Mercedez Benz News V12s To Disappear From AMG's Lineup

The days of high-performance V12s sitting under the hood of AMG models is coming to an end.

Speaking with Automotive News at the New York Auto Show, Mercedes-AMG CEO Tobias Moers said the brand would stop selling V12 models once it phases out the 65 line that uses them.

"There is still demand for a V-12, but if you move forward with a V-12 in the future, the investment will be too high, in my perspective. You have to increase power, and you have to move forward with the technology in that engine. We'd better invest our money into electrified V-8 vehicles," said Moers.

The current 6.0L V12 is still capable for future models explained Moers, but not for the high outputs AMG is looking for.

The phaseout of the 65 lineup has already started with the last-generation G65. Back in October, AMG announced the G65 Final Edition, marking the end of a V12 option for the boxy SUV. The next-generation S and SL-Class will also drop their 65 models in the next-generation.

That doesn't mean V12s will be disappearing from other Mercedes-Benz models. The Maybach subbrand is expected to continue offering a V12 option.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

I am willing to bet that they will push a detuned V12 on the Maybach and have a better performing turbo V8 with Electric assist that they will point at in justifying sales numbers and killing the V12 for the Maybach also. Just a matter of making it look bad on each and every line of auto. No different than any other auto company.

I suspect that the real reason has to do with the cost of a V12 vs. that of a turbo V8.  MPG can also be a factor.  I remember a car salesman asking me years ago whether I wanted cylinders or horsepower.  Almost no one would go for more cylinders when HP and torque are what you really need in an engine.

The real tragedy is the near disappearance of the V6 in anything other than trucks, luxury cars and some (luxury and common) CUVs, with few found elsewhere.

• Like 1

Sounds like the Maybach S-class will continue with the 621 hp V12 it has now, which maybe makes sense for one more generation of S-class to have that huge torque available without needed to rev up an engine or use electric boost. 

AMG doesn't need the V12 is it huge and heavy, and they already have figured out how to combine electric motors with the 4.0 liter V8, they can get 800 hp with that.   Hybrid performance is the future.

HA - my V8 is larger than MB's V-12. Actually- 3 out of 4 of my V8s are larger.

But what I am curious about is; if MB's cache' was having that rare V-12 option available, something that showered all sorts of warm fuzzy good mojo down on the $86K s-class, how's it going to work out for future customers once it's gone? Now the top sedan is just another 8- 6- (and soon to be 4-) cylinder sedan in a sea of them.

- - - - -
I remember decades ago when I learned about Jaguar's 1960's V-12 in the E-Type.
I may have laughed out loud when I found out it was a measly 326 CI (IIRC).

Edited by balthazar

16 hours ago, balthazar said:

HA - my V8 is larger than MB's V-12. Actually- 3 out of 4 of my V8s are larger.

But what I am curious about is; if MB's cache' was having that rare V-12 option available, something that showered all sorts of warm fuzzy good mojo down on the $86K s-class, how's it going to work out for future customers once it's gone? Now the top sedan is just another 8- 6- (and soon to be 4-) cylinder sedan in a sea of them.

- - - - -
I remember decades ago when I learned about Jaguar's 1960's V-12 in the E-Type.
I may have laughed out loud when I found out it was a measly 326 CI (IIRC).

One more generation of the V12 in the Maybach S650 gets them to about 2027, if it goes that far, I could see it being gone after 2024 due to all the environmental stuff.  But post 2025 how many V12s will be left anyway?  Maybe the Phantom or top end Ferrari, which are like $400,000+ cars.

Mercedes can replace the V12 with electric or hybrid power, and have more power, more refinement, more technology, etc.  The V12 served its purpose since 1991, they are going to get 30+ years out of it, but new technology comes along.