Why are US engine sizes metric?

I would assume it was because import automakers in the US market used litres...it didn't make sense to have two measurement scales in the same market.

The US tried (and failed) to adopt the metric system in the '70s...I remember in school in the '80s only learning measurements in metric in science classes.

It would seem weird to order a 0.47 liter steak in a restaurant rather than a 16 ounce one.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I would assume it was because import automakers in the US market used litres...it didn't make sense to have two measurement scales in the same market.

Close. When the imports first started coming here, they would list their engine in Cubic Centimeters or CC.

Close. When the imports first started coming here, they would list their engine in Cubic Centimeters or CC.

Ah yeah...like old motorcycles that were 50CC or so...

Ah yeah...like old motorcycles that were 50CC or so...

Even in 1985:

ad_honda_civic_hatchback_brown_when_1985.jpg

It would seem weird to order a 0.47 liter steak in a restaurant rather than a 16 ounce one.

Steak would be measured in grams or kilograms... which is our weight measurement, just like your dry ounces or pounds.

Milliletres or litres are for liquid or volume, like your liquid ounces or gallons.

Ah, yeah...I remember that from a long time ago...I never really think about liquid vs mass weight or measurement of things for that matter.. I never think about buying a gallon of milk or 20 gallons of gas, I just buy milk or a tankful of gas....

The US tried (and failed) to adopt the metric system in the '70s...I remember in school in the '80s only learning measurements in metric in science classes.

It all stems from this abortive attempt at standardization. The public rebelled, and we are left with artifacts of the attempt - this is one of them.

• Agree 1

It all stems from this abortive attempt at standardization. The public rebelled, and we are left with artifacts of the attempt - this is one of them.

Things are weirder in the UK, they still use miles per hour for speed, but measure objects in metric and volumes in metric.

American automakers switched to aclimate once the imports began becoming a major market factor, in a vain attempt to 'go along with the flow'. Its a puzzler in that --as liters-- its a more innaccurate system (every tenth of a liter equals 6 cubes). Thats besides the point that there seems to be a lot more intentional flubbing of displacment to market 'cool' dispalcements with liters, than ever happened with CI.

You could have accuracy in liters too. There's no rule that says you have to stop at one decimal place. They could easily have said that my engine was a 1.364 - or even stuck with cubic centimeters or millilitres (which are the same thing) and called it a 1364.

Naaaa, Americans are too lazy to care about a 6200CC engine. They would rather just say I got me the big one, 8.1L :P

You could have accuracy in liters too. There's no rule that says you have to stop at one decimal place. They could easily have said that my engine was a 1.364 - or even stuck with cubic centimeters or millilitres (which are the same thing) and called it a 1364.

Naaaa, Americans are too lazy to care about a 6200CC engine. They would rather just say I got me the big one, 8.1L :P

Disagree. 3800, often said as Thirty-Eight-Hundred, 3100, 3400, 3900... Americans would use those terms no prob.

I think we should change the name of the GM 3800 to "Gallon Jug".

The only reason I know that conversion is because of the 3.8 Liters/1 Gallon per flush printed on the top of some urinals.

AHAHAHA! I remember thinking that a urinal flush was the same volume as the 232 six in one of my AMC Gremlins.

Let the hilarity ensue.

Personally, I think that there is a marketing opportunity to be had by using CID rather than liters in certain vehicles.

Examples please :P

or more realistically for some of today's GM engines, for example..

Doesn't sound as good as 2.0, 2.4, 3.6, etc does it?

• 1 month later...

^ Pontiac was the first US marque to do that, but it really never caught on; the engines were referred to by the public for what they were: 389, 400, 421, 428, 455, etc. Maybe because Pontiac used it intermixed with CI designations :

228FOR35.jpg

...on later GTOs, too.

Edited by balthazar

Right, the 389 GTOs wore '6.5L' badges, the OHC six Firebirds wore '3.8LOHC" badges, the Grand Am wore '7.4L" badges.... and the later T/A 6.6s, but in between we had many '428's, '400's, '350's, '326's... Pontiac played it a bit loose with switching the displacement systems up; the GTO kept using the emblem cletus posted above in '67-68, even tho the cars were then 6.6L (400s).

hmm never noticec the 3.8 and 7.4 badges. will have to keep an eye out for those at the next shows i go to.

In '68 the OHC-6 went to 250 CI :

3978169865_40f14d03ba_z.jpg

before that it was 230 CI :

EmblemOHC2.jpg

455 Grand Am :

6-pontiac-455-grand-am-1973-rear-fender.

These are the ones (beside the GTO & T/A) that spring to mind WRT Pontiac.

Cadillac used the '8.2 Litre' badging on the Eldorado when the 500 CI came out in '70, it was used at least a few years after that :

eldorado82litresign.jpg

^ Production car displacement badge; I believe so. There were larger production engines, but I don't believe they wore badging (beyond cylinder count).

• • •

cletus :: >>"ford also did the metric thing back in the 60's with the galaxys and the fairlanes correct?"<<

Briefly yes; the Galaxie "7-Litre", new for 1966 :

ford_galaxie_7-litre_side_emblem_3_66.jp

"7-litre Sports Package" was offered for '67, but the actual badging reverted to "428" that year.

The factory race Fairlanes, the '64 Thunderbolts, were 427s, but I see no evidence they wore badges. However, they were commonly lettered with '427' designations, and the '63 Galaxie lightweight race cars wore '427' badges, too. By the time the production Fairlanes/Torinos got RPO 428s (at least by '69, maybe earlier), they were badged as '428's.... so in the 60s at least, Ford seemingly only dabbled with liter designations for 1 year on 1 model.

^

Ford also used 7.0 Litre badging on the '68 Cougar GT-E. I'm not sure any other Mercurys used such badging for the 427/428.

Thanks for the addition. Still a very brief experiment within the 60s. I don't think ChryCo touched it in the 60s.

What imports started using separate liter call-outs (as opposed to part of a model name)?

AMC showed the displacement of engines on the rear sail panel of Gremlin Xs during the 1971-'76 period.

Here's an example of a '74 with the "5-litre V8" (304 CID). If "3.8 litre" was displayed, the car had the 232 CID inline six, and "4.2 litre" denoted the 258 six:

DH-3-L.jpg

AMC showed the displacement of engines on the rear sail panel of Gremlin Xs during the 1971-'76 period.

Here's an example of a '74 with the "5-litre V8" (304 CID). If "3.8 litre" was displayed, the car had the 232 CID inline six, and "4.2 litre" denoted the 258 six:

DH-3-L.jpg

That is one sweet ride. Very sharp :P