Sign in to follow this  
dfelt

JaTech Disappearing Doors

6 posts in this topic

dfelt    1,874

I had forgotten about these types of aftermarket doors. It would be cool if GM did this for the Caddy and Buick divisions.

What do you think? I loved the pickup truck with the doors.

dfelt    1,874

Safety standards won't allow

If it has the I beams in the door to protect against side impact and when the door comes up it locks against the body, I do not see why this would not satisfy safety standards.

Intrepidation    848

I remember this, it's a very cool concept but there are some problems:

On the safety front, what happens if the car is in an accident and both door mechanism jam?

On the practical front, say goodbye to door mounted armrests, cubbies, or any sort of design on the door panels. In order to make that system work, the inside panel has to be completely flat and devoid of anything that gets in the way, as you can see at 0:58.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      This story is posted by MSN in their auto forum from a U.S. News and World Report story on "Why Are Manual Transmission Disappearing?" 
      Thought it was an interesting piece. I agree with some of what is said but also feel there is a lack of effort on why some might still want a manual or how they can keep the value by being an informed sales person.
      I will agree that the best anti-theft device is a manual transmission now. Seems the news has more and more stories about the craziness of people breaking in to steal an auto and when it is a manual they end up having to leave.
      http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/why-are-manual-transmissions-disappearing/ar-BBwHYFp?li=BBnb7Kz 
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)