Camino LS6

Pre-Caminos, Phantom-Caminos, and one Rare Ford

55 posts in this topic

I've seen a55 Nomad made into an El camino and done welll..

in 1955 GM seriously built El-Camino prototypes but decided to hold off for a bit...

Camino LS6    866

I've seen a55 Nomad made into an El camino and done welll..

in 1955 GM seriously built El-Camino prototypes but decided to hold off for a bit...

That's new information to me, thanks!

I wish they had gone ahead as I've seen nice ones built from Nomads too. I'd love to have one, but could never destroy a Nomad to get one.

There used to be a Nomad about 35 Miles south of me that had been a good start on an El-Camino conversion...guy was trying to turn it back into a Nomad.

Not sure whatever happened to that car.

ocnblu    776

Ranchero came out in '57, IIRC. If Chevy had gone ahead in '55, they would not have been accused of playing "catch-up" as they were with the '59 Camino, '62 Chevy II, '67 Camaro, etc. etc. (although I guess the Chevy II was only in hindsight, as hopes were still high for my beloved Corvair in '60-'61).

balthazar    2,010

Not aware of any 3-D concepts for an Elky-esque vehicle from any of the GM studios circa '55, enlighten me please.

I've seen a handful of sketches for the '55 Chevy Cameo, which looked to be quite low like a car,

but these were 2-D only and undoubtedly would've been truck-based had they seen 3-D light.

I've got a book about 55-57 Chevrolet's upstairs...old factory photographs et al.

They have photographs.

I'll have to dig the book out,

balthazar    2,010

This is up for auction @ B-J later this month:

19454_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

In the day custom (don't kno when) :

1955Chevrolet_01_700.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

Edited by balthazar

ocnblu    776

Is there any photographic record of Aussie Utes from this purriod? Did the Australians invent the car-based pickup, or were the very earliest pickups actually just cars with open beds?

balthazar    2,010

^ Without pulling books out, Ford had a Model T Roadster pickup (car based) at the same time they offered the Model TT (definite truck).

I know there was a TT in at least '17, T debuted for '08... so the car-based pickup is pretty early.

Someone else could've been there well before Ford, too.

Edited by balthazar

Is there any photographic record of Aussie Utes from this purriod? Did the Australians invent the car-based pickup, or were the very earliest pickups actually just cars with open beds?

There were Chevy utes from the '49-52 generation in Australia...not sure what Chevys were sold there after that, but they definitely had Holden utes...

138855822.CvK3K7cN.IMG_5730.JPG

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

GMTruckGuy74    228

Not aware of any 3-D concepts for an Elky-esque vehicle from any of the GM studios circa '55, enlighten me please.

I've seen a handful of sketches for the '55 Chevy Cameo, which looked to be quite low like a car,

but these were 2-D only and undoubtedly would've been truck-based had they seen 3-D light.

You don't happen to have pictures to scan, would you?

GMTruckGuy74    228

One of the best '57 Chevrolet Phantom El Camino models I've ever seen was the Danbury Mint 1/25 die-cast version they offered a few years back (and I regret not ordering):

dm1538.jpg

http://www.phillymint.com/danburyshopcartAE/dm1538m.htm

They even offered a hot rod version too:

dm1534.jpg

http://www.phillymint.com/danburyshopcartAE/dm1534m.htm

One of the best '57 Chevrolet Phantom El Camino models I've ever seen was the Danbury Mint 1/25 die-cast version they offered a few years back (and I regret not ordering):

dm1538.jpg

http://www.phillymin...tAE/dm1538m.htm

They even offered a hot rod version too:

dm1534.jpg

http://www.phillymin...tAE/dm1534m.htm

That is really cool...similiarly, some releases of the AMT 1:25th scale '55 Nomad model kit include a separate roof and floor parts for building a phantom El Camino....it has a smaller rear window. The original 1962-era issue of the kit has the parts as do some later releases, but the most recent (from about 5 years ago) doesn't...I plan to build one of mine as a phantom EC eventually..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

balthazar    2,010

You don't happen to have pictures to scan, would you?

No scanner, but I could try and take a pic tonight.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.