JANUARY 2014 CAR SPOTTERS THREAD HERE!!!

ocnblu

Yesterday before the current snow and ice part 6 that has arrived...

A perfect Deep Slate Metallic 2000 Chrysler 300M, even with crystal clear headlights. Mom had the identical car back in 2000-2001. Still look great when well kept:

IMG_8870_zps4a36ce08.jpg

Then later in traffic a new 2014 CTS blazing up behind me, before passing. The front shot is great. The smile on the older guy driving with temp tags (looked fresh from dealer) was second to none, also.

IMG_6673_zps18d80140.jpg

IMG_0225_zps25c2197c.jpg

Saw an Acura RLX today near downtown. Looks much better than the model it replaced.

Yes, especially on the road with the jewel eye lamps. Subdued, but looks luxury and large.

Tonight I was following my 1st spotting of a bright blue 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage...their new small mini car...with temp tags. Nice color. Cheapie car. Makes sense why even Consumer Reports said it's an upgrade only if you were riding around in a rikshaw before...

It always seems that after seeing a new car for the first time, a few days later they are everywhere. I saw a new Cherokee for the first time on NYE, and then over the last couple days have seen 4 more...white, silver, black, and a dark red w/ black wheels and graphics (Trail Hawk?).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Rear, too. And black beltline moldings, block lower fascias, dark gray grille trim, and red Trailhawk and Trail Rated badges, plus a one-inch factory lift. The Trailhawk wheels are the only Cherokee wheels I like. The Limited has a higher base MSRP though. A Trailhawk with one option, the 3.2L V6, has an MSRP of a bit over $31k. Too rich for my blood.

Edited by ocnblu

Saw a black '14 CTS parked on the street in Old Town Scottsdale tonite...first I'd seen up close off of a dealer's lot..looked sharp. It was later behind me in traffic...love the lighting at night.

One small detail I don't like on the new CTS that I notice each time I see one is the grille badge placement...it should be centered vertically in the grille rather than at the top, IMO...the badge at the top of the grille is a Toyota styling cue..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Went to a local Chevy dealer to check out their 2014 SS Sedan in black last night, even got a brochure on it. Salesman said it was the only one they were getting in, as Chevy was only importing 1200 units for 2014 (not sure if that's true or not, haven't followed this car too closely). Was impressed with the interior, still prefer the look of the Caprice PPV over the SS Sedan. On my way home snapped some shots of it in the showroom from outside the closed dealership:

IMG_20140104_224053_142_zps86f6e47f.jpg

[/url]

IMG_20140104_224041_577_zps004e3c8c.jpg

IMG_20140104_224027_396_zpsfd173e60.jpg

IMG_20140104_224010_836_zpsd85f3f25.jpg

Saw one of those handicap-derived vans that look like a bloated Honda Element in the "real world" this week on my way to work. I saw these only at the 2011 or 2012 NYIAS on display; never out on the road:

IMG_20140106_100126_956_zps73e55f14.jpg

Nothing fantastic, but I still love the design of the last generation GMC TopKick and Chevy Kodiak medium-duty trucks. I'm glad I get to see many configurations of these still as PSE&G (Public Service Electric & Gas) bought emense quantities of these trucks from 2003 until the end of production. I always like seeing these crew cab models:

IMG_20140102_085547_763_zps2fbc1177.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

^^Nice SS shots.

Today near work, followed a brand new 2014 Nissan Rogue. First redesigned one I've seen on the road. Much boxier and taller looking than before.

IMG_2699_zpsc6edfb18.jpg

So many Rogues around, old style, shouldn't be long before these ones are.

'68 Chevy C-10, dark red w/ white roof, super sano, for sale at a January swap meet, Allentown PA. Same place :

'66 Malibu coupe, surface rust but solid, needed in & out resto, asking $8800.

'63 Corvair Greenbriar van, blue w/ white stripe, cherry, for sale.

I forget the year, perhaps a '32 American Austin, ex circus clown car, 40-yr old resto, blue & white, asking 12,900 IIRC.

'68 Chevy C-10, dark red w/ white roof, super sano, for sale at a January swap meet, Allentown PA. Same place :

'66 Malibu coupe, surface rust but solid, needed in & out resto, asking $8800.

'63 Corvair Greenbriar van, blue w/ white stripe, cherry, for sale.

I forget the year, perhaps a '32 American Austin, ex circus clown car, 40-yr old resto, blue & white, asking 12,900 IIRC.

I take it you went to the Carlisle-sponsored Auto Mania event in Allentown? I considered it but something else came up that I needed to attend today. In your opinion, is it worth it?

that was it, yes. As to being 'worth it' - it depends on what you are looking for! It was not large, tho there was a little of everything. I get nervous when venues are small (I'd never been there before, but because I never heard of it, I knew it was small), because I don't believe vendors with vintage stuff will show, but they were the bulk of the stuff there. My bottom line is- it makes for a nice January diversion for the gearhead, and the food we ate in the 'food court' building was damned fine, those Amish know how to whip up some grub. I didn't buy anything, but I usually don't.

• Agree 1

A recent gen BMW Z4 hatch coupe. These are very rare for me to see, and I kind of like the rarity/setup/look of them:

IMG_2856_zps380a2799.jpg

Then later in traffic...another one of those depressing new Mitsubishi Mirage buggy cars. Of the few I've seen, 2 have been this same color.

IMG_8376_zps4d4b3086.jpg

I promise you guys, I cannot tell a Tesla Model S from a Jaguar XF anymore. Every car that I think is the XF is actually the Model S.

The nearest Tesla dealer to here is 1 1/2 hours away and they're a niche brand, so I'm surprised to have seen so many.

I promise you guys, I cannot tell a Tesla Model S from a Jaguar XF anymore. Every car that I think is the XF is actually the Model S.

The nearest Tesla dealer to here is 1 1/2 hours away and they're a niche brand, so I'm surprised to have seen so many.

I totally had that same confusion in traffic Saturday night...the shape of the headlights and LED's around them, plus stature of the car. What I thought was a Model S really was a newer XF.

So, yes, it happens...and those 2 cars have similar visuals in many ways.

They deliver to your home. No need to be near a dealer.

Even service is done on the back of a trailer. They give you a loaner while your car is trucked away.

They deliver to your home. No need to be near a dealer.

Even service is done on the back of a trailer. They give you a loaner while your car is trucked away.

They must make a killing delivering from Marietta to Athens, then.

In a typical week, I probably see more Teslas than Jags around here...Jaguars are pretty scarce. Saw an XJ the other day that was so striking in a deep maroon red...I love the roofline of the current XJ, but the rear end is dreadful, IMO...