What would you do?

Paolino

Let's see if I can narrow these down clearly and consisely for ya:

2009 Buick Lucerne CXL

Options include: heated/cooled seats, harmon/kardon radio, heated wood steering wheel, wood shift knob, bluetooth, chromed 17" wheels. It's a 2009 so it has the 3900, 4-automatic. Currently available with this package (which makes it enticing for me to try an "older" car). $18,995, 34K miles, could prob talk them down a bit.

2010 or 2011 Buick LaCrosse CXL

Either the 3.0L or 3.6L V6. Satisified with what would be included on the CXL trim so I wouldn't need to shop around for a special package. For around $26,995-27,995, at approximately 13-15K miles.

Situation: job is unstable, but secure for at least one more year. They love me, but education isn't really a priority anymore in NYS. Currently have $10,000 cash for a nice down payment.

If I'm going to act on the Lucerne, I should probably act soon since that particular trim with those options aren't together often. If I'm waiting for the LaCrosse (and it has to have a V6 because I'm not dealing with a 4-cyl in a car that heavy, granted the used 4's take 1-2K off the price), then I can wait til the end of the summer. Need a car by mid-August.

Opinions? Things I haven't considered? Thought about the Regal, but 2011's don't have remote start and they're honestly not that much cheaper than a LaCrosse, which I rather have for size/quiet/cushiness.

I'd go with the Lucerne. The LaCrosse is the superior car in every way, but the Lucerne is a great car, all stereotypes aside.

1) It gives you plenty of room, slightly more than the LaCrosse

2) The same fuel economy as the LaCrosse

3) Slightly higher mileage than the LaCrosse, but it very likely was babied its entire life, given the demographic that it caters to

4) Cheaper to purchase. Given your job situation, you could take the 10K and have most of the car paid off.

I hear you. I was thinking that was the sensible thing to do as well. Now, what do you think I can knock them down to on price?

Edmunds has the dealer trade-in on a loaded 09 Lucerne CXL to be about 17.7. Try getting him down to 17 and see if he blinks, but methinks 18 gets the deal done.

Yeah I'm with Z on this one, the Lucerne is plenty good and it's better not to get yourself into more debt than you need to if you're worried about being employed next year. The 3900 and 3500 are about as bulletproof as any engine GM has made in the last fifteen years.

Thanks guys... maybe I'll make a trip this weekend to the dealer. We've bought several cars from this dealer since the mid 90's, so they know us well.

With an uncertain job situation it may not be a good idea to get a new car, but if you absolutely need one, I'd go lower on the price scale which rules out $27k on a LaCrosse. The Lucerne is so dated dated though, it was dated when it was new, imagine it in 5 years time. Aside from the Hyundai Sonata (the best car ever) I would say a 2006-2009 Cadillac STS is actually the best choice. An 07 STS is around $20,000.

While the Lucerne is dated quite frankly I would bet it's a lot cheaper to maintain in the long run than an STS. There's lots of stuff you can do with a Lucerne to get some mileage out of it too... like adding a factory touch screen NAV unit. These cars do have Bluetooth, remote start, memory seats, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel. It's not exactly a penalty box.

I have a G-body car, it was not cheap to maintain. So hard to say with a Lucerne. I had 3 power windows break on my car, I think it is just GM build quality and luck of the draw. The 3.6 with a 6-speed shouldn't be much worse on gas than a 3900/4-speed. But again, if cost of ownership, then I go back to a 2011 Sonata GLS which used are about $18k.

Actually the Lincoln MKZ isa good used car buy also, they can be had for under $20k and they always did well on JD Power reliability ratings. And the chassis isn't from the 1980s like the Town Car or W-body.

I have a G-body car, it was not cheap to maintain. So hard to say with a Lucerne. I had 3 power windows break on my car, I think it is just GM build quality and luck of the draw. The 3.6 with a 6-speed shouldn't be much worse on gas than a 3900/4-speed. But again, if cost of ownership, then I go back to a 2011 Sonata GLS which used are about $18k.

The Lucerne isn't some flaky second-generation Aurora and shouldn't be considered as such. The 3900 is a just a 3500 VVT with a longer stroke, and the 3500, at least up here in Canada, has become the go to engine for taxi operators. The powertrain is simple and pretty much indestructible. Wiring, computer bits and switchgear are shared with the Impala and the GMT-900 platform and I can tell you straight up from personal experience that I haven't had any trouble in that department in five years of ownership myself. Fit and finish wise, sure it's not as good as a Cadillac but that being said the STS and CTS have developed rather a reputation for being rattly and a having things loosen up as time passes by (just read an account of Edmunds' long term CTS in 2008)

I will agree though that the MKZ or even a Fusion is a great choice, though. That's an option that is definitely worth considering.

Take the Lucerne (and get a slightly lower price on it). Ever since Buick discontinued it, demand for that large car is still fairly high. Second-gen LaCrosses are great, but expensive right now. If I were to replace my 99 Park Avenue Ultra with a Lucerne, it would be fairly tough down here in FL since they are surprisingly hard to find these days.

The Lucerne isn't some flaky second-generation Aurora and shouldn't be considered as such. The 3900 is a just a 3500 VVT with a longer stroke, and the 3500, at least up here in Canada, has become the go to engine for taxi operators. The powertrain is simple and pretty much indestructible. Wiring, computer bits and switchgear are shared with the Impala and the GMT-900 platform and I can tell you straight up from personal experience that I haven't had any trouble in that department in five years of ownership myself. Fit and finish wise, sure it's not as good as a Cadillac but that being said the STS and CTS have developed rather a reputation for being rattly and a having things loosen up as time passes by (just read an account of Edmunds' long term CTS in 2008)

I will agree though that the MKZ or even a Fusion is a great choice, though. That's an option that is definitely worth considering.

The engine isn't the problem, in 9 years on the Aurora V8 I've had to replace oxygen sensors, some wiring and a power steering line. That's it, unless you count 3 engine mounts. My engine has been rock solid, it is the rest of the car that will fall apart around it. The build quality of a GM car, especially one of the old generation is what would worry me. Post bankruptcy cars may be better. In this case, I like an MKZ over a Buick.

There are a lot of nice cars to be had for $10k, I'd buy a car with cash & avoid debt if your job situation is unstable. Taking on debt isn't a great thing to begin with, taking it on when your financial future is unstable just seems clearly unwise IMO.

Edited by PurdueGuy