Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Dowdell

Sales: June 2012 - Mitsubishi

22 posts in this topic

Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today reported June 2012 sales, including 1,461 sales of the Outlander Sport CUV. This marks a 13 percent increase compared to June of 2011. Year-to-date sales of Outlander Sport are up 2.6 percent.

"We're pleased that U.S. consumers are confirming our strategy of focusing on fuel-efficient models like this stylish crossover," said MMNA President & CEO Yoichi Yokozawa. "We'll begin U.S. production of this popular model this month in Normal, Illinois."

Mitsubishi had good news on the high-performance front, as well. Sales of the Lancer Evolution continue to grow, with an increase of more than 31 percent in June. Lancer Evolution sales are up more than 35 percent year to date.

Sales of the Galant sedan were up 116 percent for the month and are up 3.1 percent year to date.

"Our overall sales volume will continue to be impacted by our models that have not been in production since summer 2011," Yokozawa added. Total Mitsubishi June sales were 34 percent below the level of sales in June 2011, but sales of models currently in production were up 10.2 percent.

Click here to view the article

I thought the Evolution was being discontinued....

Several friends have bought new Evo's and really like them...

I guess now I have no stake in it, but the dealership I recently separated from has a deal in the works to purchase a Mitsubishi franchise from another local dealer group. Good luck with that.

Maybe they could contract to obtail herpes instead?

Mitsu has BAD product....not godawful or unreliable....but I can't rationally figure out how any sane person could want one.

Other than the Evolution, for performance reasons. And even then, I can think of a lot of better ways to spend 40 large on a car.

Not bad but./..could you really rationalize purchasing one?

While the EVO has a cult following, I would say that both Mitsu and Suzuki are two car companies best left to a quite death. Yes variety adds spice, but these companies no one would really miss if they went out of business.

Makes you wonder how much of the Yakuza are involved in keeping struggling businesses like this afloat for some alternative reason.

Suzuki and Mitsubishi and Mazda should just merge..... then they might have a fighting chance.

Is Mitsu only struggling in the US, though? Or is this a worldwide problem?

Japanese are too stubborn that way. Suzuki makes nearly 3 million vehicles a year globally, they just don't see the US as a big market for their tiny cars. Mazda is less than a million and a half if I recall. They all seem to think they are big enough to survive with their own world niche markets.

I initially disliked the new Outlander, but now that I have seen more pics over time, I like a lot about it. I already really dig the Outlander Sport. The OS needs to have its powertrains sorted out.

Mazda doesn't really get it in a couple ways. The smiley face thing for one. And at least they finally got rid of the RX7. That would have been a nice car without the wankel. Miatas a nice car but its a niche market. Mazda doesn't leverage itself very well to translate into sales.

Outlander Sport is updated some for 2013, right? I wish part of the update was a move to the 2.4L engine instead of the tiny 2.0.

Japanese are too stubborn that way. Suzuki makes nearly 3 million vehicles a year globally, they just don't see the US as a big market for their tiny cars. Mazda is less than a million and a half if I recall. They all seem to think they are big enough to survive with their own world niche markets.

I initially disliked the new Outlander, but now that I have seen more pics over time, I like a lot about it. I already really dig the Outlander Sport. The OS needs to have its powertrains sorted out.

Mazda doesn't really get it in a couple ways. The smiley face thing for one. And at least they finally got rid of the RX7. That would have been a nice car without the wankel. Miatas a nice car but its a niche market. Mazda doesn't leverage itself very well to translate into sales.

Well, Mazda seems to think they are in trouble....

Suzuki and Mitsubishi and Mazda should just merge..... then they might have a fighting chance.

So very true, if they merged, they could actually have a nice wide portfolio of product and be able to grow. But I see all 3 of these companies on LifeSupport.

Suzuki could do their SUVs and trucks

Mitsubishi focus on AWD/Sport.... likely with an intent to take on Subarus like the WRX... Mitsu has the heritage for this.

Mazda could be a sporty bread and butter division with the Miata and RX as their halos.

Use Mazda Skyactive and SkyActive-D engines all around.

Suzuki could do their SUVs and trucks

Mitsubishi focus on AWD/Sport.... likely with an intent to take on Subarus like the WRX... Mitsu has the heritage for this.

Mazda could be a sporty bread and butter division with the Miata and RX as their halos.

Use Mazda Skyactive and SkyActive-D engines all around.

Should put together a business plan that shows the benefits of bringing these 3 companies together and pitch it to them. :P

Merge Suzuki, Mazda and Mitsubishi? Uh, why? Who would run the place? Who would get fired? I have a better idea: at least two of the three should leave the US/Canada market since none of them have any significant impact here.

snapback.pngOldsmoboi, on , said:

So very true, if they merged, they could actually have a nice wide portfolio of product and be able to grow. But I see all 3 of these companies on LifeSupport.

one of my competitor's stores sells both brands and the complement each other well, you can flip people back and forth.

Outlander Sport is updated some for 2013, right? I wish part of the update was a move to the 2.4L engine instead of the tiny 2.0.

your wish is my wish too. or a 2.0t.....

A very rational post that expresses my frustration with Mazda...

And why I think they will never grow beyond much where they are now...

Mazda really seems to have no desire to go balls to the wall. Nissan does, even with barfy products at times.

An idea that is both good and bad...they would have competing corporate cultures, and they would have shared weaknesses and perhaps still not enough shared strength to survive.

Mazda really seems to have no desire to go balls to the wall. Nissan does, even with barfy products at times.

they need to think survival long term, and not balls to the wall.

Nissan is a much larger company and can afford mistakes and products that Mazda can't.

Mazda could have never pulled off the leaf or the GTR for example, and they don't have a larger sedan as good as the Maxima, and they don't have a more conventional sports car like the 370Z...RX-8 was quirky and powered by a rotary and sold in tiny numbers at the end...

And the three looks goofy and isn't as fresh as the Ultima.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Sales of new cars have been reaching all-time highs and part of the reason comes down leases. The Detroit News reports that nearly one in three vehicles built for the U.S. is leased. Data from Edmunds shows 2.2 million vehicles were leased in the first half of 2016. Not only is this up 13 percent from the same time year, it is double the volume from 2011. Steven Szakaly, chief economist for the National Automobile Dealers Association tells the Detroit News there is plenty of space for more leases.
      “I think this could easily be 40 percent of the market,” said Sazkaly.
      Why have leases become popular? It comes down to the monthly payment. Compared with payments for auto loans, lease payments are on average 23 percent less. Leasing is also a popular option for younger folks. Jessica Caldwell, analyst for Edmunds says the reason is leasing is like a cell phone contract; low monthly payments and knowing that you can get into a new car in a few years.
      But while leasing is helping new car sales, some analysts are worried this could cause used car prices to go down. Why? A glut of turned in leased vehicles will flood the used car market, causing prices to be slashed to move metal.
      “They’ll swamp the market, they’ll force residuals down,” said Sean McAlinden, chief economist for the Center for Automotive Research.
      The increase in leasing is already having an effect on used car values. Tom Webb, chief economist for Cox Automotive Inc., said 2.55 million vehicles came off lease last year. That number will increase to 3.1 million this year. Automakers are now figuring out ways to sell this glut of vehicles while keeping values up.
      Source: The Detroit News

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Sales of new cars have been reaching all-time highs and part of the reason comes down leases. The Detroit News reports that nearly one in three vehicles built for the U.S. is leased. Data from Edmunds shows 2.2 million vehicles were leased in the first half of 2016. Not only is this up 13 percent from the same time year, it is double the volume from 2011. Steven Szakaly, chief economist for the National Automobile Dealers Association tells the Detroit News there is plenty of space for more leases.
      “I think this could easily be 40 percent of the market,” said Sazkaly.
      Why have leases become popular? It comes down to the monthly payment. Compared with payments for auto loans, lease payments are on average 23 percent less. Leasing is also a popular option for younger folks. Jessica Caldwell, analyst for Edmunds says the reason is leasing is like a cell phone contract; low monthly payments and knowing that you can get into a new car in a few years.
      But while leasing is helping new car sales, some analysts are worried this could cause used car prices to go down. Why? A glut of turned in leased vehicles will flood the used car market, causing prices to be slashed to move metal.
      “They’ll swamp the market, they’ll force residuals down,” said Sean McAlinden, chief economist for the Center for Automotive Research.
      The increase in leasing is already having an effect on used car values. Tom Webb, chief economist for Cox Automotive Inc., said 2.55 million vehicles came off lease last year. That number will increase to 3.1 million this year. Automakers are now figuring out ways to sell this glut of vehicles while keeping values up.
      Source: The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      What is the best way to sell a vehicle? Is it through a dealership or a factory store? For Karma Automotive - the reincarnation of Fisker - plans to do both.

Automotive News reports that by the end of this year, 10 franchised dealerships in key markets around the U.S. and Canada will begin selling the Revero. The dealers picked already sell brands like Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini, and Porsche.

"These guys really understand this customer. They get that it's not moving metal and pushing volume like the mass-market guys have to," said Jim Taylor, Karma's chief marketing officer.

Alongside the dealers, Karma will have a few brand experience centers" (aka factory stores) in states allow this type of retail experience. Taylor said the stores would allow Karma to control its brand message, and provide reassurance to the dealers that "it's living up to the same standards it expects of them."

"When you control your own store, you live it every day, so you have to walk the walk, So I think in a good way it puts a lot of pressure on yourself to deliver the same level of performance," said Taylor.

Karma plans on showing the Revero next month.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Mitsubishi Motors brought in investigators to answer a question; why did they manipulate fuel economy figures on a number of their models? The results of the investigation were announced yesterday and it was a combination of various decisions and factors that led to it.

The investigation criticized the company for "not having the manufacturing philosophy of an automaker". A key example comes from the company not rallying their workers to help them back on track after two major scandals. Instead, it was focused on cutting costs wherever it could. This caused Mitsubishi engineers to pull off the impossible task of improving fuel economy on their current engines and not developing new ones. There was also the feeling that workers couldn't speak up about reaching these impossible targets.

The investigation also revealed that management failed to the address the possibility of something fishy going on with the fuel economy testing. In 2005, a new employee brought up concerns about fuel economy figures being made up. This was brushed off by managers. Six years later, a compliance survey addressing other falsifications were not brought to Mitsubishi executives.

“The problem is not only with the testing, certification, or the development department. It’s a collective failure of Mitsubishi Motors as a whole, starting from the management,” said Yoshiro Sakata, one of the investigators appointed by the company at a briefing yesterday.

“I take the panel’s recommendation seriously,” Mitsubishi Motors Chairman Osamu Masuko in a statement.

“The efforts we’ve been making since I took over in 2005 haven’t been enough.”

The investigators made a number of recommendations to prevent something like this from happening again. They include,
      Revamping development Making vehicle certification department independent from the research and development department Restructure the organization structure Being more transparent Understanding laws Be willing to find and tackle violations

Source: Bloomberg, Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Volvo Cars of North America, LLC - Up 52.8% (8,584 Vehicles Sold This Month, 45,238 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Mercedes-Benz USA - Up 7.2% (32,288 Vehicles Sold This Month, 213,420 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Kia Motors America - Up 6.5% (59,969 Vehicles Sold This Month, 388,296 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Hyundai Motor America - Up 5.6% (75,003 Vehicles Sold This Month, 449,063 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      American Honda Motor Co. - Up 4.4% (152,799 Vehicles Sold This Month, 945,154 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Audi of America - Up 4% (18,364 Vehicles Sold This Month, 115,298 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Subaru of America, Inc. - ​Up 3.1% (52,093 Vehicles Sold This Month, 331,551 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Mazda North American Operations - Up 2.8% (27,915 Vehicles Sold This Month, 173,269 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Nissan Group USA - Up 1.2% (132,475 Vehicles Sold This Month, 930,589 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Mitsubishi Motors North America - ​Up 0.3% (7,890 Vehicles Sold This Month, 59,824 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      FCA US LLC - 0.0% (180,727 Vehicles Sold This Month, 1,325.536 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Toyota Motor Sales - Down 1.4% (214,233 Vehicles Sold This Month, 1,412,033 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      General Motors Co. - Down 1.9% (267,258 Vehicles Sold This Month, 1,706,173 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Ford Motor Company - Down 2.8% (216,479 Vehicles Sold This Month, 1,569,527 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      BMW Group U.S. - Down 5% (30,551 Vehicles Sold This Month, 209,131 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Volkswagen of America - Down 8.12% (28,758 Vehicles Sold This Month, 177,772 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Maserati North America, Inc. - Down 15.3% (811 Vehicles Sold This Month, 6,013 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Jaguar Land Rover North America -
      Porsche Cars North America, Inc. -

Brands:
      Acura - Down 8.3% (13,674 Vehicles Sold This Month, 92,668 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Alfa Romeo - Down 12% (43 Vehicles Sold This Month, 338 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Audi - Up 4% (18,364 Vehicles Sold This Month, 115,298 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      BMW - Down 4.4% (25,777 Vehicles Sold This Month, 179,213 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Buick - Up 10.4% (22,960 Vehicles Sold This Month, 127,167 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Cadillac - Up 1.3% (14,341 Vehicles Sold This Month, 87,572 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Chevrolet - Down 5.3% (178,820 Vehicles Sold This Month, 1,185,710 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Chrysler - Down 4% (19,095 Vehicles Sold This Month, 148,398 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Dodge - Down 10% (35,520 Vehicles Sold This Month, 311,658 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Fiat - Down 14% (2,754 Vehicles Sold This Month, 19,346 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Ford - Down 2.7% (207,381 Vehicles Sold This Month, 1,507,132 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      GMC - Up 4.8% (51,137 Vehicles Sold This Month, 305,724 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Honda - Up 5.9% (139,125 Vehicles Sold This Month, 852,486 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Hyundai - Up 5.6% (75,003 Vehicles Sold This Month, 449,063 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Infiniti - Down 4.7% (9,945 Vehicles Sold This Month, 74,923 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Jaguar -
      Jeep - Up 5% (79,246 Vehicles Sold This Month, 543,714 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Kia - Up 6.5% (59,969 Vehicles Sold This Month, 388,296 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Land Rover -
      Lexus - Down 6.5% (27,890 Vehicles Sold This Month, 179,454 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Lincoln - Down 4.6% (9,098 Vehicles Sold This Month, 62,395 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Maserati - Down 15.3% (811 Vehicles Sold This Month, 6,013 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Mazda - Up 2.8% (27,915 Vehicles Sold This Month, 173,269 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Mercedes-Benz - Up 3.6% (28,523 Vehicles Sold This Month, 191,300 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      MINI - Down 8% (4,774 Vehicles Sold This Month, 29,918 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Mitsubishi - Up 0.3% (7,890 Vehicles Sold This Month, 59,824 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Nissan - Up 1.7% (122,530 Vehicles Sold This Month, 855,666 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Porsche -
      Ram Trucks - Up 5% (44,069 Vehicles Sold This Month, 302,082 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      smart - Up 11.8% (493 Vehicles Sold This Month, 3,086 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Sprinter - Up 51.3% ( Vehicles Sold This Month, 3,086 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Subaru - Up 3.1% (52,093 Vehicles Sold This Month, 331,551 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Toyota - Down 0.5% (186,343 Vehicles Sold This Month, 1,232,579 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Volkswagen - Down 8.12% (28,758 Vehicles Sold This Month, 177,772 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
      Volvo - Up 52.8% (8,584 Vehicles Sold This Month, 45,238 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Click here to view the article
  • Who's Online (See full list)