Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Industry News: Consumer Reports Criticizes The Turbocharging Trend

15 posts in this topic

William Maley    393

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 5, 2013

The trend of automakers downsizing engines and adding turbochargers to add performance and increase fuel economy has drawn the ire of Consumer Reports.

The publication recently tested eleven different vehicles and found that with rare exception, “the turbocharged cars have slower acceleration and no better fuel economy than the models with bigger, conventional engines.”

Consumer Reports highlights the Ford Fusion which can come equipped with either an optional 1.6L or 2.0L EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder. In CR's testing, the 1.6L EcoBoost Fusion posted the slowest 0-60 MPH of 8.9 seconds among competitors with naturally aspirated engines: Kia Optima (8.6), Hyundai Sonata (8.4), Honda Accord (8.2), Nissan Altima (8.2) and Toyota Camry (7.7).

The 1.6L EcoBoost didn't fare any better when it came time for fuel economy as it scored the lowest as-tested combined number of 25 MPG. The Nissan Altima delivered the best with 31 MPG, followed by the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry with 30.

Similarly, the 2.0L EcoBoost Fusion posted the lowest combined fuel economy number of 22 MPG when compared to rivals with V6s: Toyota Camry and Honda Accord (26) and Nissan Altima (24). As for 0-60 run, the 2.0L posted the slowest time of 7.4 seconds. The Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, and Honda Accord were about a second faster.

CR also highlights the Chevrolet Cruze when equipped with the 1.4L turbo-four. While the 1.4 turbo is quicker than the 1.8L by about 0.8 to 60 MPH, the two got the same 26 MPG combined average during testing.

Source: Consumer Reports, Los Angeles Times

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

ocnblu    733

Interesting. Makes me wonder if the 1.0L Ecoboost 3 will be worth a wait in the Ford Fiesta, or if the 1.6 base motor would be a better bet.

I do like the torquey feel of the 1.4t Ecotec though. I imagine the 2.5 in the Malibu to be a nice, economical choice.

ShadowDog    15

Kinda flies in the face of everything being lamented by so many that small-displacement turbo was the way to go. It might seem there is some work to be done if there is to be any appreciable benefit. I wonder how everything fairs with long-term maintenance thrown in the mix.

pow    106

BMW's N20 motor is really the only turbo four that works: high real world MPG, linear power delivery from idle to redline, zero lag, and pleasing engine note. At idle, it's a bit clattery, but that's the price of direct injection.

Drew Dowdell    4,993

Without describing how they did their testing I'm forced back to my old mantra of "prove it CR". I don't trust any report that comes from them any more because they have too much of an agenda.

dfelt    1,774

Without describing how they did their testing I'm forced back to my old mantra of "prove it CR". I don't trust any report that comes from them any more because they have too much of an agenda.

Agreed, I have seen CR with way too much Agenda to hold them as a valid non bias test company of products.

Plus I think this tax on the size of the engine is driving this whole small size turbo thing as the companies are logically wanting to have universal engines to sell world wide.

Drew Dowdell    4,993

Well simply put, their own test results do not match what everyone else in the real world seems to be getting. I can make a Cruze Eco get 16mpg too, but I can also make it get 51mpg.

dwightlooi    259

I am not going to waste anymore time criticizing Displacement Taxes -- which does nothing to improve fuel economy or emissions. Legislators all over are more than capable of utter stupidity.

The fact of the matter is that from a strictly technical standpoint -- from an engineering standpoint. Reducing displacement and adding forced induction is a horrible way of netting improvements in fuel mileage. And sometimes, it takes a pretty non-technical savvy publication -- like consumer reports to cut through the BS and simply present the facts. It doesn't really achieve a net reduction in fuel consumption and when it does the gains are so marginal (~0.5 mpg) that it's hardly worth the $1000~$1500 and added maintenance forced induction adds to the vehicle.

If you are really serious about fuel economy, the formula is simple.

• Use an Atkinson cam grind (which reduces specific output by ~ 25%)
  • Increase Displacement by 25% (to make up the loss)
  • Reduce the cylinder count if without reducing displacement (going from 4 cylinders to 3)
  • Reduce the number of cams and valves (going to SOHC or pushrods, and 2-valves per cylinder is a start)
  • Use Direct Injection and as high a static compression as you can (approximately 15:1 for 87 octane Atkinson cammed engines)

Do that and you'll net about 12~13% fuel economy gains over the baseline with no performance loss and no cost increase. You'll take a slight refinement hit (from the cylinder count drop) but you can mitigate that with a balancer shaft or engine mountings -- it's not unlike going from a V6 to an I5 or I4.

ocnblu    733

Well I am not fully on the turbo bandwagon, if anyone cares, I've done some complaining about the complexity and longterm maintenance issues in the past. This report just blows up the whole debate again.

cletus8269    69

"Consumer Reports highlights the Ford Fusion which can come equipped with either an optional 1.6L or 2.0L EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder. In CR's testing, the 1.6L EcoBoost Fusion posted the slowest 0-60 MPH of 8.9 seconds among competitors with naturally aspirated engines: Kia Optima (8.6), Hyundai Sonata (8.4), Honda Accord (8.2), Nissan Altima (8.2) and Toyota Camry (7.7)."

:confused0071: they do realize they are testing sedans right? i mean they arent for racing, they are for going from one place to the next... of course the mpg advantage will be less than substantial when you wring out one of these rubberband motors out... it aint what they were made for.

ocnblu    733

Well, have they tested the 2.5L Fusion? Have they tested the 2.5L Malibu? The non-turbo, non eek-Assist Regal and Verano? The 3.6L Impala and LaCrosse? What were their results in testing the previous 3.6L Malibu?

dfelt    1,774

Over all we can go with bigger non turbo 4,6 and 8 size engines and run them on CNG with a cleaner longer life than on petrol. Allaround far greener and better for everyone than to go to rubber band turbo's.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      A fresh stack of spy photos of the upcoming Hyundai Veloster N have made their way on to the web this week. The photos show the mule losing some of the camo that we have seen in previous spy shots and are able to pull some new details. The most apparent item is a new rear wing mounted the roof. We can also make out a set of large tailpipes and the front grille extending towards the bottom of the bumper, possibly hinting that there is an intercooler hiding behind it.
      We also got an idea of what is in store for the standard Veloster. Hyundai has decided to drop the split-window liftgate of the current model and go for a regular hatchback. We also note there is coupe-like styling for the roofline.
      The Veloster N will be the second model from Hyundai's new N performance lineup and the first N model to arrive in the U.S. It is expected that the Veloster N will share the powertrain found in the i30 N - a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder 246 horsepower. A performance package bumps power to 270.
      Source: Automobile, Motor1

View full article
    • By William Maley
      A fresh stack of spy photos of the upcoming Hyundai Veloster N have made their way on to the web this week. The photos show the mule losing some of the camo that we have seen in previous spy shots and are able to pull some new details. The most apparent item is a new rear wing mounted the roof. We can also make out a set of large tailpipes and the front grille extending towards the bottom of the bumper, possibly hinting that there is an intercooler hiding behind it.
      We also got an idea of what is in store for the standard Veloster. Hyundai has decided to drop the split-window liftgate of the current model and go for a regular hatchback. We also note there is coupe-like styling for the roofline.
      The Veloster N will be the second model from Hyundai's new N performance lineup and the first N model to arrive in the U.S. It is expected that the Veloster N will share the powertrain found in the i30 N - a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder 246 horsepower. A performance package bumps power to 270.
      Source: Automobile, Motor1
    • By A Horse With No Name
      Consumer reports listed the Escalade as one of the ten worst vehicles to buy in a recent article.
      What can be done to improve perception of Cadilalc vehicles?
      From the article;
      It’s easy to become enamored when a car is shiny and new, complete with a new-car smell. But over time that seemingly great choice can look like a bad decision.

Here at Consumer Reports we spend a lot of time helping consumers make the best choices. But the same testing and surveys we use to make those determinations also show us, and you, products to avoid.

To help you keep buyer’s remorse at bay when it comes to car shopping, we’ve assembled a list of the worst picks in 10 popular categories based on the lowest Overall Score. Our Overall Score provides a complete picture of each model, combining road-test score, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction, and safety, including government and insurance industry crash-test results.

While some of these cars have their fans, we’d suggest that these stay off your shopping list. There are literally many better choices in each category. Consider one of our Top Picks, or use our new-car selector to find the models that excel in the areas that matter most to you.

1. Cadillac Escalade -Lowest Rated Luxury SUV

The Escalade lacks the character of a true luxury SUV; it rides too stiffly and doesn't stop or handle with the grace of its peers. Despite casting a massive shadow, the Cadillac is not even that comfortable inside. The second-row seats are too low, and the third row is cramped. The Cue infotainment system is confounding. Reliability ranks worst in class. We consider a well-trimmed Chevrolet Suburban or GMC Yukon XL to be a smarter buy.
    • By William Maley
      Volvo's performance arm, Polestar will be spun off into its own separate brand that will focus on high-performance electric vehicles. The announcement made today confirms a rumorpile report from last week about Polestar working on a lineup of high-performance electric vehicles.
      “Polestar will be a credible competitor in the emerging global market for high performance electrified cars. With Polestar, we are able to offer electrified cars to the world’s most demanding, progressive drivers in all market segments,” said Håkan Samuelsson, president and chief executive of Volvo Cars.
      The brand will share “technological and engineering” efforts with Volvo. Polestar will continue to offer upgrades for Volvo cars, under the new Polestar Engineered label.
      Plans for future products will be announced sometime in the fall.
      Source: Volvo
      Press Release is on Page 2

Polestar announces new management team to develop electrified performance brand for Volvo Cars

Volvo Cars, the premium car maker, has announced that Polestar, its performance car arm, is to become a new separately-branded electrified global high performance car company, marking the latest stage in Volvo’s ongoing transformation.

In order to drive the development of the brand, Volvo Cars also announced today that Thomas Ingenlath, Senior Vice President Design at Volvo, will assume the position of Chief Executive Officer at Polestar. Mr Ingenlath has been the inspiration behind Volvo’s award winning design renaissance in recent years.

“Thomas heading up the Polestar organisation shows our commitment to establishing a truly differentiated stand-alone brand within the Volvo Car Group,” said Håkan Samuelsson, president and chief executive of Volvo Cars.

Mr Ingenlath will be joined at Polestar by Jonathan Goodman, who will become Chief Operating Officer. Mr Goodman moves from his position as Senior Vice President Corporate Communication at Volvo Cars.

“With 25 years of commercial experience in the automotive industry, Jonathan is ideally placed to provide operational experience alongside Thomas’s vision, building on the experienced management team that will drive the Polestar brand forwards” said Mr Samuelsson.

“Polestar will be a credible competitor in the emerging global market for high performance electrified cars. With Polestar, we are able to offer electrified cars to the world’s most demanding, progressive drivers in all market segments.”

Volvo Cars acquired 100 per cent of Polestar Performance in July 2015, having worked together in motorsport since 1996. In the future, Polestar will offer Polestar branded cars that will no longer carry a Volvo logo, as well as optimisation packages for Volvo’s range of cars under the Polestar Engineered brand.

Polestar will enjoy specific technological and engineering synergies with Volvo Cars and benefit from significant economies of scale as a result of its connection to Volvo. These synergies will allow it to design, develop and build world beating electrified high performance cars.

Mr Ingenlath said: “I am really excited to take up the challenge of establishing this exciting brand, developing a fabulous portfolio of bespoke products and channelling the passion we have throughout the Polestar team. The next chapter in Polestar’s history is just beginning.”

Polestar will make further announcements about its products, industrialization and commercial plans in the autumn.  

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Volvo's performance arm, Polestar will be spun off into its own separate brand that will focus on high-performance electric vehicles. The announcement made today confirms a rumorpile report from last week about Polestar working on a lineup of high-performance electric vehicles.
      “Polestar will be a credible competitor in the emerging global market for high performance electrified cars. With Polestar, we are able to offer electrified cars to the world’s most demanding, progressive drivers in all market segments,” said Håkan Samuelsson, president and chief executive of Volvo Cars.
      The brand will share “technological and engineering” efforts with Volvo. Polestar will continue to offer upgrades for Volvo cars, under the new Polestar Engineered label.
      Plans for future products will be announced sometime in the fall.
      Source: Volvo
      Press Release is on Page 2

Polestar announces new management team to develop electrified performance brand for Volvo Cars

Volvo Cars, the premium car maker, has announced that Polestar, its performance car arm, is to become a new separately-branded electrified global high performance car company, marking the latest stage in Volvo’s ongoing transformation.

In order to drive the development of the brand, Volvo Cars also announced today that Thomas Ingenlath, Senior Vice President Design at Volvo, will assume the position of Chief Executive Officer at Polestar. Mr Ingenlath has been the inspiration behind Volvo’s award winning design renaissance in recent years.

“Thomas heading up the Polestar organisation shows our commitment to establishing a truly differentiated stand-alone brand within the Volvo Car Group,” said Håkan Samuelsson, president and chief executive of Volvo Cars.

Mr Ingenlath will be joined at Polestar by Jonathan Goodman, who will become Chief Operating Officer. Mr Goodman moves from his position as Senior Vice President Corporate Communication at Volvo Cars.

“With 25 years of commercial experience in the automotive industry, Jonathan is ideally placed to provide operational experience alongside Thomas’s vision, building on the experienced management team that will drive the Polestar brand forwards” said Mr Samuelsson.

“Polestar will be a credible competitor in the emerging global market for high performance electrified cars. With Polestar, we are able to offer electrified cars to the world’s most demanding, progressive drivers in all market segments.”

Volvo Cars acquired 100 per cent of Polestar Performance in July 2015, having worked together in motorsport since 1996. In the future, Polestar will offer Polestar branded cars that will no longer carry a Volvo logo, as well as optimisation packages for Volvo’s range of cars under the Polestar Engineered brand.

Polestar will enjoy specific technological and engineering synergies with Volvo Cars and benefit from significant economies of scale as a result of its connection to Volvo. These synergies will allow it to design, develop and build world beating electrified high performance cars.

Mr Ingenlath said: “I am really excited to take up the challenge of establishing this exciting brand, developing a fabulous portfolio of bespoke products and channelling the passion we have throughout the Polestar team. The next chapter in Polestar’s history is just beginning.”

Polestar will make further announcements about its products, industrialization and commercial plans in the autumn.  
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)