Please watch yourselves

At 5 pm today, two blocks from here, a young man inexperienced on his motorcycle lost his life when he was hit by a car. Both people involved are residents of my development. Witnesses said his head was almost off his body and that it took a long time to get the blood washed off the hot pavement.

I feel so bad for both families. Just senseless loss. Another example of why I do not like motorcycles.

• Agree 1

working in the ER, i see a lot of motorcycle vs whatever come in. sometimes its the riders fault for being stupid, sometimes both parties made small miscalculations, and then there are the honest accidents where the cyclist wasnt seen or it was just unpreventable. in any case its rarely a happy ending. i know people have freedom of choice and all but for the love of every thing Holy, wear a helmet, it helps. even bicylist wear em.

Though it was not a motorcycle accident, I was called out to a pedestrian vs. car (MVA) last week. The driver and the ped apparently had an arguement; the ped being a 15 y-o boy, the dirver being a male in his 40s. The driver turned his car around, got up to a good speed and struck the kid. The police had us close the roadway down for 2 hours while they conducted their invesitagtion and interviewed witnesses. The boy was medivac'ed (taken by helicopter) after our EMS crew stabilized him (head trauma and lacerations to extremities). Not a pretty seen, and the indent in the Honda Accord's windshield of the kid's head was a reminder of how dangerous a car can be to pedestrians.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

A woman was struck and killed on State Route 315 when I was driving to work Monday...the accident scene was not a pretty site.

I do not ride a motorcycle, but both my wife and I like to ride bicycler, and car to bike things are scary that way.

Hopefully the guy in new jersey who struck a 15 year old kid is going to jail for a long time....

And yeah, every time I think about getting a motorcycle someone I know is hurt or killed on one. Working as a corner worker at Mid Ohio several years ago and flagging/course working motorcycle races convinced me that maybe I liked 4 wheels better than 2.

A Miata is probably as close to a motorcycle as I am gonna get in this life time....

After reading a local news article, apparently the other vehicle that was involved did not actually collide with the motorcycle. Picture showed a gray and black crotch rocket type bike with red trim. The scene is on my walking route... and there is still blood on the street. Sickening. Why leave such a horrible reminder when everyone is local and has to travel through there? :(

Here in washington state one is required to go to motorcycle school and get certified which shows up on your license before you can even take delivery of a bike. This helps to minimize morons who get a big bike and do not know how to ride.

i would love to have a motorcycle again. had one in high school and then dad said i could keep the bike or sell it and get a car for college.

now I have a hard time rationalizing a motorcycle when i have kids i need to be around for. One thing is for sure, if I had a motorcycle, i would wear a helmet and gear.

I almost would get one of these, mainly just because they are a little more visible to other drivers....

can-am-spyder-motorcycle2.jpg

Yeah it's always sad to see an accident of any kind, especially when it's close to home.

I am a huge motorcycle fan although I only currently own a project of a dirt bike, but it seems for evey 1 good rider out there there are 15 that you shake your head at. (I know I'm one of them) I mean I'm young and feel invincible and love speed. It's so imporant to ride overly defensively AND offensively on a bike as well as having the right gear. Sandels, shorts, and, t shirt will never be enough not even for your 49cc moped. It sucks in the summer to wear armor but, you have to do it. I know of many people saved by good gear.

I love the fact that I was able to take the $25 Motorcyle safety course and then get my endorsement and be able to ride any bike, but so many people aren't ready to ride the liter bikes, but seem to start there. the US needs a graduated license system liek the rest of the world. A 250cc bike is still plenty fast and personally I think they are wickedly fun to ride. Then once you have experence you can have your 700 cc bikes, then move to liter bikes. I spent some time on a Yamaha R1 and my expirence was limited and mostly on dirt prior to that bike. That bike is just wicked. When your winding out 1st gear to 104 before you even shift into 2nd, you have to realise how responsible you have to be. As a bad bike rider you have to realise most cars don't realise how fast you come up on them and how not visible you are. On a 40 mph road I would probably do about 70-75 and you blow by cars and the drivers don't even know what happened untill you are 2-3 car lengths infront of them. Then I had a real close freind have a terrible accident, kind of put everything in to perspective and I'm much more tame these days. My dad has a 125 zuma that I have learned to have fun on at much safer speeds.

Reg,

Check out BRP's site theres usually demo trucks that come in town and you drive them around in a pack for a good 30 minutes. Very intresting machines. Having drove one I understand their purpose but It's like relearning a bicycle when you hit the twisties.

Edited by @dmin

Here in washington state one is required to go to motorcycle school and get certified which shows up on your license before you can even take delivery of a bike. This helps to minimize morons who get a big bike and do not know how to ride.

I think Colorado has something like that, but a buddy of mine in Denver nearly killed himself several times the first year after buying a Kawasaki Ninja a few years ago...he'd had previous experience w/ a 50cc bike back home in India, but the Ninja was a bit more of a handful..

My brother had several British bikes in the '60s-70s, took off about 20 years from riding after a couple bad accidents, but in the last 15 years has bought several older Yamahas and Hondas...rides the backroads of rural Ohio, seems to have a lot of fun doing it.

I've never ridden a bike, but wouldn't mind trying one sometime..though I think I'd prefer a Boxster or other small open sports car.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

I think Colorado has something like that, but a buddy of mine in Denver nearly killed himself several times the first year after buying a Kawasaki Ninja a few years ago...he'd had previous experience w/ a 50cc bike back home in India, but the Ninja was a bit more of a handful..

My brother had several British bikes in the '60s-70s, took off about 20 years from riding after a couple bad accidents, but in the last 15 years has bought several older Yamahas and Hondas...rides the backroads of rural Ohio, seems to have a lot of fun doing it.

I've never ridden a bike, but wouldn't mind trying one sometime..though I think I'd prefer a Boxster or other small open sports car.

Having ridden and then given the choice of my wife and kids or my bike, I gladly gave up the bike to be around for the kids and wife. Bikes are great when your young and single, but as we age and get slower responses, I like more steel around me now. :P

Aye ... such senseless loss.

Thoughts/prayers to the families/friends of all those involved.....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Death tore the pages all away" __ Kenney Chesney __ 'Who You'd Be Today'

I feel bad for the family. But depending upon the circumstances, some riders deserve to have their guts paint the road.

Summer's in full swing and so are the morons in sandals riding R1's. I'd be less annoyed except that many of these riders create dangerous situations for themselves and others on the road. Just today I had some lunatic on the highway pass me on the right, sharply cut to the left and then weave between several vehicles before opening up when the coast was clear.

Turns out, we were headed to the same motorcycle dealership. I chewed him out in the parking lot before he got back on his bike. As he left, the bike cut out twice before he hit the road, because he couldn't keep his clutch in the friction zone. So he duckwalked to the road, revved it like mad, and blew through an intersection on a yellow light, right in front of a car turning left. Real pro.

Sandels, shorts, and, t shirt will never be enough not even for your 49cc moped.

Often, these are the same morons that wear a back protector with their t-shirt. Because that'll help a lot.

• Agree 1

Oh my God. On Thursdays I visit my mother for supper. I left a bit early since I'm bumming around these days. I came upon an accident about 2 miles south of my house, people were stopped in the road, it had just happened. I saw a white Cobalt sedan parked on the shoulder in the opposing lane, right side headlight dangling by the wiring, antifreeze puddled on the road beneath it. I could not see what was ahead. There were at least two vehicles in front of me. I could see that the left lane was clear, so I creeped into the lane and proceeded at a crawl. I saw a white Chevy Express passenger van with yellow "SCHOOL STUDENTS" stickers on the side and rear. Beneath the van was an orange sport bike. People were on their cell phones and in the roadway checking on people in another car that was off the road. Then I looked to my left and immediately became horrified. In the ditch was a young man's body, motionless, arms at his side. Wearing jeans, a striped shortsleeve shirt and a helmet, the shirt was pulled up. His clothes, helmet and stomach were abraded from sliding across the pavement. His visor was partially broken, but I couldn't see his face. His complexion was gray, the color of death. It was a scene seared into my mind's eye as I proceeded to pass at idle speed. No one was ministering to the boy. I traveled in silence.

A short while ago on my way home, emergency personnel had the road blocked. I stopped and asked if the accident was fatal. The official said "yes sir"... I wonder how long it will take to erase the image of this young person out of my mind.

People ask me how can I stand to see accident scenes, but in reality as a fire police officer I'm usually a distance away from the scene, as I'm there to redirect traffic. If I was 15 minutes earlier to the ped/MVA I posted above, I may have seen the kid lying in the street. Most of the accidents I've been on since my beginning with the fire police have not been fatal or near fatal; at most the injured are transported by the ambulance or to a medivac and I don't see them. Other, older fire police officers I've worked with, especially those in officer positions, usually get to see the scene firsthand. Bill, hopefully you haven't been too tramatized by what you saw, though I'm sure the memory will last a while.

Having ridden and then given the choice of my wife and kids or my bike, I gladly gave up the bike to be around for the kids and wife. Bikes are great when your young and single, but as we age and get slower responses, I like more steel around me now. :P

I agree....plus with a small sports car, I can easily have a radio, a beverage, a top if things get wet, hot, or windy, a place to haul real luggage, and I can drive it in the winter.

Still, having ridden motorcycles, there is NOTHING like a motorcycle for fun.

But I have a wife and kids also, and I want top be around for them.

People ask me how can I stand to see accident scenes, but in reality as a fire police officer I'm usually a distance away from the scene, as I'm there to redirect traffic. If I was 15 minutes earlier to the ped/MVA I posted above, I may have seen the kid lying in the street. Most of the accidents I've been on since my beginning with the fire police have not been fatal or near fatal; at most the injured are transported by the ambulance or to a medivac and I don't see them. Other, older fire police officers I've worked with, especially those in officer positions, usually get to see the scene firsthand. Bill, hopefully you haven't been too tramatized by what you saw, though I'm sure the memory will last a while.

It can be very traumatic.

I had a good friend when I was a boy, his name was "RED" Ray, he was an engeneer for the Nickel Plate Road/Norfolk and Western-Now Norfolk Southern.

He was running a train in 1962 and killed a young woman who ran the crossing gates in a VW Beetle. You can't stop a train on a dime....

I knew him around 1982...twenty years later, it still really bothered him, although there was nothing that he could have done.

When I was 14 or 15 (also around 81 or 82) I saw a train hit a young woman driving a small car (Chevy Vega). Train was going 55-60 miles an hour at the time....dragged the car a quarter of a mile.

She lived, it wasn't pretty.

A few years back, (about twelve) my sixteen year old daughter was 4 years old. We lived in a house that faced the railroad tracks, and another young woman (teenage girl) ran the lights and got struck by a train, car caught fire. Daughter ran and got my wife, who called 911....the girl made it....daughter was really bothered by it.

About ten miles up the track the same damn train struck a man walking down the tracks and almost killed him. Friend of mine that works for the railroad said that day at work REALLY bothered the guy at the throttle of the train...

i actually just got my permit about a month ago. im eyeballing the 250 class, the honda cbr250r to be exact. its perfect for what i want, a commuter bike. 25hp is plenty enough to get down the road and keep me out of trouble. i like speed. i need slower vehicles to keep me governed if you will. my buddy has a yzr6... and has seen 180 on it. absolutely ridiculous. i may eventually move to a 600, but there is no need to go anymore than that in my mind unless it pulls double duty for track days.

Edited by cletus8269

Were I to get a bike, I think I would get a Harley Sportster 1200. I like smaller, more nimble vehicles, and I like speed.

Local HOG group is a great bunch of people, and it would be a cool way to get out and do social events.

I haven't heard any new developments regarding the first accident in my neighborhood, but in the second accident (in TWO DAYS very local to me!), the 20 year old rider rear-ended the school van that was stopped in the road waiting for a car ahead of it to turn, got thrown and was hit and run over by the Cobalt coming in the opposing lane. I hope he felt no pain.

• Agree 1

I've seen a few idiots blasting down the freeway as fast at their bikes will take them--and this is at night when there's much less traffic, but still a lot. They split lanes, weave in and out of traffic, pop wheelies, and generally drive far fatster than the speed limit. Granted we all do, but if the flow of traffic is like 10-20mph over--so around 80-90mph!--and you're blasting past us like we're standing still, then you're going too damn fast. And only every once in a while, do i see any of these idiots wearing gear. I really hope they get pulled over for doing that. I really do. Given the alternative, it's better they lose their license than their life.

I'd like a bike just for fun, and maybe just because they're good on gas. but i want to learn how to ride it properly first.

Rider safety classes are given at low cost at our local Harley Davidson dealership (I think the oldest Harley dealership in the USA).

Also IIRC by the State of OHIO...

Tray a safety class and see what you think.

http://www.adfarrow.com/ridersedge_intro.asp

http://www.adfarrow.com/ridersedge_intro.asp

Another accident/fire police call Saturday night... 9:30-ish PM, a motorcyclist traveling on Route 130 North went through an intersection an struck a pedestrian who attempted to cross the road (investigation was trying to determine if the motorcyclist had the green light or not). Basically split the pedestrian in half; motorcyclist (a north NJ cop) was thrown from the bike. Medivac took both to the nearest trama center, no word still on either's condition. Roadway needed to be cleaned before NJDOT would reopen. Relieved at 3:00 AM (I did not see the accident scene; was on nearby traffic duty).

I will never own one. In addition to the strangers outlined herein, I lost a cousin on a dirt/street bike hybrid in 1978. To those who wish to own them, please be aware of the danger you are in and take the necessary precautions.

• Agree 1

i actually just got my permit about a month ago. im eyeballing the 250 class, the honda cbr250r to be exact. its perfect for what i want, a commuter bike. 25hp is plenty enough to get down the road and keep me out of trouble. i like speed. i need slower vehicles to keep me governed if you will.

If you can admit you have a penchant for speed, you're already smarter than many riders.

For the city, a 250 is fine. But if you need something that has more oomph for the freeway, don't shy away from a Ninja 500R or a Suzuki GS500. And like 250's, they can cheap as chips on the used market.

While the inner child in me likes motorcycles, the adult in me would never allow that purcase :lol: After watching the movie Larry Crowne, I had the desire to go hunt down a scooter :P But in reality the one thing I'd love to purchase is a brand new Segway PT i2:

1287577994_130550066_1-Pictures-of--SEGWAY-2010-Segway-i2-NEW-in-Box-1287577994.jpg

These things are a hoot to operate, and several cities offer Segway Tours (Hershey, Gettysburg and DC are the nearest ones for me). Dorky, and I'd be like a Mall Cop, but I still love these things nonetheless!! :lol:

I've seen tourists on these in town here, with their helmets, knee pads, mouth guards, gloves, chest guards, butt pads, elbow pads, shoulder pads and goggles. And then they fall over. Welcome to Lancaster! :AH-HA:

Edited by ocnblu

I've seen tourists on these in town here, with their helmets, knee pads, mouth guards, gloves, chest guards, butt pads, elbow pads, shoulder pads and goggles. And then they fall over. Welcome to Lancaster! :AH-HA:

Remember exprez Bush Jr fell over trying to ride one. It is a HOOT to see people attempt to ride one when they have no idea about balance.

Actually, they're not as hard to operate as they seem. Once you get the balancing figured out, you're good (should take 10-15 minutes for this task). The wife and I took the Segway "Around the World" tour at Epcot back in '06. The two-hour tour consisted of a half-hour indoor course to learn how to balance, move and control the Segway PT, then the next hour & a half crusing through Epcot's World Showcase before it opened to the guests. I was in love with the Segway prior to this tour, I was totally head-over-heals after. Last year when we were at Epcot they gave 15-minute demonstration rides inside the Innoventions building, so we got to ride them again. I'm going to look into the Hershey tour for the fall :smilewide:

Remember exprez Bush Jr fell over trying to ride one. It is a HOOT to see people attempt to ride one when they have no idea about balance.

I remember that! Hilarious.

i actually just got my permit about a month ago. im eyeballing the 250 class, the honda cbr250r to be exact. its perfect for what i want, a commuter bike.

the 80's through 2007 ninja 250 is a awesome light bike. Much better than the CBR250r in terms of speed and fuel economy plus it has a 14k redline. The only thing is it has a carb. The current 2012 ninja has a carb as well. I haven't rode the honda yet but from the mags I have read they all still choose the Ninja. the honda's 0-60 is about 8.6 seconds... At least the ninja's in the 7 second range. the old ninja will do 110, the current one right at 100. I haven't seen a stock honda do over a 100 yet.

Were I to get a bike, I think I would get a Harley Sportster 1200. I like smaller, more nimble vehicles, and I like speed.

Local HOG group is a great bunch of people, and it would be a cool way to get out and do social events.

There isn't such a thing as a nimble Harley, they are desgined to feel heavy and solid. Check out the Yamaha cruisers, they are much more nimble and honestly, feel better overall going down the road. If you get heat from a HD owner then you shouldn't associate with them in the first place.

If you can admit you have a penchant for speed, you're already smarter than many riders.

For the city, a 250 is fine. But if you need something that has more oomph for the freeway, don't shy away from a Ninja 500R or a Suzuki GS500. And like 250's, they can cheap as chips on the used market.

Oh boy do I love speed, but I love living as well, it's tough spot to live in.

The ninja 500 is the better bike mechanically, but the GS 500 looks better to me.

250's actually are hot on the used market and getting insanely more money than they deserve becasue they get into the 70 mpg's. Guy I work with has an 93 ninja 250 and he has been able to get it into the 80's while doing 75 on the freeway.

It is a shame we only have noisy loud Harley as an American builder of bikes. Should be more builders here that are American owned

I know it really saddens me, Harely's have come a long way and are very well built and durable but there ego is ruining there bikes. It would be very hard for a newbie to get comfrotable on one. I have ridden a few at there demo events and I can't ever just trust the bike. I'm always counter balancing which as heavy as they are tires you out. While say on a FZ-6R (an upright riding position and tuned down kind of R6) I can always just trust the bike and it's comfy and wickedly awesome fun to tip over in the corners. I have taken out a couple Yamaha v star's and compared to the harelys they just feel much litghter and confident down the road. They just don't have that solid over built feel. Plus it's 2012 F***ING Water cool that motor.

• Agree 1

I want to start an American sports bike company with 250cc, 600cc, 1000cc and a hyper bike. Just like BMW dominated with its solid 1000RR efforts in the liter class.

Well HD ruined Buell completely so you can blame them (although Buell himself signed the dell even though his lawyer said "no"), but his contract with HD has allowed Erik to start racing and start a company again. (he had a certain no compete time frame)

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/motorcycles/1190rs/ there only bike starts a cool $39,999. I was lucky enough to sit on it at the bike show this past winter.

If you want an american as walmart motorcycle, you can look into http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/ they are all 250's for now I think. They are designed in the US buy almsot entirely made in china.

There's too much competition and not enough demand to enter the the US market as a new motorcycle company. sinc you would need to sell your 250 for 3,900 which is damn near impossible to do yourself. If you want to use, say a Honda motor, you have to pay royalties out the butt. Then go through years of DOT red tape, since you want a mass production bike and not a custom bike job. EPA is getting on bike pretty hard thes days too since a 250 bike makes more emissions than a current quarterton truck.

It is a shame we only have noisy loud Harley as an American builder of bikes. Should be more builders here that are American owned
I know it really saddens me, Harely's have come a long way and are very well built and durable but there ego is ruining there bikes. It would be very hard for a newbie to get comfrotable on one. I have ridden a few at there demo events and I can't ever just trust the bike. I'm always counter balancing which as heavy as they are tires you out. While say on a FZ-6R (an upright riding position and tuned down kind of R6) I can always just trust the bike and it's comfy and wickedly awesome fun to tip over in the corners. I have taken out a couple Yamaha v star's and compared to the harelys they just feel much litghter and confident down the road. They just don't have that solid over built feel. Plus it's 2012 F***ING Water cool that motor.

I agree I suspect you could build a whole line of lightweight bikes starting at 100CC, 250CC, 500CC and 750CC and as a quality built bike with almost no noise and clean emissions clean up in the bike industry.

I want to start an American sports bike company with 250cc, 600cc, 1000cc and a hyper bike. Just like BMW dominated with its solid 1000RR efforts in the liter class.

You and I are thinking on the same line, but I think there is an under served demand for small CC bikes.

There's too much competition and not enough demand to enter the the US market as a new motorcycle company. sinc you would need to sell your 250 for 3,900 which is damn near impossible to do yourself. If you want to use, say a Honda motor, you have to pay royalties out the butt. Then go through years of DOT red tape, since you want a mass production bike and not a custom bike job. EPA is getting on bike pretty hard thes days too since a 250 bike makes more emissions than a current quarterton truck.

I have to disagree, I think that there are not enough options in the low end and allot of people who would buy a small fuel efficient and emissions clean quite bike would if they had the option. I was at Motorplex this past weekend, they sell Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, Can-Am and Victory bikes and yet only a couple options under 500 CC.

I've wanted to do that too, but I know very little about bikes, and am just starting to learn.

My real dream, since I was a kid, is starting an American sports/super/hyper car company---the American Ferrari, or Porsche or Lotus--and then beat destroy the Europeans at their own game. More recently, I've been considering a bread-and-butter passenger car line as well, with full- and midsized family sedans, compacts, sporty coupes, maybe a musclecar (since that wouldn't really fit in with the sports car brand).

If you have a 50CC to 500CC bike company that is very clean on emissions, I am sure you can sell ton's at the right price point in India and China! :) Good Luck boys.

Buell could have been a credible alternative early last decade. For example, rumour has it, that what is now the Harley V-Rod's engine was initially slated to go into Buell's. The engine is high-revving and liquid-cooled, two traits that were out of character for HD at the time. Also, it has dual overhead-cams!

Essentially, it was the anti-Harley engine, much like the VR-1000 project that Harley scuttled in the mid-90's.

The engine was intended to fit in Buell's XB line, which debuted in 2003'ish. But Harley wanted the engine to also fit a power-cruiser and capitalize on a burgeoning market. So their engineers took over the 'Revolution' project. But the engine grew in weight and they had to change its profile/shape to fit the 'Harley image.' This made the engine about 20 pounds too heavy and unable to shoehorn into the XB's frame.

So Erik Buell had to go back to the drawing board and create a new line of Buell engines based on the air-cooled Harley Sportster powerplant, which he had based his bikes on before. These air-cooled 'Thunderstorm' engines, while very neat, simply couldn't compete with similar bikes from other makes. Also, the design of the XB, which was intended to have a water-cooled engine, obscured the rear piston, meaning the cylinder would become very hot. Buell had to place a loud fan that would kick in when the bike was parked and was an inelegant solution.

Harley got the V-Rod with its incredible engine, but the bike became a dog in terms of sales. It wasn't a 'real' Harley according to Hog-lovers and people buying power-cruisers figured its comparably low displacement equalled gutlessness (totally untrue).

This failed experiment pretty much demonstrates why Buell bit the dust. Despite being a profitable contingent in Harley's stable, HOG's directors were more concerned about selling bandanas and leather chaps. To them, Buell was just a tertiary program. A shame, because a lot of Buell's developments ended up in HD's bikes, and this is especially apparent in the XR1200 Sportster, which uses components from Buell to boost its power output by 30%.

Buell's 1125R/CR bikes use a Rotax engine that is liquid cooled. But every model year, from 08/09-10 faces considerable reliability woes. The 08's had fuel mapping problems which made them horrible to ride in the city, as well as clutch weeping issues. The 09's/'10's fixed those issues, but introduced new problems. The most major one was melting stators, leaving riders stranded. Erik Buell's company sells parts which increase the amount of oil that bathes the stator, but it's a fairly expensive fix.

Apparently, some of the issues with the Rotax are due to metric/imperial conversion problems or miscommunications. My Buell is a mish-mash of both systems and I can imagine this created problems for Rotax, which is Austrian/Canadian and therefore, metric.

Oh boy do I love speed, but I love living as well, it's tough spot to live in.

The ninja 500 is the better bike mechanically, but the GS 500 looks better to me.

I can't speak for the Ninja but I've worked fairly extensively on a few GS500's. When I was training in mechanics, I'd always head for the GS500 we had in the garage because it was brilliantly simple.

Everything about the bike is 'just so.' Positioning of key components is common sense and easy for DIY'ers and the bike performs like a bike should.