2014 Chevrolet Silverado: A Bolder Visualization of GM's Next Generation Pickup Truck (Carscoop)

GMTruckGuy74

Link/source: http://carscoop.blog...ado-bolder.html

2014 Chevrolet Silverado: A Blder Visualization of GM's Next Generation Pickup Truck

2014-Chevrolet-Silverado-CarScoop1.jpg

Move over Ram and F150; this is the new artillery that GM is bringing to the pickup market. The all-new 2014 Chevrolet Silverado is soon to make its official appearance and CarScoop is giving you an early sneak-peak illustration, based on the many prototype models caught on camera.

The current Silverado has been battling it out strongly since 2007, only finishing as bridesmaid to Ford's F-150 on the sales charts, which is one thing for certain that GM would love to change.

The outgoing model has arguably been wearing the bridesmaid's tag when it comes to styling too; sure, it's reasonably appealing with its modern and rugged clothes, but doesn't push any design envelopes. Being a fresh slate for the 2014 model year, Chevrolet is changing this and gunning Ford, Dodge and Toyota head on in the pickup design stakes.

The new all-duty hauler expands on recent GM design themes with it's blunt square-ish and rounded sheet metal pressings. The front is more brash thanks to it's detailed chrome grill (with honeycomb inserts) and headlight surrounds, which incorporate more sophisticated projector headlights and turn signals.

The lower bumper is an all-chrome affair with a shield outline dominating the lower intake's bottom edge, and the fog lights have been better positioned to compliment the lower opening.

As one glances upwards to the hood, they will notice the new twin power dome stampings that convey a sense of aggressiveness to the design. Under the hood, it is expected that a new fuel efficient small block V8 and 3.6-liter V6 power-plants will debut, coupled with more advanced 6-speed transmissions (8-speed automatic is due later down the track).

Behind the business end, the cabin appears fairly conventional; being upright with a moderately raked windshield. Those thick clamshell door frames of the current truck have been slimmed down and as your eye glances to the rear door, a slight up-kick finishes off the side windows.

Below the glasshouse, the body carries on the smooth and chunky appearance of the current look; wheel-arch flares are heavily squared off and there is a lower character line running the length of the truck.

Inside, the more spacious cabin has the same theme continuing from the outside - the dash, door panels and touch-screen center stack look chunky and unique. There is an expected vast array of advanced technologies like radar based cruise control, lane-keep assist, and potentially automated city braking.

Overall, I would say the new design is a progressive and bolder step forward for Chevrolet - it isn't as radical as some would have hoped for, but then GM can't afford to alienate its customer base.

We will have to wait until the next GMC Sierra is revealed to see if the envelope is pushed further. Until then what do you, as the reader, think? Does the latest Silverado have what it takes to de-throne the mighty F-150 off those sales charts?

By Josh Byrnes

All Photos Copyright: CarScoop / Josh Byrnes

I like it, a lot. The front simultaneously looks like the GMT-900 HDs, the GMT-400s, and the early 80s C/K trucks with the stacked headlights.

The side sculpting fixes the biggest styling complaint about the 900s - the doors have no detailing at all, and as a result the truck looks really plain without a bodyside molding.

If they were still making the Avalanche, it would look absolutely killer with this styling language.

I think they improved on the old but I had wished they had gone farther with moving the design forward.

At a glance it still looks like the old truck till you seek the details.

Maybe in person the details will stand out more.

Based on the photo it is not bad I just wished for more change. I will wait till I see one in person before I make a full choice on what I think.

Just a shame the tranny is not going to be ready at intro. I wish GM could get the engines, tranny and new models all in the first year. Too often we are waiting for on part of the equation.

A majority of the talk on the 'net leads one to believe GM will offer three engines for the 1500 series full-size pickups: an all new 4.3L V6, a 5.3L V8, and a 6.2L V8. Of course this is all speculation until GM releases information on the trucks (December 13th is the official reveal, but what powertrain info will be shared at that point is not known).

I think they improved on the old but I had wished they had gone farther with moving the design forward.

At a glance it still looks like the old truck till you seek the details.

Maybe in person the details will stand out more.

Based on the photo it is not bad I just wished for more change. I will wait till I see one in person before I make a full choice on what I think.

Just a shame the tranny is not going to be ready at intro. I wish GM could get the engines, tranny and new models all in the first year. Too often we are waiting for on part of the equation.

Considering that the current F-150 hasnt had what I'd call a major appearance change since 2004 and still does well, perhaps it's not the worst thing in the world if GM just gives the 900s a nip/tuck and brands it as all new. Far more important to truck buyers are power train and capability upgrades.