Got a refinance. what's your recommendation?

So I refinanced my 6 recently, from 4% to 2.24%. and from 5 years to 5.5 years.

I was paying a little more than required previously to round it off at $500/month.

Right now I'm planning to pay $200/2weeks, but the required is ~$360/month.

what would you do?

pay it off faster....

pay the minimum and bank the savings...

something else?

If you are keeping the 6 beyond 5.5 years, the only thing that makes financial sense is paying the lowest grand total possible.

That said, auto loan interest is a strict minimal portion of a payment, so paying extra (assumedly toward the principal) isn't going to do anything near what doing the same on a mortgage will. Ask the lender for an amortization schedule for your loan and you can crunch the numbers yourself.

Edited by balthazar

the balance is just under $22k

I've looked at the amortization schedule, after 4 years, the interest is quite minimal.

I will plan to keep that long as long as it meets my needs.

Edited by loki

Pay the minimum because the rate is so low.  The interest you'll pay on a $22,000 car loan at 2.24% is $1,382.   Even if you got just 1% return on a savings account in 65 months you'd make $1,218.  If you could get a 2% return it is $2,491, you make over $1,100 by having the $22,000 in a CD at 2% and paying the monthly payments.  That is assuming you had a lump sum in the bank and could pay it off now or make payments. 

Even if you are just putting the extra $100 a month in the bank, better to do that, because interest rates will eventually go up, in 4 years your car loan will still be 2.24% and savings accounts might be 3% by then.  No sense paying off a loan quickly right now when loan rates are at historic lows. 

Bank rates probably are not going to go up much in the next couple of years.  If you have any debts with a higher interest rate, definitely pay those off first.  If you have the possibility of having a large purchase in the next couple of years and it makes sense to have cash on hand, such as a down payment for a house or wedding expenses, go ahead and save up for those.  But if the money is just going to sit in the bank and get 1% interest, you might as well pay off the car.

The big down payment is something i'm considering. This is assuming things get better with the job and things only improve with the g/f.

I agree savings rates might only double in the next few years.

Right now i changed my auto pay to round up to the nearest $10, split the payment in 1/2, and doing that every 2 weeks. making just over 1 extra payment a year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go the opposite route and say pay more like you have been doing. For a few reasons.

One, you never know when your driving needs may change. With a 22K payoff, you have little to no equity currently. If you can afford it, the higher payment will help you get into a position of equity quicker, should you need to trade your current car in or sell it for any reason.

Two, the more used to making a higher payment you are, the easier it is to swallow when you upgrade and get a vehicle that may have a higher payment than your current one. It's kind of a nice primer to getting something more expensive in the future.

Three, that little extra money won't affect your monthly budget hardly any, while over time, it will have a considerable affect on your payoff.

Just my .02