

5. Complete tune up, AC plugs, cap, rotor, points and condensor, spark plug wires.

6.Transmission, pan dropped cleaned and new filter and gasket, and new fluid.

The negatives on the car , drivers side mirror is a little loose, the fuel guage does not work, The orignal hub caps are lost, we took them off when we got it and have not been able to find them, or find 4 matching caps. I have 2 style of caps on the car, 2 of one kind and 1 of the other style. These pictures were taken about 2 months ago. I will add some more pictures of the car in the next day or so.

$%28KGrHqRHJEcE913!4EvIBPkySm%28g7w~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqJHJCoE9rfTjDVbBPkyS546iQ~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqNHJ!sE9vBPNuSMBPkyT!4ER!~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqVHJEYE92!YmIgoBPkyTUf0Og~~60_3.JPG

Cool Find, but for the money, they should have all the original hubcaps. Why the hell take em off t begin with if it is supposed to be a collectors car. I suspect they sold them for the money.

Cool Find, but for the money, they should have all the original hubcaps. Why the hell take em off t begin with if it is supposed to be a collectors car. I suspect they sold them for the money.

Those old hubcabs have a bad habit of disappearing after hitting a pot hole, so its more likely they lost them. If they were selling them, I think you'd see a $15 set of plastic Pep Boys caps.

They need to visit the hubcab pyramid in Weymouth, NJ.

50545963.jpg

Generally, I dislike O-61s. Front ends are meh & I dislike skeg fins (on the '61-62 Caddys, too).

But this IS a 2-dr hardtop, the colors are right (tri-tone interior), and it's in EXC shape. Cheers.

And I love the skeg fins and entire tail treatment on the O-61s. Sure, the front is meh (still better than '60 or '62, IMHO), but the bubbletop and rear treatment make up for it.

Love the Rocket Motor. I see it is actually running, you can tell by the alternator, it's fins are moving. :P Still a jeers car to me, but kinda coolin a historical way.

• 2 weeks later...

Always seemed like such grandma cars to me. It pains me to "jeers" an Oldsmobile.... so I'll give it a qualified "cheers" on the basis that I would take this over a Pontiac or Buick of the same year.

No way would I ever choose a '61 Oldsmobile over a '61 Pontiac:

1960-1961-pontiac-ventura-1961-3.jpg

But I'm a Pontiac man like you're an Oldsmobile man :P

• Agree 1

That's a sweet old vehicle. I'd take it and simply rock the red steelies.

PREACH IT BROTHER!

I find all the '61 bubbletops interesting, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick. GM had some great styling that year.

Yes they did!